Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at people fitting subs underneath the rear seats where the jack and extra storage is. What are the most subs i can fit? Whether it be 8 or 10s. And does anyone have any pictures.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
i saw a guy locally that had all of the storage metal taken out(cut out the carpet and metal) and made a custom box that went from door to door and put a 12" sub im not sure what kind and not sure if it was ported or sealed. but im sure that a lot of money, q-pogic has a setup where you can run 2 8" subs. but it is about $250 and not worth it in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Thanks, how do two 8s sound bass wise? And i saw that someone modified the Q-Logic to fit one 10.
8s hit really high frequency bass. i have never heard 2 8's in real life with this setup. I have seen the 1 10" but that takes a little creativity by creating your own box, i havnt seen a q-logic box modified to fit one 10, but i have seen custom work to do this.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
A lot of guys...ahem...members here say they sound great.
I think the amp you select and the efficiency of the subs make the system; as well as, the adapter you select to splice into the factury wires.
Some of the adapters allow you to "dial in" the voltage feeding the amp, optimising the sound (in theory at this point in my research).

I had (2) 8" bazooka tubes in my last 3 trucks, and like the sound of the efficient 8's. I pushed them hard with an alpine MRV-f450 (If my memory serves correct) Not insane power, but crystal clear and powerful enough to play the music with a little "Drive".

Keep in mind that I play Rock, Metal, country and even classical...not the Boom Boom crap.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
im still trying to figure how im gonaa hide a 10w7 under the rear seat. maybe even two 10w7s.

:confused:

:mad:

:(

:cry:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah I have 2 MTX thunder 6000 10"s that I would like to put under my back seat. they are in a hatchback box right now and I think I will just sit it on my back seat for now. Doesn't look to hard to make a box to fit in the storage. Might do it over the summer.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
My Sub system is 2-8's in the Q-logic haven't even had it a week yet...

I had to turn the gain down on my amp all the way because it was too loud and I needed some control to turn it down from the Head Unit, Yeah, I can't believe I am saying that. The Eclipse Head Unit I have is an 8 Volt output unit so that is part of it...

My system cranks with super tight bass. It is loud and clean and beyond my expectations for the dual 8's in the Q-logic. My sub amp is a TREO Engineering dedicated to the subs. I have 2 Rockford P2's, they just fit depth wise. Install a vertical brace in between the two woofers and a thin piece of Dynamat beneath the P2's magnets.

What it doesn't do is play the kind of sub-bass you can hear down the street and low frequency Hip-Hop Stuff, you will need more than a pair of 8's to do that.

To give you an idea of what works great in my setup, I listen to RUSH, ACDC, Skynrd, Outlaws, Metallica (old stuff), Nirvana, Floyd, Van Halen (old stuff)Megadeth and many of 70's and 80's hard rock stuff.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
92 Posts
My Sub system is 2-8's in the Q-logic haven't even had it a week yet...

I had to turn the gain down on my amp all the way because it was too loud and I needed some control to turn it down from the Head Unit, Yeah, I can't believe I am saying that. The Eclipse Head Unit I have is an 8 Volt output unit so that is part of it...

My system cranks with super tight bass. It is loud and clean and beyond my expectations for the dual 8's in the Q-logic. My sub amp is a TREO Engineering dedicated to the subs. I have 2 Rockford P2's, they just fit depth wise. Install a vertical brace in between the two woofers and a thin piece of Dynamat beneath the P2's magnets.

What it doesn't do is play the kind of sub-bass you can hear down the street and low frequency Hip-Hop Stuff, you will need more than a pair of 8's to do that.

To give you an idea of what works great in my setup, I listen to RUSH, ACDC, Skynrd, Outlaws, Metallica (old stuff), Nirvana, Floyd, Van Halen (old stuff)Megadeth and many of 70's and 80's hard rock stuff.

Hope this helps
Yeah I listen to Country, Classic Rock, and modern rock 98% of the time and that setup would be perfect 98% of the time but when I'm in party mode at the beach or just headed to a party on a friday night with some friends I like to have the deep bass.

I have to pick something i have lying around the house. The only things that could potentially go in my truck is:
1-sony 10 or 2 mtx 10's

The amps I have to choose from are:
cheap 1600 watt Pyle 4-channel amp, Power Acustic fire&ice 400 watt 2-channel amp, (2) PPI amps 2-channel, (1) zapco 75(watts)x2

·
Registered
8 Posts
A lot of guys...ahem...members here say they sound great.
I think the amp you select and the efficiency of the subs make the system; as well as, the adapter you select to splice into the factury wires.
Some of the adapters allow you to "dial in" the voltage feeding the amp, optimising the sound (in theory at this point in my research).

I had (2) 8" bazooka tubes in my last 3 trucks, and like the sound of the efficient 8's. I pushed them hard with an alpine MRV-f450 (If my memory serves correct) Not insane power, but crystal clear and powerful enough to play the music with a little "Drive".

Keep in mind that I play Rock, Metal, country and even classical...not the Boom Boom crap.

+1

In an access cab truck, unless you are willing to either do major mods, or eliminate the usefulness of the entire "access cab" (why the hell would you buy a 4-door truck and turn it into a 2-seater. Thats like buying a 4x4 and lowering it!!!) you will get the most bang-for-the-buck with a Bazooka tube. No need for multiple tubes --- one 10" tube will do all you could want if you amp it correctly, plus it can be removed anytime you want to be able to actually use both sides of the rear seat. This is assuming that you want clean sound, not just volume.

If you are into rap-crap or other types of hip-hop BS then you can either:

A) build a good tuned-port sub box and totally lose the usefulness of the back seat in your truck.

--or--

B) Grow the f____ up and realize that your neighbors and those in cars/trucks around you are NOT impressed with your system, or your taste in "music", and really would appreciate not having to listen to you coming down the street from a half-mile away. Plus, where I live that is good for a $400 ticket for violation of the local sound ordinances!!!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
1-sony 10 or 2 mtx 10's

The amps I have to choose from are:
cheap 1600 watt Pyle 4-channel amp, Power Acustic fire&ice 400 watt 2-channel amp,

Those wouldnt be worth anything if given for free (or paid to use them for that matter) The PPI or Zapco amps are great amps, if they match to power ratings to the woofer. What are the model #s? I can tell you if they would be any good for running subs. As for the pyle, power acoustic, throw them away, please. And dont settle for crappy poopy sound from sony or mtx subs. Check Image Dynamics, Mach5 audio, Elemental Designs, tc-sounds for some much much much better options. Sony and mtx are known for rotten sound in subs (and not much else for that matter). If you are going for under the seat, Elemental Designs has a slim 10 called the SQ10 that is 3" mounting depth with the same sound as a normal 10" sub.

Here is a great 10" sub TC Sounds (dB-500)

Here is the slim 10" Elemental Designs

Please please just dont choose junk, it will sound like well, junk;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't want to spend the money for bazooka tubes nor do I want to have to remove them when people ride in the back. I am trying to get away with using the stuff I already own. :rolleyes:

I am a student at auburn university and I don't think anyone around here minds loud music. Back home I have 3 neighbors and they don't mind loud music. I think the only people, that live on the same road as me, who are annoyed with loud music are the old retired farts that want something to b!tch about. I am very respectful around my neighbors and in neighborhoods when I listen to loud music. My dad is an old retired fart, bless his heart, so I know how they look for things to cry about. :cry:

Anyways the tens I have now are pretty loud but I am not going to waste the access cab feature on speakers so I am looking at a limited amount of airspace. I was thinking about sealing the entire storage and putting one ten in each of the compartments.
Do the stealth boxes require cutting to install them? I really like to keep things simple and easy to remove.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Those wouldnt be worth anything if given for free (or paid to use them for that matter) The PPI or Zapco amps are great amps, if they match to power ratings to the woofer. What are the model #s? I can tell you if they would be any good for running subs. As for the pyle, power acoustic, throw them away, please. And dont settle for crappy poopy sound from sony or mtx subs. Check Image Dynamics, Mach5 audio, Elemental Designs, tc-sounds for some much much much better options. Sony and mtx are known for rotten sound in subs (and not much else for that matter). If you are going for under the seat, Elemental Designs has a slim 10 called the SQ10 that is 3" mounting depth with the same sound as a normal 10" sub.

Here is a great 10" sub TC Sounds (dB-500)

Here is the slim 10" Elemental Designs

Please please just dont choose junk, it will sound like well, junk;)
There is no doubt that those are great sounding subs but I am not looking at spending any money on speakers. I admite the sony sub is not a high quallity woofer and neither are the Mtx's but I have to say that the mtx's sound dang good it the box I have them in now. They can be loud enough to satisfy me, hit hard enough to make me feel like I am standing infront of a wall of concert speakers, and have tight controlled bass for my rock music. I really like mtx's, they aren't the cheep one's just middle of the road and they have lasted me for about 5 years now.

The PPI amps are not sub amps, I used them to power my MB quarts front and rear in my eagle talon. They will probably be used to serve the same purpose in my truck. The Zapco was used to power the subs in my eagle talon and its just as powerfull as the 400 watt power acoustic. I my just use it to power my subs. The 1600 watt amp is in my old tahoe and its running 2-550w audiobahnn High excurtions. The amp does suck but it is not intended to sound good just be loud and it deff does that!
I may buy some new subs later on down the road but its hard to let go of my mtx's.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Well, the thing is, the subs I listed arent much money. I thought you were buying subs. And the PPI amp does not have to be a "sub" amp, it just has to have enough power to run things. As for the Zapco, it may only be 400w, but I bet that it actually puts out 400w, not the ovverrated number like the PowerAcoustic and especially the pyle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, the thing is, the subs I listed arent much money. I thought you were buying subs. And the PPI amp does not have to be a "sub" amp, it just has to have enough power to run things. As for the Zapco, it may only be 400w, but I bet that it actually puts out 400w, not the ovverrated number like the PowerAcoustic and especially the pyle.
Yeah the PPI's and the zapco's are 8 or 9 years old but they are way better quality than the pyle and power acoustic. They were in a 97 eagle talon when I bought it. The guy that sold me the car didn't know anything about the system and he said it wasn't working when I bought it. He also said that in 98 he paid $3,000 for the whole setup. I thought he was full of sh** but when I took it buy to my local car stereo ship to show my friends they said that the PPI's were top of the line in 98 as well as the MB quart components. They said that zapco was good but not the best in 98 and the sony cd player that was in the car probably cost 300 or 400$ back then.
I paid $1300 for the car and fixed the audio system by tightening a loose wire in the distributer block. He kept his subs so I dropped my MTx's in the back and I had a bad a$$ system. The MB quarts would not distort no matter how loud I played them.

I am hoping that the Mbquarts will fit my tundra. Havent pulled the panels off yet to see. Kinda just want to transfer that system to my tundra.

your right though that zapco is a very strong amp and I'm betting its way over 75x2 watts. The PPI's don't say how many watts they are.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm going the Q-Logic route in my 2006 Tundra Access Cab w/captains chairs. I'll be running two 8" Image Dynamic subs. My question is which amplifier will provide adequate power for the subs and still fit under one of my front seats? mc71457 says that he using a Treo Engineering amp. I couldn't find any dimensions listed for the Treo. Will it fit under my seats? If not, anybody know which amps will? Thanks all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I gotta 06 access cab tundra that I'll be starting work on soon. I've removed the back seat so far and will be fabbing up brackets to replace it with 2 bucket seats. The seats are small enough that I can build a custom fiberglass console type enclosure to fit 2 arc audio extreme 10s, yet still be comfortable for people to sit in the back. hopefully I'll have the seats in this coming weekend. And soon after, I hope to start working on the box.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I completed the install in my 06 Tundra Access Cab just before the USACi finals last year. (I needed something to listen to on the drive up there to judge!!) After a ton of research, lots of time staring at the back of the truck and many beers, I ended up using the Q-Logic (my first pre-fabbed box) and 2 CDT 8’s. The cost of the Q-Logic vs how much time it would take me to do something custom swayed me in the Q-Logic direction. For power, I’m running an Alpine PDX-1.1000 on the subs. I modded the box with 2 layers of RAAMat as well as jute to kill any low freq vibration and also kill standing waves. I also had to mod the enclosure slightly to get all of the bolts to fit (that topic has been discussed 100’s of times on this board). The install took probably 20 minutes after I also modded the connector that the wires terminate to. I took the cup out, made a plate out of ¼” ABS and ran the wires through the plate and sealed it just like you would in a regular box

I’m for sure never going to win any SPL competitions but the system does get loud. I’d guess somewhere in the 133-136 range. The thing that is amazing about the system is the accuracy of the bass. I’m using ZERO equalization on the subs with a crossover at 50Hz (for SQ competition). My RTA below 100Hz is as flat as any competition car and after a little time alignment from the PXA-H701, the bass is right on the windshield.

I looked REAL hard at putting 2 10’s or 12’s under the back seat and doing something totally custom back there. My goal is/was a stealth system so ripping the rear seat out was out of the question. The driver’s side has a nasty hump in the floor pan that presents a problem for an easy install. I HAVE seen a Tundra with a 12 built down through the floor on the driver’s side. A large hole was basically cut in the floor and a box was built below the floor and anchored to the frame rails. There was a magazine write up in one of the car audio mags late last year on how the shop did it. If you build all the say across under the back seat, you may also run in to a problem with locating the amps if they won’t fit under the seats. There isn’t a whole lot of room behind the rear seat without some modifications. There is a mod in the member’s section on how to do amps behind the rear seats but it involves pulling the rear cab vents and fabbing something to go in their place.

OK, now that I’ve said all of that, 2 8’s in a Q-Logic will be fine for most people as long as they aren’t trying to annoy their neighbors or impress the girls at (insert your favorite cruise spot name here). If I were to build a Tundra for person who wanted to do that and still maintain the rear seat, I’d build 4 12’s or 2 15’s in a bandpass in the bed and fire it through the rear wall. I’ve done that in a new body style Tacoma and with enough power, middle 50’s on the dash, annoyed neighbors and noise ordinance tickets are plentiful!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I completed the install in my 06 Tundra Access Cab just before the USACi finals last year. (I needed something to listen to on the drive up there to judge!!) After a ton of research, lots of time staring at the back of the truck and many beers, I ended up using the Q-Logic (my first pre-fabbed box) and 2 CDT 8’s. The cost of the Q-Logic vs how much time it would take me to do something custom swayed me in the Q-Logic direction. For power, I’m running an Alpine PDX-1.1000 on the subs. I modded the box with 2 layers of RAAMat as well as jute to kill any low freq vibration and also kill standing waves. I also had to mod the enclosure slightly to get all of the bolts to fit (that topic has been discussed 100’s of times on this board). The install took probably 20 minutes after I also modded the connector that the wires terminate to. I took the cup out, made a plate out of ¼” ABS and ran the wires through the plate and sealed it just like you would in a regular box
What CDT subs are you using? I'm very impressed with my EF-61CFi's and want to try out their subs. Also wheres the best place to purchase them at and how much ? Thanks !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts