Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but i couldn't find anything. Has anyone tried to put an aftermarket sub enclosure in the new 07 Tundra? I am really into music and i have 2 kicker L7's fiberglassed in under my rear seats of my ram quad cab. I would love to be able to fiberglass a box into the new Tundra. Has anyone tried or seen one for the DC or Crewmax? It doesn't have to be a production piece even anything custom would work?..Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in the process of taking out the factory JBL sub under the rear seat and adding a Custom Sealed box 32" wide 7" deep & 15" high it will have two JL W6 10" woofers powered by the 1000 watt JL amp ...

I will leave the section of rear seats out for good , only the small seat behind passenger seat will stay, I never haul more then 3 people, There will be plenty of space for tools and stuff now, I was going to replace all the factory speakers but they sound pretty good, The thing I wanted was some kick a$$ bass.. The bass amp will have a volume control mounted on the dash next to the Tow/haul switch.... More Pics coming next Sunday when I get everything installed..

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Tornado 23: was it easy to remove the back seat? I need to get behind there to install some custom electronics but I plan to put the seat back when I am done. Also, can you see if there are any wires running behind that soft rubbery panel on the rear cab wall? I assume that is sound-deadening material with wires and such behind it otherwise it would have been mounted flush to the wall. If you can post additional and/or larger pictures with tips on installation this would be a big help!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just 4 bolts holding that part of the seat down, real easy to rermove... Only the wire to the subwoofer behind the black material...

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tornado 23 that sounds good for what you are doing and i hope it turns out real well, but i need to keep all my seats because i haul around alot of people. Are you building it out of MDF or making a fiberglass one?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tornado 23 i forgot to ask you but how does the stock sub sound?

·
Registered
46 Posts
MDF The stock sub is decent.....

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else putting in an enclosure?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I get my 07 DC TRD next monday and im planning on putting some kind of subs in it. Would love to put in so W7 8" but i want to keep my back seats. What kind of room is there to work with behind the back seats "if there is any"

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I think the 2007 440 watt system sounds fine as it is. Owning a 2006 w/the 'upgraded' JBL sound system I really wish I had the 2007's sound output. :td:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had to have one made. The stock 6 speaker (non-JBL) was pretty bad. The front mids have a smaller magnet than the tweeter (I'm serious). The stereo is out of my '02 Tundra. It sounds much, much better than it did in the other one due to the acoustics, location of tweeters, and more room for the sub to operate.

How do you post photos and I will post them, it turned out very nice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have already replaced all the door speakers on the base model system with 07 alpine type R's and installed the apline 500 by 4 amp. it sounds great! On the way is 3 alpine type R 10's and a custom box for em that will fit behind the back seat on a DC. the type R's in the doors were put into the factory locations and look completly stock. BTW for anyone replacing their door speakers, the front doors use 6X9's, and the window regulators are so close to the door panels that you have to cut the stock speaker out of its basket and install the after market speaker into it. also we had to trim the honey comb supports on the back of the factory speaker grills on the front door panels only to let the speaker travel fully. FYI for anyone soon to be replacing their speakers.. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Had to have one made. The stock 6 speaker (non-JBL) was pretty bad. The front mids have a smaller magnet than the tweeter (I'm serious). The stereo is out of my '02 Tundra. It sounds much, much better than it did in the other one due to the acoustics, location of tweeters, and more room for the sub to operate.

How do you post photos and I will post them, it turned out very nice.
When you post a reply it will ask you to "manage attachments" under attached files. Choose the location where your photos are and click "upload" and your all set.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I get my 07 DC TRD next monday and im planning on putting some kind of subs in it. Would love to put in so W7 8" but i want to keep my back seats. What kind of room is there to work with behind the back seats "if there is any"
if you remove the storage boxes under the drivers side and center rear seats, you should be able to get that w7 8inch and box under the seat. the amp you can put under the drivers or passengers seat. there is tons of room under them

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK first try at photos (thanks Jumbo Jet)

Here is my sub/amp set up with custom box.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
The sub is pretty thick (10" Memphis) and is resting on the bottom board of the enclosure (it is completely sealed). It sits right up against the bottom of the seat. You do not need the small blocks for it to fit correctly.

However the padding of the rear seat is very thick. It sounds better with the small blocks there to give it some more clearance. You can still feel it, you can hear it but it becomes somewhat muffled due to the thick padding.

You could go with a smaller sub, or not seal the box, but you would lose some sound quality either way.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The sub is pretty thick (10" Memphis) and is resting on the bottom board of the enclosure (it is completely sealed). It sits right up against the bottom of the seat. You do not need the small blocks for it to fit correctly.

However the padding of the rear seat is very thick. It sounds better with the small blocks there to give it some more clearance. You can still feel it, you can hear it but it becomes somewhat muffled due to the thick padding.

You could go with a smaller sub, or not seal the box, but you would lose some sound quality either way.
Looks good man...nice and clean...What size magnet is on that sub and is a dual or single coil? Also what RMS wattage is your sub, how many watts is your amp pushing and do your lights dim at all when it hits real hard?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ademadude,
Couldn't tell you exacts on some of those questions. However I am sure a quick internet search could answer your questions if you are really interested.

Front Mids and tweeters= Focal 165V2*
Sub= Memphis MC104
Amp= Memphis MCA2004 (4 channel)

* Yes that is the 6 1/2" mid and the new Tundra has 6x9 in the door. This is the set up I had in my '02 Tundra originally. It fits however and I added some baffles and Dynamat.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts