Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently had a large and sudden drop in my MPG and have tried everything I could think of to correct it. The car is a 2005 Camry SE, 4-cylinder. I used to get 35 mpg highway with cruise control on and 26 mpg city. (I hardly let the RPMs go higher than 2,000.) It has 68,101 miles on it.

Starting this August, my MPG dropped to 29 highway and 21 city then by September it dropped again to 16 mpg city (no highway driving recently). I adjusted my driving style more to include slow accelerations and coasting to red lights when no one is behind me, so I managed to get 18 mpg city now.

I have tried everything I could think of to fix it:

• Tires at correct pressure
  • Air filters changed at 60,000 ( a while ago)
  • Oil changed at 68,000
  • Scanner shows no error codes
I have put dry gas thinking it could have been water, then tried fuel injector cleaner twice, and have switched gas stations to both Sunoco and Mobil. Still no improvement.

Thank you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Clean your MAF sensor and Seafoam your throttle body.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't know about the MAF sensor. Thanks.

It is my first car and I've been trying to teach myself about it. I have the Haynes repair guide and enough tools to do the basic stuff, but without the error codes showing, I couldn't think of what was the problem. I didn't want to go replacing stuff without figuring what was wrong.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Didn't know about the MAF sensor. Thanks.

It is my first car and I've been trying to teach myself about it. I have the Haynes repair guide and enough tools to do the basic stuff, but without the error codes showing, I couldn't think of what was the problem. I didn't want to go replacing stuff without figuring what was wrong.
Buy a spray can of MAF cleaner. Don't use carb clreaner....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner (both the amber temperature sensor and the thin wires inside the sensor "tube") and seafoamed the throttle body....I don't know if switching to winter tires made a negative difference but the MPG dropped again to 16 mpg.

Other than these, I did nothing else. Still just doing city driving for now. No highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a Camry 2010 XLE 3.5L V6 in 2/20/2013. I been having really bad MPG since first full tank between 12-16 city and 16-20 hwy using Tier 1 Gas *Shell, Exxon, and occasionally Sunoco non tier 1 gas). I have had 2 fuel injection services done at my muffler place and drops from 20 mpg to 13-15 within 1-2 days just like when I fill up on gas it goes real high 20s then drops to a steady 15-16 lately. It was Toyota certified pre-owned but just like most forum post the dealership just does a diagnostics and then dismiss any problems before physically checking anything. Oil and Filter was changed before purchase (air filter was bleach white oil was clean no leaks) and inspection from NJ to PA was done in march. No CEL lights and been using Ultra Gauge II and getting 15-15.8 mpg on that too. Not sure what is causing this and all I talk about and research is MPG on google now.

Car Odometer when purchased - 25,584
Current Odometer reading - 26,777
2 Fuel Injection Cleaning/flush plugged in the front engine area and fuel injection cleaner poured in the gas tank.
Using Tier 1 Shell and Exxon mostly few times Sunoco and 1 time Gulf. Tried 87 REG, 89 PLUS, 91 Super
Don't go above 2000 Rpm hang around 1500. Feather tap when needed and coast and glide on hills on 3 mile commute to work and back city miles do about 10-12 miles a day @30mph.

Carfax Service Record
01/10/2013 25,581
Liberty Toyota Scion
Burlington, NJ
609-589-1164
Pre-delivery inspection completed
Maintenance inspection completed
Brakes checked
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Alignment performed (drives Straight and tires were rotated manually by hand for resistance-passed)
Air filter replaced (bleach white)
Two tires mounted and balanced (all 4 Michelin Energy All season 16 Inch Wheels Both Front Mounted)
Cabin air filter replaced
Rear brake rotor(s) resurfaced
Carpet protection installed
Washed/detailed

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your 2005 Camry SE 4 Cylinder? Please let me know I been researching this problem for 2 months now in search of an answer and no one seems to ever post one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not a mechanic or anything.. but i'd recommend a basic service, spark plugs changed to iridium, air filter to a high flow.. possibly K&N, oil changed to synthetic... and run a couple of tanks of high octane gas..
this is what i did to my wife's honda pilot and its raised the MPG and the peppiness of the engine..

good luck with it...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a Camry 2010 XLE 3.5L V6 in 2/20/2013. I been having really bad MPG since first full tank between 12-16 city and 16-20 hwy using Tier 1 Gas *Shell, Exxon, and occasionally Sunoco non tier 1 gas). I have had 2 fuel injection services done at my muffler place and drops from 20 mpg to 13-15 within 1-2 days just like when I fill up on gas it goes real high 20s then drops to a steady 15-16 lately. It was Toyota certified pre-owned but just like most forum post the dealership just does a diagnostics and then dismiss any problems before physically checking anything. Oil and Filter was changed before purchase (air filter was bleach white oil was clean no leaks) and inspection from NJ to PA was done in march. No CEL lights and been using Ultra Gauge II and getting 15-15.8 mpg on that too. Not sure what is causing this and all I talk about and research is MPG on google now.

Car Odometer when purchased - 25,584
Current Odometer reading - 26,777
2 Fuel Injection Cleaning/flush plugged in the front engine area and fuel injection cleaner poured in the gas tank.
Using Tier 1 Shell and Exxon mostly few times Sunoco and 1 time Gulf. Tried 87 REG, 89 PLUS, 91 Super
Don't go above 2000 Rpm hang around 1500. Feather tap when needed and coast and glide on hills on 3 mile commute to work and back city miles do about 10-12 miles a day @30mph.

Carfax Service Record
01/10/2013 25,581
Liberty Toyota Scion
Burlington, NJ
609-589-1164
Pre-delivery inspection completed
Maintenance inspection completed
Brakes checked
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Alignment performed (drives Straight and tires were rotated manually by hand for resistance-passed)
Air filter replaced (bleach white)
Two tires mounted and balanced (all 4 Michelin Energy All season 16 Inch Wheels Both Front Mounted)
Cabin air filter replaced
Rear brake rotor(s) resurfaced
Carpet protection installed
Washed/detailed

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your 2005 Camry SE 4 Cylinder? Please let me know I been researching this problem for 2 months now in search of an answer and no one seems to ever post one.
Thanks!
a 3 mile commute is a factor in gas mileage. the engine doesn't get warmed up for a long period of time and wont go into closed loop fuel system because not all the emissions systems are at operation temp. you should see a difference in the summer when things warm up quicker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well my ultra gauge is telling me it's at 195-205F for engine temperature. But I hope your right about the summer because this car is sucking gas fast. I just drove like 5 miles and almost lost a whole notch of gas off my fuel tank meter. Temperature gauge got to mid level was driving on 40-45 mph local highway and hit a couple of lights but it dropped from 16 MPG to 13.5 mpg now. Just seems crazy how fast the drop rate is going off the Tank Average Meter on the console. I'll be replacing every component on the car related to gas mileage but since there is no CEL coming on seems like I'm wasting money. Had a diagnostics check at the dealership nothing came up and the 2 check engine lights that came from the 2nd fuel injection cleaning cleared out after ECU reset. Sad to think that I'm the only 2010 Camry via Google complaining about 12-15 mpg with no CEL coming up. Has only 26k miles on it but driving worse on MPG than my 18 year old 95 Camry. Just doesn't seem right they can say this car is 19 EPA city and it average about 13-15 MPG average for city driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts