Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved from so. cal to no. cal and I loaded up my highlander hybrid 2006 2wd to the max and got really bad gas mileage. Has anyone noticed that with their highlander hybrid fully loaded?

Also, since then my mileage hasn't recovered. I'm getting 22mpg instead of the 25mpg I was getting. I have about 18000 miles and the air filter is no longer white and greyish so I'm going to try and replace it to see if it helps. Does anyone happen to know what may be happening? Could it be something with the gas?

Any suggestions welcomed.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I recently moved from so. cal to no. cal and I loaded up my highlander hybrid 2006 2wd to the max and got really bad gas mileage. Has anyone noticed that with their highlander hybrid fully loaded?

Also, since then my mileage hasn't recovered. I'm getting 22mpg instead of the 25mpg I was getting. I have about 18000 miles and the air filter is no longer white and greyish so I'm going to try and replace it to see if it helps. Does anyone happen to know what may be happening? Could it be something with the gas?

Any suggestions welcomed.
I offer this just for comparison. I have an '07 Highlander Hybrid ... recently completed a 2800 mile trip to retrieve son who graduated from college in Boston. The cumulative mileage on the way up (unloaded) was 26.9 mpg ... on the way back it was 26.4 (loaded with all of son's junk) ... speeds were 70-85 mph on the interstates. Ambient air temps were above 95 deg. much of the way and went to 106 for long stretches across Tennessee, so the a/c was on constantly.

Having said that, I'll say this: you probably should be getting better mileage. I don't think gasoline will make any difference ... check all your tires for proper inflation (I run mine at 35# front and rear) and ensure that the air filter is reasonably fresh. If you're now living at a significantly higher elevation, that could adversely affect mileage also ... not much you can do about that.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Sometimes a "tailwind" is your friend and then all of a sudden a "headwind" comes and your MPG suffers, then we think "oh my god" is there something wrong with my HiHy!:cry:

Is it the gas, air filter or Toyotas crappy product?

Come on ....Dude, your splitting hairs for pennies per gallon of gas??????

Just enjoy the drive. there are WAY TOO Many variables that affect MPG.

If yu don't understand standard engine vehicles, how can yu understand Hybrids and it's technological "limitations".

All I see is HYBRID owners watching their MPG every 3/10's of a mile and they are on the edge of their seats concerned about MPG going UP and Down and comparing to yesterdays trip, etc.

All these Hybrid sites are the same...posting 2 hour old MPG readings (like it was some dam contest) along with every comment about their expensive Green Vehicle.:cry:

BTW, I am a big fan of the Prius...Just not the HyHi. The HyHi is a pig on gas for the price yu pay. Toyota should have used the I4( four banger) in it's design for a Hybrid Highlander.

And why did Toyota Require Premium Fuel in the HyHi when in the standard V6 HL Premium is only a Recommendation.
Anyone knows that Premium fuel always ups the MPG as general rule.
Toyota just wanted HyHi owners to achieve the best MPG at any cost (But premium fuel will really eat your wallet)

Let's flame this:devil:...I'm ready for ya:rolleyes:

Oh and BTW I just took a trip around the block in my HL, to get milk, and I logged 20.0956832 MPG. It went down by .07366489 MPG since yersterday morning. Yu think it might be the two gallons of milk that added 10 pounds to my gross vehicle weight thus reducing my MPG? or could it be the gas??

I'm very concerned about this! Please help me:eek:!

LifeTech

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Yes, premium is a moot point...at least to some owners interpretation of the Toyota manual. Ask 20 people including dealers...yu will get a different spin.

And, why does the 05-07 Hybrids only have a 17.2 gallon tank?

I thought All HL's have 19.2 gallon cap.:cry:

LT

·
Registered
11 Posts
This message for one sarcastic bastard. I did not join tundrasolutions to read a bunch of sarcastic remarks when a ligitimate question was posed. So keep you sarcastic remarks to your self. THIS MESSAGE FOR life tech. If you dont like what I say reply. LIFE TECH

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Yu belong on Priuschat. I heard they are looking for a poster boy.

:)

Yu have no sense of humor :):):):).

But that's cool...I got the laugh. Yu fell for it.

LT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Life Tech, If there is a joke involved your it. I see how you back pedal when you get called on your sarcastic manner. No need for a reply I have got better thinks to do than try to correct your imaturity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 07 Highlander Hybrid has about 2600 miles on it. I had been getting around 26.6 mpg both city and highway. One day it dropped to 22. At about 1/4 tank I filled up with Chevron regular and the mileage went up to 27.5 and has been there ever since. Gas can make a big difference. Sometimes you just get bad gas. My 07 calls for regular unleaded.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This message for Life Tech, I have read a good number of you messages,since this I have to say I was WRONG, you are a good guy most all the time. Please forgive my nasty posts. Jobo

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Life Tech, If there is a joke involved your it. I see how you back pedal when you get called on your sarcastic manner. No need for a reply I have got better thinks to do than try to correct your imaturity.
Another posterboy.:cry:

Apparently my presence here bothers yu.

Instead of reacting to me like the "bully' that I am not, try countering my arguments with factual information. It appears that yu and others are back pedaling for sure.:td:

I don't beat around the bush. Follow the thread.

And yes, I am not the author of this thread.

However, until the Moderators/Adms. say otherwise, I will conduct myself accordingly.

In other words no children allowed.:clown:

Obey forum etiquette....

LifeTech

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Gas quality always makes a difference in my opinion.

It is trial and error. Chevron is good gas on the whole by comparison.

I feel the Old Amoco Gold was the best in gas mileage.

BTW 10% ethanol additive during the winter months here in the Nrtheast really takes a hit on MPG. Always has. Some engines do worse than others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts