Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife drives 2003 sequoia LTD V8 4WD with 54,000 miles. Are there service/maintenance items I should address before failure? New battery, new tires, fluid changes are all current.

What I am asking is are there items I should work on now to prevent failure of systems in this vehicle known to often fail?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
At around 90K you will be due for a timing belt, idler pulley tensioner change as part of this interferance engine's design. If left undone you will set yourself up for catastrophic engine failure. While you are there most will change the water pump, thermostat, upper and lower rad hoses, and accessory belts. I would run a new fuel filter on it about every 30-45K miles. The fuel filters are not very large (ie not a lot of media surface area) so you will have to change them around these intervals. Depending upon driving conditions and habits you may be due for new front brake pads. But it all depend upon conditions. May be a fresh air filter.?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Improper fluid levels and aftermarket fluids like antifreeze and transmission fluid cause big problems down the road. Ignoring brake fluid changes and not using Toyota Brake fluid could cause expensive problems way down the road (in terms of years and miles).

Monitoring tailpipe emissions every year or two and keeping them ultra low is key to avoiding the $$dreaded$$ "catalyst efficiency below threshold" check engine light. Proactive moves that keep emissions low include: cleaning the throttle plate every 50,000 miles, changing the pre-cat oxygen sensor(s) every 100,000 miles, changing the spark plugs twice as often as the maintenance guide suggests.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts