Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a Fitch Fuel Catalyst - Home about a year ago and it's been installed on the truck since purchase. I can't say that I have gotten anything amazing from it, but based on averages from before and after I did pick up a little better mileage.

So this peaked my interest because now with the Super charger installed I am supposed to run 91 Octane only which I did back from Vegas after it was installed and up until 3 days ago and I finally got the sack to fill up the tank with 87 octane. The Fitch states you can drop one grade so I should run 89, but I figured I would just try 87 out of the gate to see what happens. I put 22 gallons of 87 in on my fill up. I am now 1/2 way through the tank. Thus far I have not had any knocks or pings and I'm not driving like grandma! I am driving the same as I always do which means I go through fuel quickly.

I'll post up more after I have been through another tank or if I start hearing some pinging and at how much 87 fuel I was able to run through with the fitch before pinging.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
hmm...to save a buck or two per fill up...whatever floats your boat. :) and glad u believe in that little gizmo deal too.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
hmm...to save a buck or two per fill up...whatever floats your boat. :) and glad u believe in that little gizmo deal too.
No kidding.... and then to dump 22 gallons worth....
Would have made since to just put 5 gallons or something much easier to siphon out or add additive, when things start going wrong...

I believe PorkShop is right on the money...

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
remember the knock sensors can pull timing back.
did you feel a loss in performance or mileage since using 87?

Have you driven a SC tundra yet? I don't know how you would tell if you lost performance... It runs like a rapped ape.

Since fill up and now at 1/4 tank left it still sets you back in the seat and screams and spins the tires at will.

I AM, however, looking for it and paying attention (if I can actually identify it) and will post up here.

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you ever so much for your very insightful reply. This is a huge help to this thread!

I purchased the Fitch a long time ago because I prefer to do my own research, rather than just listen to the naysayers on internet forums. It's not whether or not I believe in gizmos to float my boat, it was to find out whether or not it "actually" worked or not. Since I have installed it I haven't seen or had any problems with the fuel system so I haven't bothered to remove it. If it does cause issue it will come off the truck.

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No kidding.... and then to dump 22 gallons worth....
Would have made since to just put 5 gallons or something much easier to siphon out or add additive, when things start going wrong...
Yes, I did in fact have this exact train of thought rather than being a moron with a super charged truck...

First was drain tank and put in 6.5 gals of 87. Ran that, nothing happened. For good measure, I ran a full tank of 91 post the 6.5 gal run. As nothing happened with the 6.5gal run I grabbed a bottle of 104 octane from Oriley's to have on hand just in case. I then filled up the tank with 87 and thus far, I haven't need to add the octane booster.

I didn't think I needed to go into this much detail, but I guess I was wrong...

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Possibly semantics? He may just mean he ran it a month or two before installing the gadget, and a couple months after delivery may still fit the definition of "just purchased".

I am wondering if this device gives more horsepower. :heh: Either way I will keep an open mind. :nod:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes, I did in fact have this exact train of thought rather than being a moron with a super charged truck...

First was drain tank and put in 6.5 gals of 87. Ran that, nothing happened. For good measure, I ran a full tank of 91 post the 6.5 gal run. As nothing happened with the 6.5gal run I grabbed a bottle of 104 octane from Oriley's to have on hand just in case. I then filled up the tank with 87 and thus far, I haven't need to add the octane booster.

I didn't think I needed to go into this much detail, but I guess I was wrong...
Wrong indeed.... they don't include the octane stickers with the SC kit for no reason...
Unless you cannot get 91+ octane in your area(which would have me wonder why you would even consider the SC in the first place), WHY on Earth are you trying to run lower octane fuel through it? You just spent 5k+, on the SC...WHY are you trying to cause wear/possible detonation on your motor?

Unless you care nothing about warranty, or engine life, I just think it's dumb... Or maybe you're just trying to be cheap? I don't get it....

Sorry...don't mean to be a complete dick about it...

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imdone said:
;So I purchased a Fitch Fuel Catalyst - Home about a year ago and it's been installed on the truck since purchase. I can't say that I have gotten anything amazing from it, but based on averages from before and after I did pick up a little better mileage.
Please explain the two bolded statements.

I purchased the fitch about 2-3 months after I purchased the truck and installed it. It has been on the truck since I bought it (the truck and the fitch for that matter). NOT THE SUPER CHARGER. The fitch was installed previous to the super charger being installed.

Based on hand calcs for the 2 months I was testing it and I traveled over 3000 miles because I was driving the truck for work, I found for no other explanation I picked up between .75 and 1 mpg after I installed it. It's not anything to write home about but I did provide better mileage.

The Fitch's claim is that it "refines" the fuel. My simple minded conclusion was that the fuel that sits in the tanks around these here parts must get FUNKY.

The main factor that I liked about the Fitch is that it's a fuel stabilizer and since I will go a week or two at times now that I don't drive it for work, I was trying to avoid having to buy a liquid stabilizer. I know fuel doesn't go bad that quick in a sealed tank, but I'd rather not take the chance on this truck.

The reason for all this is since I have it installed I figured what the hell, why not give it a whirl and see what happens.

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Possibly semantics? He may just mean he ran it a month or two before installing the gadget, and a couple months after delivery may still fit the definition of "just purchased".

I am wondering if this device gives more horsepower. :heh: Either way I will keep an open mind. :nod:

I can see how that got confusing. I meant Fitch on since I purchased the truck. I got the idea from some diesel driving friends that had them and others that were looking into. Found it and spent a couple hundred to see if it was snake oil or not.

If it did, it was so small there was NO WAY to tell the difference without pulling the engine and putting it on a dyno to remove ALL parasitic power loss. Allegedly they have gotten more power, but the engines they were tested on were small size and small hp engines.

I'm gonna say no to the hp increase.

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so blew through the tank of 87. No issues. Stepped it up to 89 to see if there is any "gain" that I can determine.

After the 89, I am going to go back to the 87 then jump to 91 and see if I can tell a difference.

After the 91 I'm going to go for 2 tanks of 87 in a row and see what happens.

Mileage I'm seeing on the highway is a steady 14 mpg w/the charger. This has NOT changed between octane ratings based on the handy dandy Optitron gauges readout. In town, it all depends on how stupid I drive and usually I see about 12.5 - 13 mpg. Since I am only at 1 tank I can only gauge the avg mpg based on one tank of fuel which doesn't go far, but it's as good as it gets for now until I can go to multiple tanks of each octane rating. So that will have to take time.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Jeeze... I know it's an obvious question... But why exactly?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Are you calling me a moron? :afro:
:D

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeeze... I know it's an obvious question... But why exactly?
Why what?

Why am I doing this? Why did I post this thread? Why do I have a Fitch? Why is the sky blue? Help!

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you calling me a moron? :afro:
:D
OH NO! If I was calling YOU a moron, I would have come out and said YOU ARE A MORON!

I didn't do that so you're not a moron........ yet! :becky:

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went through full tank of 89. Filled it back up with 89.
No performance loss noticed as of yet. Mileage is still the same. After this tank I'm going to jump back up to 91.

Taking a trip up north tomorrow, we'll see how the 89 handles the higher altitude.

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Altitude made no difference. Mileage stayed the same for the whole trip up to Flagstaff and back.
I filled it up with 89 on the way back so once this tank is done I will switch to 91 to see what happens. In 2 weeks I will be going back up to Flagstaff for 1 night and 1 day then back. I will try 91 and see if the mileage changes for either direction because I will be driving around up there as well.

So far the Fitch seems to work for 89. 87 makes me a little nervous just because it's not recommended, but I cant say I was able to find fault with it and it appeared to do just fine.

I'll post up again in 2 weeks because I won't be driving the truck much until I travel to Flag again and that's when the octane change will be important.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Still not sure what your intentions are or your main goal....
But I can pretty much promise you that no one else is willing to spend 5-7K on a SC.... and do the things that you are doing.... for what.... still not sure.... I'm nearly 100% positive that it will void your factory/SC warranty...

No offense meant...what-so-ever....

Just don't see the need for it.... and I doubt anyone will follow....
Kinda fondling your own sack on this one.... I hope it doesn't hurt your engine in any way....

·
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still not sure what your intentions are or your main goal....
But I can pretty much promise you that no one else is willing to spend 5-7K on a SC.... and do the things that you are doing.... for what.... still not sure.... I'm nearly 100% positive that it will void your factory/SC warranty...

No offense meant...what-so-ever....

Just don't see the need for it.... and I doubt anyone will follow....
Kinda fondling your own sack on this one.... I hope it doesn't hurt your engine in any way....
At least fondling your own sack is fun! hahaha

I don't expect anyone to follow my lead, that's not what it's all about. Feel free to look at me like the bat-sh!t crazy guy! It's cool, it isn't the first time and I know with certainty that it won't be the last!

Not really concerned about the warranty situation. Appreciate your input.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts