Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics from the install.
Did it by myself.

If anyone is considering doing this install just note that the time assessed by the manual is incorrect at 9hrs. It may be 9hrs on your second but there is some vagueness to the manual and you will find yourself asking what is it talking about and where is the diagram really showing. This install took me 12 HARD hours and consider myself to be faster then most.
I personally do NOT recommend a person attempt this unless they have a fair amount of experience with modern engines-vehicles. Knowing how the interconnects (fuel and electrical) alone will frustrate the pizz out of a person.
I build my own race motors from ground up and consider them to be a 9 on the difficulty scale, doing this supercharger install I would rate a solid 7.

-also....

My install kit was missing the TRD stickers including: 'premium fuel only, belt and hose routing'. It was also missing 1-12mm bolt but had an additional 2-10mm....no biggie....but...ya know.

Secondly, there are a few things the install manual will tell you to do that are full of poop.

1. You do NOT need to drain the fluid out of the block. There is a convenient valve on the bottom of the rad.. Draining this will back drain the fluid from the coolant crossover pipe and lines. Dont waist your time draining the block, I didnt and did not spill a f-ing drop of coolant.

2. You do NOT need to remove the front bumper cover, radiator support and brackets.
The LTA intercooler core slips easily behind the bracket without removal (sure you need to be careful not to nick the rad core) but with 2 nut removal on the bracket allows it to give clearance for install NO PROB!!!! The second thing is the intercooler pump mount....tons of clearance....I cant for the life of me understand why the manual says you should remove the entire front bumper assembly. DONT WAIST YOUR TIME, changing the spark plugs was more difficult then installing the intercooler core and pump.

3. You do not need to remove the forward radiator wings to trim for hose clearance.
Again....dont know why they suggest it.

Before the install starts I removed the POS carbon filter.

Motor as it starts.

...no honey, why do you think I was washing parts in the kitchen sink again?
(*the less she knows, and you can bet it was gone before she got home!)

New TRD air filter. The 'old' one went in our newest tundra.

Completed airbox assembly. Considering cutting out the bottom.

Missing IM. Note the new injectors. I opted to install the injectors and fuel rail before the supercharger. It was easier to install the injectors without the charger in the way but the lip of the fuel rail didnt give clearance for the larger supercharger frame to drop in.
A simple fix was to loosen the 2 bolts to the fuel rail (one side only) and pull the rail and injectors a few (10mm?) to the side. The charger will go right in.

Charger on motor, crossover also installed.

Airbox, bass acward throttle body and belt. Installing the belt....removing the fan....both real mo-fukers. Shouldnt of been so difficult....just proves that sometimes easy stuff can be a real pain.

Pic of the intercooler LTR installed. Note the bracket with a bend. I was so worked up over trying to NOT remove the front bumper I tweaked the bar slightly. I didnt need too and had tons of clearance. The bar was easy to straighten out and now looks perfect....but it is not nessissary to remove or bend. Just remove the top and bottom bolt and shift lightly to the right.

New VS. old. Pulling the tank & removing the pump....this is a low point in the install. Feel like you are almost to the top of a mountain and get bit by a rattlesnake near the top. No fun here.

Here is the finished install.
Took it to the gas station to fill it up drove it real easy. I have an appointment Tuesday at the dealer to reflash the ECU. No codes, no probs, starts up and runs great.
The whine is great....and I can tell it wants to go fast!
Ordered a new boost gauge (0-15psi).
-ALSO-
Will be upgrading many of the hoses and clamps on the motor. I am NOT crazy about the spring tension clamps OEM.

Good times.....

~JH

·
Registered
819 Posts
Glad you got it installed without any real problems. I am jealous!

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Thanks for the info.

BTW, Here are the infamous AIR VALVES that mess up with the AIP. (two valves towards the back )

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
How much how much how much how much how much

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Wow good job man! I don't know if I would have driven it without the flash but you know way more about these things than me. Points sent and I'll be looking forward to the updates.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yeah,the gas tank is the hardest part of it all.
there's no need to bend the front brace,just remove the plastic clips on top of plastic bumper cover,lift said cover just enough to slip a wrench underneath it and remove lower brace bolts.
installing the injectors before or after the blower makes no difference in time but does make it harder to tighten the blower bolts a bit.
oh and adding a bit of white truffle oil to the filter is worth about 12 to 15hp i've been told.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
CONGRATS! You must be quite the MECHANIC! Can't wait to hear your excitement; keep us updated........

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Great Job JH!!!!!!!!!!! Man, those are really some great pics!!!!!!!!

Maybe, if you ever get the time and just for the heck of it, you could post a DIY thread on how to clean and/or replace the AIP's on these trucks?

Just a thought? Fantastic though on the SC. Points sent to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Nice job!! I wish I had the knowhow to do that!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bad A$$!

Points sent!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very good job! I wish I were mechanically inclined to even consider doing that.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Nice Work Johnny! You've successfully made me excited, angry, and sad all at the same time! :confused: I wish I had one!

Pts Sent.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Is that the Supercharger that you SNIPED me on EBAY when I posted the link?

(kidding) looks great brother. which I had 5k laying around I put one in myself I mean dealer install it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the comments and points!

I really wanted to show throughout the project that something like the SC could be done on the cheap (relatively). It is true I saved a bunch of money BUT ran into a few unique problems and if anyone is considering going the route I did there is the very possible likelihood you will run into issues as well. I personally almost look forward to having problems....this is a personal defect in my personality and I am working on it. Total cost for the project: $1448 for SC+$200 to fix (*see below), $2200 for the fit kit for a total of $3550. I am also installing an Autometer CF series boost gauge. This gauge would cost the normal person $50-60, I get my AM gauges free or at cost. I will not disclose what I got the gauge for but even at $50 bucks its not too bad. (*a person can get a gauge cheaper, different brand, cheaper series or mechanical).

oh and adding a bit of white truffle oil to the filter is worth about 12 to 15hp i've been told
You have a keen eye my friend. I too hear adding white truffle oil will add the HP....but the dollar per hp is too much for me!

Maybe, if you ever get the time and just for the heck of it, you could post a DIY thread on how to clean and/or replace the AIP's on these trucks?

I truly hope to never have to mess with any of the AIP stuff. From all the stuff I have read about it, it seems like a bad deal all around. As the owner of 4 tundras the thought of AIP issues scares the poop out of me. ;)

Is that the Supercharger that you SNIPED me on EBAY when I posted the link?
The one in the same!

Truth is JTG, the unit had some shipping damage. I dont know if the damage was present when they had it or was from the shipping from their faclity to me. There was a small ding on the side of the flange where it mates to the block and would of prevented the install of the rubber gasket. I sent pics to the company I got it from and they offered to refund 100% or refund the amount to fix it. Lets just say that I could of fixed it with a screwdriver and opened up the gasket valley slightly....but being as how it was being paid for I opted to let a machine shop locally I do a ton of work with take care of it.

I paid 1800 for the charger; they refunded 400$. It didnt cost me 400$ to fix BUT did take a few trips to the machine shop and delayed the project.

The company that sold it was great and I would buy from them in a second. After the fix the ding was not able to be found, the fix was perfect (*I knew it would be, the shop does fantastic work).

I can not however say that everyone out there would of had the knowledge to handle dealing with a situation like this. Could of been a real pain for someone. Again the company offered to refund 100% INCLUDING SHIPPING. Ebay can be great but goes to show a guy might get a raw deal (like if the company said I did the damage)

Very cool. I sent you a PM about the airbox. I wouldn't perforate the bottom just yet.
Dually noted, and truth is I mentioned it not because I am looking for more HP....I like a loud SC whine, but wont hurt HP for noise!

~JH

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Total cost for the project: $1448 for SC+$200 to fix (*see below), $2200 for the fit kit for a total of $3550. ~JH
You basterd.................................................................................................................................................................................................
Points sent

1 - 20 of 46 Posts