Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My supercharger is leaking all the way around the intercooler cover.It looks like wd-40 sprayed around the edge and little running down each side.I thought there was no oil inside of this cover:confused:I am almost sure it is oil.Somebody have any clue what it is?
Do you have a picture of where it's leaking? What do you mean by intercooler cover - the top? If so, it's a air/water intercooler, so you will have coolant in there.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Did Dealership install it? Warranty? Good luck; this sucks.........

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I put some coolant near the same area it look the same at first then turned whitish.So it must be oil from inside it somewhere.It's not bad just damp all the way around the top.
How long has the charger been installed?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Have you checked your oil? That can tell you a lot by reading the oil on the dipstick..white milk like would be bad...

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is an easy one. Time to bring it to the dealer. The sooner the better...

I would check coolant and oil to make sure they are not mixing either way... Check you plugs too...

Please let us know what the dealer says...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the SC's oiling system is self contained, and shouldn't effect engine oil at all.... at least, I cannot see where they tapped into the engine oil system on mine....

I would definitely check your intercooler coolant level and be nice to it on your way to the dealer....

I would think that this would fall under TRD warranty, and not so much your dealer....
I'm curious as to what they find, and what they change... the entire SC or just the intercooler....

Does you pump sound normal? Does the fluid ooze out with the ignition on/pump running? Or can you hear any air/gurgling coming from it when the pump is running?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the SC's oiling system is self contained, and shouldn't effect engine oil at all.... at least, I cannot see where they tapped into the engine oil system on mine....
I also don't think that the intercooler coolant can get into the "charge" in any way.... could be wrong here as well...

I would definitely check your intercooler coolant level and be nice to it on your way to the dealer....

I would think that this would fall under TRD warranty, and not so much your dealer....
I'm curious as to what they find, and what they change... the entire SC or just the intercooler....

Does you pump sound normal? Does the fluid ooze out with the ignition on/pump running? Or can you hear any air/gurgling coming from it when the pump is running?
This is correct. The supercharger's oil is self-contained and does not mix with the 5.7L's oil.

Also, while it is going to be an issue with the TRD charger, it is covered under the truck's powertrain warranty so taking it to the dealer is the right choice.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
My first guess is that it may be a little grease melting and flowing off. TRD uses a light white/pink grease on the large sealing o-ring for the cover. The flange on the outside of the o-ring line is wide, and holds plenty of the grease. So you may have no leak at all. There is also allot of this grease visable on the large inner seal for the intercooler in this picture....

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My first guess is that it may be a little grease melting and flowing off. TRD uses a light white/pink grease on the large sealing o-ring for the cover. The flange on the outside of the o-ring line is wide, and holds plenty of the grease. So you may have no leak at all. There is also allot of this grease visable on the large inner seal for the intercooler in this picture....
That sounds very reasonable, but why would it not show up for 26K miles?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Wow that makes since, it is about the same all the way around the cover!Could have been there all along and slowly got more seepage as time went on.Thanks for everyone help i love this place!!!!

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
That sounds very reasonable, but why would it not show up for 26K miles?
Good question, Rone. I'll speculate that maybe the grease just reached a point where it started to break down a bit. Since the OP mentions the staining is all the way around the cover, it's another pointer at the grease, since leakage around the entire perimeter would be quite a task for 6 psi to accomplish.

Glad to help, Beboff... hopefully the diagnosis is correct.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
get the dealer to look at it anyway to make sure...at least that way its documented in case u really do have an issue later....better safe than sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts