Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a problem and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

i have an 08 5.7L tundra with an s/c. i drive pretty good considering what potential it has under the hood. but i do get on it once in awhile. twice now i have hit the rev limiter and it has caused the computer to throw a code and make all warning lights start flashinghe
the first time it somehow fried the ECU. now it has done it again (2 months later). i am taking it into the shop today to see what the deal is. ill let you know what they say.

i guess my question is has anyone had this problem after hitting the rev limiter? when it happens the engine will bog down and act sluggish intill you turn off the engine and then restart it. all the lights stay on and flash though (4x4, vsc, engine symbol, etc). it still drives normal right now, but after i did it the first time the engine would stall out if i went over 10mph.

nate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, i was half asleep when i was typig this. i meant to say the governor.

i just got back from th dealer and they said he code was from the catalytic converter getting too hot. i am about to hit for a 500+ mile road trip. ill let you know if any other problems arise.

im still a little concerned that it trips a code if i hit the governor. is there anyone else out there that has had this problem..andi so, is there a way t keep from tripping codes all the time?

thx
nate

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
maybe your catalytic converter has failed?? if its plugged up just enough, that you can still drive around sensible, but with the engine loaded up it cant get enough flow out. it would cause it to overheat. its just a thought, not sure if the dealer has checked it for you or not??

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
sorry, i was half asleep when i was typig this. i meant to say the governor.

i just got back from th dealer and they said he code was from the catalytic converter getting too hot. i am about to hit for a 500+ mile road trip. ill let you know if any other problems arise.

im still a little concerned that it trips a code if i hit the governor. is there anyone else out there that has had this problem..andi so, is there a way t keep from tripping codes all the time?

thx
nate
How about not going to the governor!! That's a little extreme for a 6500 pound truck.
maybe your catalytic converter has failed?? if its plugged up just enough, that you can still drive around sensible, but with the engine loaded up it cant get enough flow out. it would cause it to overheat. its just a thought, not sure if the dealer has checked it for you or not??
Sound very reasonable.

·
Registered
238 Posts
115 mph any gear, '07 DC

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
another possibility, i was thinking. is that when you hit the governor, and it cuts fuel. the boost might be still continuing to climb just enough, that it senses too much knock, and throws it to limp mode.

this how some other cars operate. not sure on the specifics of the tundra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the input. as for going that fast, its not like i do it that often, but for that price....id like the ability to if i want too. plus, my wife is the one who wants it to go faster and has even argued with the dealer to get them to remove the governor (to no avail).

it made the 500 mile trip with no issues. i plan on driving around like a madman this weekend though...and we will see it if holds up.

nate

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Hope your tires are up to the task :eek:

When you go into fuel cut hitting the limiter, the throttle will close and the blower will bypass the boost. No unburned fuel should be going into the converters at this point, so there shouldn't be an issue there. If you do drive the truck really hard for a while, the converters will start overheating a bit, but not to the point of meltdown.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the speed limit with the s/c and correct toyota download in the ecu is about 139mph.
you mean to tell us you occasionally drive yours that fast?
are you sure about this?? i cant see there being anyway toyota would do this liability wise. the stock tires are not rated for that kind of speed, so they would not raise the speed limiter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you sure about this?? i cant see there being anyway toyota would do this liability wise. the stock tires are not rated for that kind of speed, so they would not raise the speed limiter.
from all the stuff ive read the governor is set between 107 and 115 depending on the year Tundra.

and that is where my governor is at (115 mph or at least in that area)

nate

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gutz, Rut and Porkshop did you guys get the updated ECM tune from Toyota for the SC? I had mine on the dyno after the updated factory tune and the governer kicked in at around 115 MPH. Unless you guys had an aftermarket tune I doubt Toyota would allow speeds past 115 MPH.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I thought mine was exceeding 115 as well.... But I then realized that my speedo starts lieing at about 80(compared to GPS).... I have the TRD 22" wrapped in Toyo Proxy's....

At 80, the speedo is 2-3 MPH faster than GPS... So I would assume it could be off by 5mph at the speedo's 120... as that's about as fast as I've gotten her up to with either tune...
Can't really say if it does indeed go faster than 115 or not....

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I thought mine was exceeding 115 as well.... But I then realized that my speedo starts lieing at about 80(compared to GPS).... I have the TRD 22" wrapped in Toyo Proxy's....

At 80, the speedo is 2-3 MPH faster than GPS... So I would assume it could be off by 5mph at the speedo's 120... as that's about as fast as I've gotten her up to with either tune...
Can't really say if it does indeed go faster than 115 or not....
Governors are set by what the car 'reads', not GPS.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Governors are set by what the car 'reads', not GPS.
I understand that.... But I'm guessing, that the 22" wheels throw off my speedo...Although I would think that it would be opposite...But IE...Even though my speedo reads 120, the ECU may only be seeing 112... Like I said, my speedo starts lieing right close to 80...In which it reads 2-3 MPH faster than my GPS is saying...It's inaccuracy will grow the faster you go.... I actually believe it's pretty common for most vehicles...

Like in a vid I posted on youtube, you can clearly see the speedo hit 120.... Was I doing 120.... Probably not...
Old Tune..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWG2FTZDul8

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I understand that.... But I'm guessing, that the 22" wheels throw off my speedo...Although I would think that it would be opposite...But IE...Even though my speedo reads 120, the ECU may only be seeing 112... Like I said, my speedo starts lieing right close to 80...In which it reads 2-3 MPH faster than my GPS is saying...It's inaccuracy will grow the faster you go.... I actually believe it's pretty common for most vehicles...

Like in a vid I posted on youtube, you can clearly see the speedo hit 120.... Was I doing 120.... Probably not...
Old Tune..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWG2FTZDul8
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what speed you are really going, it matters what speed the vehicle thinks you're doing, ie what the speedometer reads. I could put 80" tires on my truck and have the governor kick in at 50mph according to GPS, because the truck thinks (and the speedometer reads) 115mph - or whatever the governor is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what speed you are really going, it matters what speed the vehicle thinks you're doing, ie what the speedometer reads. I could put 80" tires on my truck and have the governor kick in at 50mph according to GPS, because the truck thinks (and the speedometer reads) 115mph - or whatever the governor is.
I think that IS the point he is trying to make. His GPS reads 80 MPH when his truck speedo is reading about 78. So his speedo is off by about 2 MPH. If, at 115 (actual from GPS) the speedo is reading 120 that could be why he is seeing 120+ speeds, when his ecu/governor is still thinking 115.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts