Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats needed to (electronically) have an 03-04 non-vvti SC work on a 2000 4.7?

I'm wanting to buy the one in the classifieds on here.. but just need to know what I'm looking at to make it work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
1,768 Posts
Getting a 00-02 TRD piggyback is what will work for a direct swap and hopefully trouble free operation.
You could try posting a SWAP of TRD piggybacks in the Classifieds Section.
Your 03' - 04' unit for a 00' - 02' unit.
Then post many good keywords, tags, related to the TRD supercharger, piggyback, unichip and so forth so it pops up when people google looking for something similar.

Also ... getting a Unichip you can go for.
Then hoping their tune they give you won't blow up your motor, having detonation, and 13.8-14.7:1 AFR lean outs at WOT like what I got from them.

Even got it Dyno tuned by the main Unichip headquarters' Aaron McEvoy and it still sucked. Detonated. Tried 3 other tuners before I gave up.
I Kept blowing up the stock Toyota OEM Catalytic converters from high EGT's from these shotty tunes. No tuner could find the right tune. Even tried the MAP-ECU2 without success.

I HIGHLY suggest getting Stan's headers (4-2-1 design), or some long tube headers, HJS Metallic Substrate catalytic converters, and a complete 2.5" exhaust system to lower the Exhaust Gas Temperatures. The Stan's headers I think are optimal. They offer a design of 4: 1 5/8" primaries off the header flange Y-piping into a 4-2 design of 2" piping, an Y-Piping again into a 2.5" collector design. Since going with a 2.5" exhaust system is the right choice you would then get the 2.5" ball-socket adapter instead of the one that would slip into the stock 1 7/8" piping right before the stock cats.

For Tuning!!!!. Your BEST bet is to WAIT and get the UCON EMS from URD when Gadget makes a Universal unit.
This way it will self tune the trucks' Air/fuel ratios, have in many safe guards for detonation to prevent it.
You have other things you can be doing before slapping on the supercharger.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Thread moved to Forced Induction forum.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting a 00-02 TRD piggyback is what will work for a direct swap and hopefully trouble free operation.
You could try posting a SWAP of TRD piggybacks in the Classifieds Section.
Your 03' - 04' unit for a 00' - 02' unit.
Then post many good keywords, tags, related to the TRD supercharger, piggyback, unichip and so forth so it pops up when people google looking for something similar.

Also ... getting a Unichip you can go for.
Then hoping their tune they give you won't blow up your motor, having detonation, and 13.8-14.7:1 AFR lean outs at WOT like what I got from them.

Even got it Dyno tuned by the main Unichip headquarters' Aaron McEvoy and it still sucked. Detonated. Tried 3 other tuners before I gave up.
I Kept blowing up the stock Toyota OEM Catalytic converters from high EGT's from these shotty tunes. No tuner could find the right tune. Even tried the MAP-ECU2 without success.

I HIGHLY suggest getting Stan's headers (4-2-1 design), or some long tube headers, HJS Metallic Substrate catalytic converters, and a complete 2.5" exhaust system to lower the Exhaust Gas Temperatures. The Stan's headers I think are optimal. They offer a design of 4: 1 5/8" primaries off the header flange Y-piping into a 4-2 design of 2" piping, an Y-Piping again into a 2.5" collector design. Since going with a 2.5" exhaust system is the right choice you would then get the 2.5" ball-socket adapter instead of the one that would slip into the stock 1 7/8" piping right before the stock cats.

For Tuning!!!!. Your BEST bet is to WAIT and get the UCON EMS from URD when Gadget makes a Universal unit.
This way it will self tune the trucks' Air/fuel ratios, have in many safe guards for detonation to prevent it.
You have other things you can be doing before slapping on the supercharger.
THIS is what I was looking for.

I'm thinking I'll get the SC, cuz its' such a good deal, and have it sit till i can gather the funds for everything else.
Rear Wheel bearings on both sides are gone, plus I need to change my timing belt.

I'm moving from So-Cal to Dallas Texas next May, I'm hoping to have the truck done by then, so towing all of my crud (68 Chevelle too) Wont be a hassle :eek:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UCON EMS from URD

Is that in a prototype stage right meow? Or just talk of it?
And I've also got a Volant intake as well.. hows that work with the SC? Its not open like a K&N.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
** I'm reading up on the Newbie guide..

But still am very curious about the UCON EMS from URD.

·
1,768 Posts
UCON EMS from URD

Is that in a prototype stage right meow? Or just talk of it?
And I've also got a Volant intake as well.. hows that work with the SC? Its not open like a K&N.
The software/hardware aspect of it is pretty much done.
Its the harness connections that are all different that takes awhile.
Gadget is getting harness connections for the most ideal/newer trucks and that is priority number one in a business sense.

He understands people want to tune other vehicles , and making a universal one is the direction to go.
It will work just as good.
Call or Email URD-USA to find out a date/time for release of a Universal UCON EMS.

If you need more info on it. Google Site:xr-underground.com UCON for some threads. Lots of topics, discussion on what it does, and what it is.
Call Gadget too.

As for the Intake. It will increase boost such as mine did. And you'll have More power
Search my older/previous posts for info on how it works.
Seriously though, get long tube headers and a 2.5" exhaust system made.
The timing belt/wheel bearings is just maintenance

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have a 00-02 and a 03-04 piggyback if anyone needs it. I can verify for sure that they are not interchangeable (the harnesses) but the superchargers are. Only problem, if you run the piggybacks, the earlier models will be looking for only 1 additional injector, and the later models with be looking for 2.

I'm actually going to tune with external persuasion:) haha, like water/meth, propane, and a unit from split second called the enricher.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Ucon EMS is going to be available soon... I found a post on XR underground from 2011 stating the same thing.
From what I understand stock ECU Header or harness connectors are the issue. I think the answer is not even URD knows when they will be available. As to what it does, that remains unclear. I have never seen a specific list of features other than it's awesome, and self tunes the fuel, and has a lot of safeguards. I'd really lie to know if it offers end-user tune-ability, although based on what I have seen I suspect not. It should be a fantastic solution for all us TRD supercharger guys. In the mean time I'm using a MAP-ECU2, but I have hit it's limitations (MAF scaling for larger injectors). My next step depending on URD's timing is to either go Ucon, or a standalone Engine management system installed as a piggyback.

HAHA! just saw how old this thread is. Way to go Keith, bumping an old thread! ;-)

·
1,768 Posts
There was a supercharger kit that ..WAS suppose to be available back in March of 2012 too.
Gadget at URD-USA is a huge liar. It's mostly Toyota's fault too. They made it so people couldn't get the ECU connectors when a class action lawsuit started, suing Toyota for unintended accelerations/deaths and they definitely didn't want people messing with the ECU at that time.
Underdog Racing Development

Scott:
  • You're better off just making your own system if he says soon ever again being you call or email him.
  • As you know.. Gadget is always saying "available soon" ,or ....still in development.
  • I'm going to be working with a local company/German company that supplies software cracking the stock ECU's of many makes/models of vehicles.
  • Once the truck is on the road again I'll be dropping it off with him for a couple months.
  • Just finished bleeding the brakes tonight on the Tundra Racing: 340mm Big Brake kit.
  • The coilovers and tires go on tomorrow then I'll be calling and setting up an appointment/deadline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts