Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I donwloaded the trd part catalog and didnt see a supercharger for a 2006 4runner. I know that people are running them, are they using the ones for the tundra 4.7 v8? I didnt even see a supercharger for the tundra v8. Whats up with that? I also heard or read that toyota does not install trd superchargers on the vvti v8 because of weak connecting rods, and will not warrenty the engine if there is damage caused by the supercharger. Is this true or a rumor?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
That's correct, TRD no longer offers a supercharger for the 4.7. I've also heard that this is primarily becuase of connecting rod failure's.

Karl

·
Registered
10 Posts
is it fine if i leave the stock 6psi pulley and dont increase the boost, watch the overboost and solenoid/bypass?

I would think 6psi alone and leaving it should be fine?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The 4.7's arent a good motor to force induction. Weak rods and pushing hot compressed supercharged air is a recipe for a new motor. I did it on the 3.4 v6, but that motor is built like a tank - it can take it - the 4.7 wont although im sure many currently blown trucks will tell you otherwise.

is it fine if i leave the stock 6psi pulley and dont increase the boost, watch the overboost and solenoid/bypass?

I would think 6psi alone and leaving it should be fine?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 4.7's arent a good motor to force induction. Weak rods and pushing hot compressed supercharged air is a recipe for a new motor. I did it on the 3.4 v6, but that motor is built like a tank - it can take it - the 4.7 wont although im sure many currently blown trucks will tell you otherwise.

What's your take on the new 4.0L V6? There is a new supercharger coming out for that motor in the next month or so. I am thinking about it, but don't want to damage the engine, or get into a revolving replacement part hell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if the connecting rod were to be replaced to a higher quailty so they could take the boost would the superchater work? Or is the charger still not a good idea? What else could be added on that would give the same or close amount of horse power. what about sts rear mounted turbo or would you still run into the same problems as the supercharger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suggest not getting "boosting" advice from a naturally aspirated forum. I've been building turbo cars for 15 years and there's a slew of mis-information in this thread alone. I'm about to boost a 4.7 in my 4Runner.

weak engine parts won't cause engine failure, they'll only give you less room for error if tuning is bad. TRD supplied a computer with excessively aggressive timing and fuel curves for the 4.7L variants. If you get a tunable computer however, and use something to keep intake charge temps down, like a water/meth injection system, you can safely boost this engine all day long.

pm me if interested.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So is there any hope for supercharging the 4.7? :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really do think so. I wish I could speak from experience with this engine directly but I can speak from experience with boosting other engines for the entire time I've been driving.

I just scored a TRD SC for my 4runner for $700. The eaton m90 can be found pretty easily if you know which models the 4.7 came in. You don't want to use the TRD computer anyway so it doesn't matter one bit which kit you acquire.

You'll need the URD computer that's on sale right now for $500 and if you can get a 4runner pully and belt (like I did) with the kit you find then you should be ready. Oh and the injectors should be in the thing.

I had magnuson products inspect the supercharger I found just to be safe.

My plan to keep it safe is to run a water/meth injection system to cool intake temps since you can't intercool a roots type supercharger. you have two things working against you when supercharging the 4.7. It's obviously not built for it, in that the static compression is quite high. The other thing is that it's virtually impossible to intercool a roots type blower.

To solve the latter you can buy a system from snowperformance that will spray a 50/50 mix of water and methanol into the intake charge to cool it down. The meth even acts as a higher octane fuel. Some say as high as 120octane and it's cheap. Most good windshield washer fluid will work fine.

To fix the other one, the high static compression, you need to retard timing. This can only be accomplished with a tunable computer, like the one available at URD. It's a simple 8 wire install and is sold as an upgrade to the tundra TRD supercharger computer for the 4.7.

You should monitor Exhaust gas temperature, air/fuel ratio (wide band) and fuel pressure.

If you wanted to open the motor, reduce the static compression to about 8.5 or 9:1, beef up the rods and run 12 or 14psi you could easily produce 450+hp from this engine all day.

I'll be back in a few months when I can back it all up with before and after dyno sheets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
will a TRD SC from a 04 work on an 06?

·
Registered
10 Posts
why not? Different intake manifold bolt patterns and intake plenum design? And the TRD ECU wiring harness is different?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
The TRD plug in computer is not likely to plug in or even work correctly. That is OK, URD can fix you up with our own unit that will work correctly.

The problem with the 2005+ trucks is it just will not bolt to the engine. In 2005 Toyota stopped using 3 way cats on that truck and switched to a 2 way cat. The 2 way requires an airpump to pump air into the exhaust. Toyota mounted this air pump in the V of the engine where you want to mount the supercharger, so I will not work.

I have been told that TRD explored making an adapter to raise the supercharger up enough to clear the air pump, but never produced it.

URD was offered access to a supply of new 4.7 TRD Superchargers with the condition they not be sold in the US. They all had to leave the country. A bunch got sold to some former Soviet countries and Mexico. I will bet you see a few of those showing up on eBay.

Gadget

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yall would be surprised. I have an 02 Tundra 4.7 V8 factory supercharged. And I've had it over a year using it daily. This truck when idle is like a ninja you can't hear a thing, and then at max rev and speed when hauling ass it sounds like a monster hot rod!! And ive been thru hell and back several times with it all over the state. Man this thing is reliable as hell. You can't kill it even if you tried. In fact this beast is running 100% than it did when I first got it. Not a single engine problem... Well one time this fool at work handed me a red gas can promising that it was gasoline. But it had some diesel in it and I didn't realize it until it was empty and saw some drops on the ground. The truck was running the whole time. It died shortly after. But a mechanic came next day and helped me take the tank off and reverse clean the lines of diesel. Now it runs perfectly. Sorry for all the reading lmao
IMG_20210110_114608606.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts