Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to all. I am thinking about a supercharger for my 4Runner but have heard TRD makes one but it is discontinued.It is possible right,and pass calif smog. A little help here or the 270hp is going to have to do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
TRD did make a supercharger for the 4.7L but you are correct, it has been discontinued. You can still find some for sale every now and then but they only fit up to 02 or 03 models. They are planning to release a SC for the new 5.7L but I don't know of any plans for one that will fit the 4.7L engine.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I have one on my 03 Tundra 4.7 but they were discontinued. I have not been able to find out why???????????????? Mine has been trouble free and lots of fun

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Where did you get the info about the rods breaking? I have not heard that one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Either T4R.org or yotatech, can't remember which one. I heard they built the old 3.4L like a brick sh%^house, so they thought the the 4.7 could take it to, but apparently they thinned them out quite a bit. People were also over-boosting them. Info is definitely out there on the subject.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes its true about the rods exploding actually. The 4.7 does really poor under forced induction, unlike the 3.4 which is built like a tank. In the 4.7 they used metal for the rods which is basically ground up chunks/ metal powder compressed together, unlike "forged" steel which is cut from blocks of solid steel, or whatever they use. The rods just cant take abuse in the 4.7 like people think - and i love all the people who say 'well mine has run great so far' - people just dont understand what boosting does to a motor that isn't built well for boost. they will all break eventually, just depends on how hard your pushing it.

If you want to boost it, dont go over 4-5 lbs, and dont do a stupidcharger - the last thing you want is hotter compressed air going into an already weak motor. Go intercooled turbo, you get nice, cool compressed air into that motor and the parasitic drag of a stupidcharger takes more power from the motor than its worth unlike a turbo which even when not boosting gives you more power - and properly sized and tuned you will have no turbo lag like most think.

Check out sts turbo systems - they might still have one for the tundra.

Where did you get the info about the rods breaking? I have not heard that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts