Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm currious, i understand that toyota has a device that can calibrate your speed-o & shift points if their off. my question is;
1) will this work if you have a lift & bigger tires?
2) will this calibrate a truspeed as well or do you still have to dial in the truspeed?
i haven't installed the truspeed yet. if the device toyota has will correct my speed-o and shift points, i won't install the truspeed. if not, i'll have to. my speed-o is off by like 3MPH and around town i don't see much of a problem with my shift points on the tranny. when i hit the highway though is when i see the probs with the shift points. i'm only running a 3" lift and 285/75/16 pro-comps. i didn't think i'd have a prob with this little of a lift and tire size.

any help or pointers would be great. :ts:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
i'm currious, i understand that toyota has a device that can calibrate your speed-o & shift points if their off. my question is;
1) will this work if you have a lift & bigger tires?
2) will this calibrate a truspeed as well or do you still have to dial in the truspeed?
i haven't installed the truspeed yet. if the device toyota has will correct my speed-o and shift points, i won't install the truspeed. if not, i'll have to. my speed-o is off by like 3MPH and around town i don't see much of a problem with my shift points on the tranny. when i hit the highway though is when i see the probs with the shift points. i'm only running a 3" lift and 285/75/16 pro-comps. i didn't think i'd have a prob with this little of a lift and tire size.

any help or pointers would be great. :ts:
where did you hear that toyota can change the computer to adjust for a bigger tire size???

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where did you hear that toyota can change the computer to adjust for a bigger tire size???
a mech at toyota said they could recalibrate my speedo and shift points. i didn't know if he knew i had a lift. i'm guessing that he thinks i'm stock. that was what i was asking, " if toyota could do this with larger tires & lift"? i don't know that they can. i'll find out wed. i reckon. i figured someone here may know though.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
a mech at toyota said they could recalibrate my speedo and shift points. i didn't know if he knew i had a lift. i'm guessing that he thinks i'm stock. that was what i was asking, " if toyota could do this with larger tires & lift"? i don't know that they can. i'll find out wed. i reckon. i figured someone here may know though.
well bump for ya as i would like to know too!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've got the Superlift Truspeed installed on my truck and it works awesome. Recalibrates the signal send to the speed sensor I believe to correct your speedometer and odometer. What I do know is it works :tu: . Recalibrated after larger tires and then again after my regear :D . In addition, allows for 2 different settings if u want to run 2 different size meats.

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
I have difficulty believing this, Mustang would have done this and instead of putting on a Tru-speed then. I would have also had him do mine.

Not sure what this tech is talking about. If you can get some validation though, post it up!!! I'd be interested in seeing what it is.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have difficulty believing this, Mustang would have done this and instead of putting on a Tru-speed then. I would have also had him do mine.

Not sure what this tech is talking about. If you can get some validation though, post it up!!! I'd be interested in seeing what it is.

well i went to install my truspeed and would you believe it's defective!! i couldn't believe it! my mech says it's RARE to get a defective unit. i called superlift and they're going to send me a new one. at least they stand by their product. now as for the toyota device that calibrates your speedo, it only works on oem spec cars/trucks. it's some kind of computer thing (looks like a snap-on modius 7200, i think!) that basically sets everything back to factory settings, reads codes, etc... make sense? mustang probably knows what i'm talking about. anyhow, this does me no good because i am running bigger tires and this device doesn't adjust for that. my mech. explained it to me and this is what i got out of it. so you guys were right. the only way to adjust for bigger tires is with a truspeed. so now i'll just have to wait a couple of days/weeks to get my new one.:tu:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
well i went to install my truspeed and would you believe it's defective!! i couldn't believe it! my mech says it's RARE to get a defective unit. i called superlift and they're going to send me a new one. at least they stand by their product. now as for the toyota device that calibrates your speedo, it only works on oem spec cars/trucks. it's some kind of computer thing (looks like a snap-on modius 7200, i think!) that basically sets everything back to factory settings, reads codes, etc... make sense? mustang probably knows what i'm talking about. anyhow, this does me no good because i am running bigger tires and this device doesn't adjust for that. my mech. explained it to me and this is what i got out of it. so you guys were right. the only way to adjust for bigger tires is with a truspeed. so now i'll just have to wait a couple of days/weeks to get my new one.:tu:
haha hey get me a free one while your at it!

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Mustang will return Tommorow, Thursday then he can resolve this riddle

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
:clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

He's yanking your chain, or misinformed.
Not even the TOYOTA scan tool can recalibrate the speedo on STOCK TUNDRA vehicles.
It can't even change shift points unless there is a TSB for a ECU update. The only way to change shift points is to:
A: Mod the valve body = IPT trans or equivilant
B: Reprogram ECU w/a TOYOTA UPDATE calibration file, THERE ARE NO CALIBRATION FILES FOR TUNDRAS.

This shift point update is what TOYOTA says it should shift at, YOU CAN NOT ADJUST or Change anything to your own personal liking. Its only to help curb the flare betwenn 3/4th and has nothing to do with the speedo.

If I could have done it to my own vehicle I would have and saved the $150 ;) :D

DEFECTIVE TRUSPEED :confused: WOW thats a first. I have installed over 12 of these without a issue or problem.

Hope the person installing it knows what they are doing. They do not install the same in every vehicle and are vehicle wire specific when it comes to wiring them. If your not able to get the next one to work e-mail me, I'd be happy to help you wire it properly, and make sure you have the correct wires.
GOOD LUCK :tu: with the next one.
Let us know if it works. The TRUSPEED ROCKS!!!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

He's yanking your chain, or misinformed.
Not even the TOYOTA scan tool can recalibrate the speedo on STOCK TUNDRA vehicles.
It can't even change shift points unless there is a TSB for a ECU update. The only way to change shift points is to:
A: Mod the valve body = IPT trans or equivilant
B: Reprogram ECU w/a TOYOTA UPDATE calibration file, THERE ARE NO CALIBRATION FILES FOR TUNDRAS.

This shift point update is what TOYOTA says it should shift at, YOU CAN NOT ADJUST or Change anything to your own personal liking. Its only to help curb the flare betwenn 3/4th and has nothing to do with the speedo.

If I could have done it to my own vehicle I would have and saved the $150 ;) :D

DEFECTIVE TRUSPEED :confused: WOW thats a first. I have installed over 12 of these without a issue or problem.

Hope the person installing it knows what they are doing. They do not install the same in every vehicle and are vehicle wire specific when it comes to wiring them. If your not able to get the next one to work e-mail me, I'd be happy to help you wire it properly, and make sure you have the correct wires.
GOOD LUCK :tu: with the next one.
Let us know if it works. The TRUSPEED ROCKS!!!
basically what you said is what my mech was talking about. he thought i had a problem with my speedo not working properly and thus was causing my shifts to be off because of speed/rpm (???). he thought i needed a new sending sensor thing (you know what i'm talking about) and that they have a device to recalibrate back to toyota specs after fixing the sensor thing. after he saw my lifted truck with bigger tires he knew what i was talking about then and your right, there isn't anything in toyota's tool box to correct this.

as far as the defective truspeed goes. it was just that, defective. the shop mech was talking to superlift trying to trouble shoot it and superlift said it was defective. i didn't get all the details. the shop said it was rare to get a defective one because they said they install them all the time. they said they've only seen a couple and it's usually something simple like a loose wire but if you crack the case to fix it and it doesn't work, your out a truspeed. superlift was really cool about it though. they're sending me a return lable to mail it back to them and they'll send me a new one. i could've got a new one first but i'd have to buy it and when they got the old one back they would've credited my card back. i'll wait. i'd love to know how you hooked yours up though. i was thinking about doing it myself but i'm not sure which wires on my tundra i'd use. any help with this would be VERY GRATEFUL and instead of paying someone else to do it, i could buy something else!!!!!!!! THANKS MUSTANG

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
It looks like you have a 2001 Tundra.

The best place we have found to connect is behind the combination meter (speedo housing). The TRUSPEED unit goes in the glove box.

Remove speedometer assy and find the BROWN C13 connector on the back.
You need connector C13 pin #2, it is a Light blue/Yellow wire. Cut this wire 2-3 inches from the connector. The Green truspeed wire goes to the harness side of the wire you just cut and the YELLOW TRUSPEED wire goes to the connector side of the wire.

Find a good GROUND bolt, left kick panel usually works for the BLACK TRUSPEED wire.

Find a good 12v power source for the RED TRUSPEED wire and make sure it is fused, there is a black/yellow wire just below the ignition switch that works well.

Once these are hooked up, adjust the TRUSPEED as per instructions, then find a handheld GPS and with another person go drive and adjust the TRUSPEED as you driving for a perfect speedo setting.

I have been installing the LAST TRUSPEEDS in the glove box, they are out of the way and you have easy access to them for any minor adjustments.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The best place we have found to connect is behind the combination meter (speedo housing). The TRUSPEED unit goes in the glove box.

You need connector C13 pin #2, it is a Light blue/Yellow wire. Cut this wire 2-3 inches from the connector. The Green truspeed wire goes to the harness side of the wire you just cut and the YELLOW TRUSPEED wire goes to the connector side of the wire.

Find a good GROUND bolt, left kick panel usually works for the BLACK TRUSPEED wire.

Find a good 12v power source for the RED TRUSPEED wire and make sure it is fused, there is a black/yellow wire just below the ignition switch that works well.

Once these are hooked up, adjust the TRUSPEED as per instructions, then find a handheld GPS and with another person go drive and adjust the TRUSPEED as you driving for a perfect speedo setting.

I have been installing the LAST TRUSPEEDS in the glove box, they are out of the way and you have easy access to them for any minor adjustments.

Good Luck
THANKS MUSTANG!!!!!! i'm going to try this as soon as it quits raining! THANKS AGAIN BROTHER!
:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
9 Posts

Good Luck

MUSTANG,

I just learned about Truspeed through this thread...Would the install instructions for my 04 DC be the same? I'd save a lot of money on speeding tickets. I've got 35x12.5.17 ProComp MT's and so my speed is about 5 miles faster than my speedometer reading.

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
MUSTANG,

I just learned about Truspeed through this thread...Would the install instructions for my 04 DC be the same? I'd save a lot of money on speeding tickets. I've got 35x12.5.17 ProComp MT's and so my speed is about 5 miles faster than my speedometer reading.
NO it is very different for your 04DC

e-mail me all your info

who you are, what vehicle?
2wd/4wd/auto/mtm/abs/vsc?
Give me a few days and i will e-mail you the info for the installation

[email protected]
thanks

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did it stop raining yet?:D
hey mustang! it stopped raining finally and i hooked up the truspeed. thanks for the instructions! it was pretty simple with your info. however the truspeed didn't work. you can dial, adjust and all that good stuff and it does nothing. i believe it's defective. if you shake it there's a rattle in it. maybe a wire came loose?? i just got my return label today so i should have another one in a couple of days and i'll do it again. your instructions were dead on though. i'm taking it that they were for a 2wd because everything was right where you said it would be and the correct color as well. way better instructions than what superlift sent me! do you have any good deals on donahoe coilovers? i found camburge uca's and racerunner 2.5 coilovers for $1100.00 to my door from 4wheelparts. what do you think? i'm not sure of what to do with the rear though. deaver 10 pk or the 3 pk? i'm running 285/75/16's and i'm planning on an arb front bumper. it's $800 from a dealer in virginia beach including install. i want my truck level when i do the arb. again, thank you!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts