Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suspension Modification to Accomodate Slide in Camper

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I currently own a 2008 Tundra Limited with the TRD package. I've searched the forum for answers on this but have been unable to get a crisp answer to my question so I'm starting a new thread.

I'm going to be buying an Outfitter Manufacturing slide in camper for my Tundra. Specifically, I'm going to get the Caribou 6.5 with some options. About 1000 lbs dry weight. I regularly tow my drift boat and plan to do that with the camper on board. The boat goes about 1500 lbs, tonge weight of about 50 lbs. I currently have Air-Lift air bags installed on the rear axle to help with weight and I really like them. I've been advised that I should probably add a sway bar to help counter load shift with the camper on the back. I'm considering adding the TRD sway bar from Toyota but have looked at Helwig as well... My questions for the group are as follows;

1) Do folks have any thoughts on whether or not a sway bar is necessary in this application? Is it overkill considering the weight and the air bags already being installed?

2) Does anyone have experience with the TRD sway bar in a camper application? If so, what has your experience been?

3) Is there any reason to consider the Helwig over the TRD?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you search the subforums there is one dedicated to those that tow, you're more likely to get a response there. Welcome to the forums :welcome:

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Re: Suspension Modification to Accomodate Slide in Camper

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I currently own a 2008 Tundra Limited with the TRD package. I've searched the forum for answers on this but have been unable to get a crisp answer to my question so I'm starting a new thread.

I'm going to be buying an Outfitter Manufacturing slide in camper for my Tundra. Specifically, I'm going to get the Caribou 6.5 with some options. About 1000 lbs dry weight. I regularly tow my drift boat and plan to do that with the camper on board. The boat goes about 1500 lbs, tonge weight of about 50 lbs. I currently have Air-Lift air bags installed on the rear axle to help with weight and I really like them. I've been advised that I should probably add a sway bar to help counter load shift with the camper on the back. I'm considering adding the TRD sway bar from Toyota but have looked at Helwig as well... My questions for the group are as follows;

1) Do folks have any thoughts on whether or not a sway bar is necessary in this application? Is it overkill considering the weight and the air bags already being installed?

2) Does anyone have experience with the TRD sway bar in a camper application? If so, what has your experience been?

3) Is there any reason to consider the Helwig over the TRD?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
This member has one:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/155266-tundra-crowned-king-truck-camper/
Send her/him? a PM.:D

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
From all my reading, a swaybar will help improve control and handling, and would likely be advised in your application, especially as you have a higher center of gravity with a truck camper. They're easy to install and according to many members "the best, cheapest mod you can do on the truck." Easier to install than even the air bags, and those go in pretty well.
It is my next mod, after I get my truck back.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also have a pop up (Fourwheelcamper-Hawk model) mounted on my 07 DC Limited with the 5.7 engine... very good luck with the Air Lift bags ... very stable and easy to run. I only put the bags on because of towing a heavy trailer only occasionally... I rarely inflate the bags much .. even when loaded...

Regarding your unit... as long as the center of gravity is correctly over the rear wheels or slightly forward of the rear wheels.. I think you will do well..Truck should carry load well. Regarding the trailer ... with only 50lb of tongue weight and only 1500lb total... you should have no trouble towing. The bags will help with the any weight issue and you have plenty of engine if you have the 5.7.... BTW... as you know ... you are approaching the max recommended for the vehicle for weight carrying.

Regarding the sway bar... I have no experience with them... I have towed relatively light stuff without issue without a sway bar and just with the bags installed. Plenty of braking power.

Towing a loaded trailer (with say Quads or something like that ) worries me at high speed... with or without any other helper stuff on the vehicle. The single point of failure (ball hitch) still bothers me.. Maybe I am just too cautious...

just my two cents...

Good luck ... but most importantly... Have Fun!! You and I can go places most folks cannot!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all...

I installed the TRD sway bar last weekend... Easy install - 45 minutes including clean up. The handling with the camper on board is significantly improved. Cornering in particular is noticably improved with little or no roll at highway speeds on 45-65 mph curves... I think the combo of the Air-Lift bags and the TRD sway bar is the perfect combo for for the use case I'm employing.

:ts:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Here is a shot of my Rig...
sweet. thats one option we have looked at and still have in the back of our minds....we had thought about a class C rv to tow our boat as well but the slide in really appeals to me...keep us posted on how you like it and all that...the one thing that does get me though is the price of some of those units....man they can exceed the cost of a small travel trailer in a hurry...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the Outfitter www.Outfittermfg.com Caribou 6.5. Outfitter is out of Longmont Colorado. Best rig I could find. I have several friends with 10+ years of services on theirs with no issues other than regular maintanence. All aluminum frame, 900 lbs dry. I have 110 watt solar, and dual 6 volt agm batteries, 1800 BTU furnace, nice stove. Sleeps 3 if you're friendly...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts