Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
First post on here for me. So...I have a 02' Tundra and a few years ago I installed coil spacers that are about 2'". As I have found on the forums that was not the best decision and my ball joints hit the springs and are now toast. I also have 1" blocks in the back so the truck sits just slightly higher in the back than the front. I like the stance of the truck and want it to remain that way. So here is what I am thinking to remedy my problem, please pipe in and give me your input. I am not cheap and I know better than to buy cheap stuff for my truck, I want to do it right this time but I am not rich either. I am thinking about buying Camburg UCA's and leaving my stock springs but installing Blistein 5100 adjustable struts in the front with the Blistein matching 5100 shocks in the rear. Will this solve my problem with the springs hitting the balljoints in the front? Also, will this still give me about 2" of lift like I want? Do I leave the coil spacers in when I install new UCA's and struts or do I take them off and shoot at them for causing me problems? I can get the Camburg UCA's with the front adjustable Blisteins and the rear Blistein 5100's all for $855 with shipping. Please help a rookie and thanks in advance!:confused:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hey Guys,
First post on here for me. So...I have a 02' Tundra and a few years ago I installed coil spacers that are about 2'". As I have found on the forums that was not the best decision and my ball joints hit the springs and are now toast. I also have 1" blocks in the back so the truck sits just slightly higher in the back than the front. I like the stance of the truck and want it to remain that way. So here is what I am thinking to remedy my problem, please pipe in and give me your input. I am not cheap and I know better than to buy cheap stuff for my truck, I want to do it right this time but I am not rich either. I am thinking about buying Camburg UCA's and leaving my stock springs but installing Blistein 5100 adjustable struts in the front with the Blistein matching 5100 shocks in the rear. Will this solve my problem with the springs hitting the balljoints in the front? Also, will this still give me about 2" of lift like I want? Do I leave the coil spacers in when I install new UCA's and struts or do I take them off and shoot at them for causing me problems? I can get the Camburg UCA's with the front adjustable Blisteins and the rear Blistein 5100's all for $855 with shipping. Please help a rookie and thanks in advance!:confused:
The camburgs should solve your balljoint problem, I think they are a little longer and therefore won't hit the coil. The 5100's are a good shock and will give you your 2" of lift. Get rid of the spacers, the 5100's lift your truck the right way, and the spacers are both redundant and do more harm than good by leaving them on.

Good luck, and post pics when finished :D

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
yes and yes!!!

If you can do it, you will be very happy with that setup :)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
2WD or 4WD?
Either way, as previously mentioned you will be much happier with 5100's all around. This alone should work for you, and you should take those spacers out and yell out "PULL!":sniper:

If you are on a serious budget, I would try this first and if you are still itchy get the arms. (doesn't sound like me does it?) The reason I say this is it sounds like your real issue isn't your arms, but your method of lift. With 5100s you will have lift, nice ride, and no bind on the stock arms. Putting Camburg arms on is awesome, if you don't mind the occasional squeak of bushings, and the break in groan of uniballs. They do require more maintenance than stock arms. That includes pretty frequent cleaning of your uniballs, torque checks every few months, and once in a great while a rebuild may be needed. With certain mods there is a price to be paid. I have the arms, and I love them. I don't regret getting them at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thanks!
Plenty of info for me to move on it. Thanks guys, I think I will order the shocks, struts and arms tonight. How bad do the uniballs squeak and moan? Are they difficult to clean? I am in Oregon and it is solid rain here 9 months out of the year, I also hunt about 3 months out of the year and drive on dirt roads probably 8000 miles a year, do you think I would be better off with camburg arms or just stockers with toyota ball joints?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The moan is straight up emberassing. I just kept a can of wd-40 behind my seat for a couple weeks and sprayed/wiped them a couple times a day and that kept it to a minimum.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
That groaning noise is just during break in, and it seems to get quiet when the weather is cold. I can only assume thermal expansion is what causes the groan to show up when its hot outside and go away when it's cold. Mine are 3 months old and never make that noise anymore unless they are really dirty and its hot. The squeak isn't bad, I drive with my windows down 24/7, and only hear it once in a while when my stereo is off. Even then, it takes a tall speed bump to hear it. The squeak is from the bushings, I never hear it when I do rarely have my windows up.

They come with these zerk fittings for the bushings(well, mine were missing) but I don't see them as functional since the bushings don't actually pivot, the brass looking bearing pivots on the bolt. You can't get grease in there to lube it from the zerks, so I just plugged mine. I don't honestly see why they are there.:beatsme:

Cleaning is easy, I just wipe them off with a paper towel, top and bottom of the ball. If there is mud on them, I blow them off with my air compressor and the mud just flakes off. Once in a while I hit them with WD-40, take a ride around the block to get them cycling(hit some speed bumps) then park it and wipe off the balls. It's important to keep them as dry as possible and keep dirt or grease off them. Contaminates on the balls will cause noises, and can cause scuffs which will make friction during movement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Much Help. Installed TC rack and pinion bushings tonight...can't tell a difference yet cuz my ball joints are so worn out, but I will post details once I get my new UCA's installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts