Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I don't tow much. This truck is my daily-driver / family-hauler / Home-Depot materials getter ....... I'm not worried about hauling & towing capacity for the most part, and I'll probably never need to tow more than 5-6k lbs. But, since I cart the family around, I'd like to soften the ride out a bit.

I'm already planning on adding the TRD sway bar, as people seem to be very happy with the overall handling improvements (including ride quality) that the sway bar provides.

Are there any other relatively cheap suspension tweaks, upgrades, add-ons, replacements... that I can do to soften the ride a bit? I know it's a truck, but now that I haul kids in the back seat more than I haul materials in the bed, I want to improve the comfort factor a bit. Sure would be nice to swap out the Sequoia's independent rear-suspension in this truck!!!

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

I have Alcan soft springs, Firestone Airbags for heavy loads, TRD Sway Bar, and Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks. Combo works great. I've already loaded this truck heavy with gravel. No hiccups. Soaks up bad roads well. Good for long driving. Alcan custom made the leaf springs almost $600 for a set. I sent them my old stock spring as their sample.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ Thanks! ^^^ I wouldn't need the bags, as I'm not doing anything heavy.... U think the soft-springs & sway-bar would be enough, or should I add different shocks too?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I recommend replacing the stock shocks with Bilstein or Rancho 9000XL. But if you're not gonna be loading the truck heavily, Bilsteins would be good. My stock shocks are rotting in the storage shed. I'm gonna try to sell it in Craiglist or ebay or maybe use them for some mod. I also have Bilstein HD which I used with the Alcan and airbag set up. Nice and soft but not enough rebound damping to control the airbags' kick ups.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info - you think I can get away with just upgrading the shocks? Again, just looking for softer ride, no issues for towing/hauling.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
just borrow my mother in law and put her in the bed. should make for a smoother ride.

oh and popo...

its a friggin truck!!!! let it ride like a truck. dont sissy it up hahahaha jack that sucker up and make it ride worse!!!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just borrow my mother in law and put her in the bed. should make for a smoother ride. oh and popo... It's a friggin truck!!!! let it ride like a truck. dont sissy it up hahahaha jack that sucker up and make it ride worse!!!
LOL - send her over! I would jack it up, but don't see the point. Just to spend more $ on bigger tires? Nope, not me. This truck is my Minivan/Pickup/Sportscar all-in-one. So, I want the ride to be a bit softer....

U guys think that better shocks will be enough?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You may be in luck. there is a promotion this month that if you buy 4 rancho 9000xl, you send in a form to rancho and they send you the remote adjuster. you can dial them down or up from the driver seat. If that isn't enough, try you local spring shop to see what they can do. Maybe a thinner leaf

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Thanks for the info - you think I can get away with just upgrading the shocks? Again, just looking for softer ride, no issues for towing/hauling.
This is what the guy from Alcan Springs had me do before I ordered the springs:

Remove 1 rear shock and take it for a test drive. Not on a highway but side streets that you are very familiar with that you can compare the ride with both shocks and with one shock. If the ride softened to your liking, then just replace the shock.

I forgot you have a Crewmax 4x4, the heaviest of the Tundras. You may just need softer shocks. Mine is an RCSB, one of the lightest.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tires Tires Tires
I'm already planning to order some General Grabbers or Falcon Ziex's this summer, since these Wrangler HP's, even though new, are way too hard and spin-out all the time. Everyone that has them says they last forever (well, 40-60k miles), but I'm finding that they're just too slick on everything. Maybe that WILL help too --- good point!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my dad had one set of goodyear wranglers once. hated them from day one. rain sucked. they were too hard to get any traction...and that was on a 6 cylinder f150. vowed to replace them with something better when they wore out. problem was they wouldnt wear out hahaha.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think one of the best things you could do is trade someone your 20" Limited wheels for some 18" TRD wheels or something similar. I had 20" on my Dodge, and it was big difference riding in the same truck but with 17" wheels.

More rubber gives a better ride. Might give up some cornering performance if you can even tell, but for a better ride and off road, I like a smaller wheel and more rubber.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks T.Riley, but getting rid of the 20's is not an option. I'll get better tires (already in the works), but not going down to 18's. I do appreciate the thought tho

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I am like popo as well. Would like to soften it a tad.
I loved the factory Bilsteins on my old TRD tacoma.
Would the Bilsteins from a TRD CM be an easy transplant? Has anyone here done it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
popo - what have you figured out your solution is? I too have a 2010 Crewmax (Platinum Edition:)) and want a much software ride. It just does not feel right to be bumped around in a 50K SportTruck (note the sport truck title!)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Don... Well, I'm gonna have to wait a little while now, since I didn't do as well on taxes as I was hoping. But, I was planning on adding the TRD Sway-bar, and adding softer shocks. I'm thinking that should be enough to soften-out the bumps... and if that didn't work, I'd look into softer springs. Probably be doing it in Summer now... let me know if you try something that helps out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks, one quick thing I did was change the tire pressure the dealer had from 38psi to 32psi as posted inside the door and made a big difference.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts