Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SUV Based On Tundra Platform

When will there be an SUV based on the Tundra like the qx56/Armada/Titan, Yukon/Silverado, H3/Colorado etc.?

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Sequoia is the Tundra based SUV.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea but its still based on 1st gen.

Usually they switch over the SUV at the same time.

Not so, Toyoyta.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Baby steps, guys, baby steps.

They have to ramp up production on one model before throwing another into the mix. Besides, if sales flopped on the Tundra, they likely would flop on the SUV. Give em' another year, it will be seen in 09' I bet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read a few months ago that the original plan was to do the new Sequoia on the new Tundra chassis, but with gas prices, Toyota decided to develop the new Sequoia on the old chassis to keep the size the same. I'm sure it will get the 5.7, it just won't be quite as huge.

Of course things may have changed since then. I'll look in one of our vehicle forecasting books and see what it says about the Sequoia.

Linc

·
Registered
552 Posts
It seems they usually follow one model year later.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would say it's probably up in the air. It seems that the SUV version of a chasis usually follows the truck by a year or two. Didn't the Nissan Armada come out after the Titan? The Durango after the new Dakota?

I think Dodge put a large Ram-based SUV on hold due to gas prices and talked with GM about collaborating in the Suburban market.

Basically, with gas prices the way they are, everyone is worried that a really large SUV could be a complete bust by the time it came to market just like Detroit got caught over the past couple of years with gas guzzling SUVs. That bad timing practically killed that big Jeep SUV.

With a new Tundra-based Sequoia, We're talking something the size of a Suburban that gets 12 - 13 MPG at best.

·
Registered
67 Posts
GM went a different route, and the SUV's came out before the new pickups this time around.

Just because the Sequoia would move to the new frame wouldn't make it the size of the Suburban. Even the 1st gen Sequoia wasn't the exact same dimensions of the 1st Gen Tundra. Toyota could've made an SUV larger than the Sequoia, but it chose not to.

I believe the Sequoia will move to the new frame/chassis of the Tundra, and get several V8 options.

Lexus just announced that they'll debut the new LX570 next month. I think Toyota focused on the Land Cruiser/LX570 combo first, as it is WAY overdue for an update. Next, I would see the Sequoia update. If not debuting late this year, then first thing next spring. Again, just all my opinion

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You're probably right. I looked in to the Sequoia about a year ago and couldn't get myself to pull the trigger because the chasis looked SO dated. I couldn't see spending that kind of money on an SUV that was so non-descript. The Lexus SUV's look like the same way except with more useless bulges and other crap adhered to the body.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do they actually need the Land Cruiser and a Sequoia based on the 07 Tundra platform?

One of them will have to go or the Sequoia will share a platform w/the Taco.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just don't see room for 2 massive SUV's (Landcruiser, Sequoia based on new Tundra)

They should do what Nissan did w/the Titan ( Armada and QX56) and dump the Landcruiser IMO.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do they actually need the Land Cruiser and a Sequoia based on the 07 Tundra platform?

One of them will have to go or the Sequoia will share a platform w/the Taco.
The 4runner already shares the chassis with the Taco. I don't think the Land Cruiser will be based on the Tundra chassis, as it has always been it's own chassis. It has never been a US based model. It is built in Japan, and is designed for the rest of the world, with a few coming to North America.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
new Seq will be out late this year or early next. If you like the front half of the Tundra.....you will like the new Seq.
And how do you know?

As for the LandCruiser, this truck isn't made to appeal to the American families, its main purpose is to haul alot of people as comfortable as possible in luxury on the worlds crappiest terrain. Something the Sequoia will never be able to do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts