Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys thought long and hard on this and I would absolutely do it. I know someone on here that already swapped in a toyota W58 5speed manual transmission into a 2000 4.7liter tundra. His video of him driving it was very smooth. Another post he made had some tweaks that he did to smooth out some things and now he says it drives like it came from the factory. Applause to that guy!!! Now I wanna do the same thing but go bigger. I have a separate plan for the 4.7liter that will include forged internals and a turbo into a supra for track days and terrorizing the highways. :devil:

Anyone with ANY information they can offer would be really appreciated. I just joined this forum recently and left some posts for other people and learned quite a bit already from other posts. Just so you know, I utterly love my tundra and want to keep it till it crumbles into little pieces which I figure will be around the time of the apocalypse so I should be good for awhile.:nuke:

What I use the truck for now is daily driving, and trips to the keys because I'm really big on fishing/camping. I have a small 17foot boat that I take out into the bay and canals so it's not much to haul around. I would really like to use a 6speed transmission for the 5.7liter swap and the cheapest and reliable one that I can find is a T56. Now if anyone can correct me and offer info on another I would appreciate it. I know I'll need an adapter plate for the trans to bolt up and flywheel etc... I'm also figuring that I'll need to swap out the 5.7liter truck's rear end into my '06. Once again guys, whatever info you can offer me or direction you can point me into would be very much appreciated. I'll have pictures up as soon as I get things going. For now, I'm playing with my exhaust and about to install a new intake in my truck for fun factor / mpg improvement.

P.S. I wanna do this build while retaining the cruise control. I've owned manual cars before and they had a cruise control feature to lock in the speed. I wanna do the same thing here. So I'm already figuring using a standalone ECU but which one would allow me that feature. Thanks..

:fl::trd:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I know it's crazy but honestly just don't care. I'm familiar with working with some motor swaps and swap kits. I have built a few nissan 240's with chevy motors in them. I happen to notice that you have a lq4 6.0 in your tundra as per the notation under your post. Mine was with a full gutted interior and 6pt roll cage. All of the gauges were redone by myself and had a friend do the wiring. I used a swap kit to drop it in and it worked fine. I used it for drifting mainly and since it was so lightweight and powerful I would take some people on empty streets late at night when no one was around. I was carbed with a 750 holley and a single plane intake manifold. Custom exhaust with y pipe into a 3.25in exhaust with a Apexi muffler with built in silencer. Basically when at WOT the pressure would open the silencer up and allow straight flow to occur and when the pressure was low such as driving through traffic it would be closed and tune down the sound so no unwanted attention would come my way.

Anyways this is the route that I wanna take. I wanna go 5.7liter with 5/6speed trans(preferably 6) and cruise control in my '06 SR5. There's a guy swapping a 3urfe (5.7liter) into a lexus SC430(2000+) car as a drift ride. The guy is on youtube under joedrifter.com or drifterjoe.com one or the other. He's actually using the tundra's factory gauge cluster in the lexus in one of his videos. Once I find out which transmission he's using, I'm going to get on it. I figure since alot of drifters are dropping V8's into their cars and using adapter plates that I can get alot more info from them. I've only swapped chevys up until this point. Don't get me wrong, I love a chevy engine but the toyotas are just sooo smooth and reliable. Plus the 2uzfe(4.7liter) I have now has an iron block so I figure with some forged internal pieces, I can drop that into my mk4 supra and slap a disgusting turbo on it and destroy the tracks and terrorize the highways a bit. :devil:

Thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya saw the video. I saw it actually awhile ago before I joined up here. Literally the day I found out that I was getting my tundra I started going through youtube for anything I could learn from, and looking for performance online shops for info and parts. When I drop the 5.7liter into my '06 I know I'll get a ton of fun out of it as it is simply due to the fact that engine was designed to push a much much heavier truck. My father had a '09 dblcab and it hauled a$$. So I can only imagine what that engine would be capable of in a lighter truck.

Here's another thing. I see that the tacoma has a hood with smooth looking scoop on it. I WANT THAT!!! Is there a hood like that for the tundra??? Otherwise I'm considering doing my own scoop but I simply love how flush that scoop looked on the tacoma. I have to see it everyday because where I work, someone has it. Cutting off my big suitcase muffler and replacing the chunky resonator with a high flow resonator and straight pipe after that. Don't want to go dual pipes out the back simply because it'll add weight. I want to shed weight.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Ya saw the video. I saw it actually awhile ago before I joined up here. Literally the day I found out that I was getting my tundra I started going through youtube for anything I could learn from, and looking for performance online shops for info and parts. When I drop the 5.7liter into my '06 I know I'll get a ton of fun out of it as it is simply due to the fact that engine was designed to push a much much heavier truck. My father had a '09 dblcab and it hauled a$$. So I can only imagine what that engine would be capable of in a lighter truck.

Here's another thing. I see that the tacoma has a hood with smooth looking scoop on it. I WANT THAT!!! Is there a hood like that for the tundra??? Otherwise I'm considering doing my own scoop but I simply love how flush that scoop looked on the tacoma. I have to see it everyday because where I work, someone has it. Cutting off my big suitcase muffler and replacing the chunky resonator with a high flow resonator and straight pipe after that. Don't want to go dual pipes out the back simply because it'll add weight. I want to shed weight.
here are some i found
Vis Racing 00-06 Toyota Tundra Fiber Glass Outlaw Type 2 Hood
Vis 00-06 Toyota Tundra Fiber Glass Outlaw Type 1 Hood, Vis Racing Hoods, Hoods, Exterior
Vis Racing 00-06 Toyota Tundra Fiber Glass Outlaw Type 1 Hood
i personally like the first and third one best but i like the aggressive look, out of those two i like the third one best because it gives you an aggressive looking front end and says hey you dont want to mess with me with out it looking obnoxious and screaming it

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks man I appreciate it. I already looked at all of them and I'll make a decision this weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Thanks man I appreciate it. I already looked at all of them and I'll make a decision this weekend. Thanks again.
also as far as an intake for your current motor id save your money. search around for some post and it makes sense why they dont work, majority suck hot engine bay air. then you will have a few more bucks to put into the truck doing a swap. when i first got my truck i bought into the whole intake thing bought one saw no difference but a nice sexy drone from it sucking are at wide open throttle thats it.

also i have seen one that has a functional scoop that actually looks like one of the stick on fake scoops, im not a big fan of it but others are. i wasnt able to find that one for you tho.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

Weight in the back of the truck is a good thing when it comes to traction.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also as far as an intake for your current motor id save your money. search around for some post and it makes sense why they dont work, majority suck hot engine bay air. then you will have a few more bucks to put into the truck doing a swap. when i first got my truck i bought into the whole intake thing bought one saw no difference but a nice sexy drone from it sucking are at wide open throttle thats it.

also i have seen one that has a functional scoop that actually looks like one of the stick on fake scoops, im not a big fan of it but others are. i wasnt able to find that one for you tho.

--- So maybe just replace the intake filter in the airbox with a k&n filter for better flow I guess. Whenever I go to other performance websites all the pictures are not exact to product being mentioned which pisses me off. I need to know what it looks like so I'll know how to fit the damn thing. Thanks though I appreciate it still.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

-- Right now I'm not concerned with traction just getting as many miles out of every tank as possible. That's why I'm looking for carbon fiber hoods with scoops and anything else I can do to lighten it up. Such as taking off that giant muffler and replacing that resonator with a high flow one and a straight pipe right out of it. Hell I'm gonna go and look at my truck right now and see if right after that resonator if I can turn the pipe to exit right before the rear wheel. That's less piping and less weight right there. We'll see otherwise, if it's gonna be too close then I'll just run it out the stock location behind the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
--- So maybe just replace the intake filter in the airbox with a k&n filter for better flow I guess. Whenever I go to other performance websites all the pictures are not exact to product being mentioned which pisses me off. I need to know what it looks like so I'll know how to fit the damn thing. Thanks though I appreciate it still.
stay away form kn. if you ever oil it gums up the maf sensor and the filter holes are big and let things pass through, once again the forum has posted tones of better drop in filter. talk to highway lizard if your looking to boost mpgs for the time being. man is a freaking genious and has tried/trying anything and everything to boost mpgs and has.

if you want i have the afe cold air intake with the pro dry filter. and i can snap a pic for you when i get out of class.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stay away form kn. if you ever oil it gums up the maf sensor and the filter holes are big and let things pass through, once again the forum has posted tones of better drop in filter. talk to highway lizard if your looking to boost mpgs for the time being. man is a freaking genious and has tried/trying anything and everything to boost mpgs and has.

if you want i have the afe cold air intake with the pro dry filter. and i can snap a pic for you when i get out of class.

-------- I will and thanks again. Ya for the time being I want to improve the gas mileage. I'm not doing anything aggressive with it now since it's an auto. Though once the manual trans goes in, I'm gonna beat the hell out of it. :devil:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hey what would you suggest for either a cheap intake system / or a drop in filter simply to improve mpg for the time being?? Italiantundra told me to ask you.

I don't want to do too much to the engine since I'll be taking it out anyways. All I have done since I got it was flush the fuel system and an oil change with full synthetic oil. I'm pretty sure the original owner, my older brother, didn't change the spark plugs so that will be next. It starts right up with not one bit of hassle at all. What sparks would you suggest also or should I just replace with OEM's??

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Hey what would you suggest for either a cheap intake system / or a drop in filter simply to improve mpg for the time being?? Italiantundra told me to ask you.

I don't want to do too much to the engine since I'll be taking it out anyways. All I have done since I got it was flush the fuel system and an oil change with full synthetic oil. I'm pretty sure the original owner, my older brother, didn't change the spark plugs so that will be next. It starts right up with not one bit of hassle at all. What sparks would you suggest also or should I just replace with OEM's??
ngk is good. was turned on to them by another member here, and how thinking about it i was going to suggest two mods for mpgs and power headers and electric fan mod, around two-three mpg gain, but not worth it for you since the motor is coming out. i really think the only way t increase mileage on the truck for now is keep your foot out of it and drive like a little old lady. as stated highway will be able to elaborate mover.

also if your going to do the engine swap why not go all the way and pic you up a trd supercharger. 500hp would be sick

here is an intake pic for you IMG_0331.jpg yes i know dirty engine bay

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

I thought I heard someone mention my name. Thank you for the kind words.

I used to run a K&N filter and ended up hating it. The filter flows like ever-living hell but filters very poorly. Just from an observational standpoint the filter came out looking exactly how it did when it went in - brand spanking new. At the same time my oil took on a dirtier appearance than it ever had before. As far as the MAF contamination I used to believe this but in the absence of hard proof (laboratory testing) I find it hard to believe. Add to that our MAF sensors are of the thermistor design and it makes this scenario implausible. Not saying that it does not happen, I just have not seen any convincing evidence to support the possibility. I also hate that I find myself defending K&N on this issue as I really do not like their filters. Just as a side note, I have run four different filters on my truck before settling on the current filter:

• Stock
  • Wix
  • K&N
  • True Flow Oiled foam filter
Currently running an Amsoil nano-fiber dry panel filter and love it. Excellent flow and excellent protection - the best of both worlds.

-- Right now I'm not concerned with traction just getting as many miles out of every tank as possible. That's why I'm looking for carbon fiber hoods with scoops and anything else I can do to lighten it up. Such as taking off that giant muffler and replacing that resonator with a high flow one and a straight pipe right out of it. Hell I'm gonna go and look at my truck right now and see if right after that resonator if I can turn the pipe to exit right before the rear wheel. That's less piping and less weight right there. We'll see otherwise, if it's gonna be too close then I'll just run it out the stock location behind the rear wheel.
Weight savings really only returns gains if you are drag racing. Everyday driving actually can take advantage of a little weight in the form of momentum. Now, if you have a thousand pounds of tools in the back of your truck this is a different story. On the highway I have recorded improved fuel economy with weight in the bed of the truck.

As far as squeezing every last MPG out of the truck you will be better served to make sure you are up on all the maintenance items rather than removing things from the truck. Here is a simple list of items to check:

After all the maintenance is up to date the first modification I recommend for fuel economy is the Scanguage. This will give you real time feedback on your driving methods so you can see what works and what does not - otherwise you are just shooting in the dark.

The fiberglass hood would be one weight savings that might be worth doing. There is a lot of weight on the front of the truck compared to the rear of the truck. Lighter rims are always a plus - the reduction of rotational mass makes less work for the engine.

I recommend keeping the stock box and installing the Amsoil nano-fiber dry panel filter. Go with OEM plugs - Denso or NGK. Plugs are engine specific and going with something other than OEM does not return power or economy gains with the stock motor. I would stay away from open element intakes (often fraudulently marketed as "Cold Air Intakes") as they draw warm intake air from the engine bay.

Got a number of things going on at the moment otherwise I would write more. Here are some links for your reading pleasure:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I thought I heard someone mention my name. Thank you for the kind words.
highway after reading many of your posts of results, ideas, and just general knowledge i have come to realize that you a very knowledgeable and helpful individual and have learned a lot about my truck from you. with what i said i was merely stating a fact :D:tu:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ngk is good. was turned on to them by another member here, and how thinking about it i was going to suggest two mods for mpgs and power headers and electric fan mod, around two-three mpg gain, but not worth it for you since the motor is coming out. i really think the only way t increase mileage on the truck for now is keep your foot out of it and drive like a little old lady. as stated highway will be able to elaborate mover.

also if your going to do the engine swap why not go all the way and pic you up a trd supercharger. 500hp would be sick

here is an intake pic for you View attachment 44619 yes i know dirty engine bay

I'm already taking care of all of the maintenance aspects. Lighter hood will be next. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna get that Amsoil nano-fiber dry panel filter. Thanks again for everything.

Reason I'm not considering the TRD supercharger right now is because I'm also doing a supra project little by little. I plan on putting the 4.7liter with forged internals and a turbo in a mk4. So I wanna make sure I can appropriate the funds evenly and according to the amount of time I have to put into it. My supra is a NA 5speed with mods according to what I wanna do with it. So right now I want to concentrate on getting my tundra done. Little by little work on my daily driver and after I do the swap, the pulled motor will be worked on.

Thanks for the post!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts