Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good bulb choice to swap out the drl bulbs to? I am going to get them from VLED but dont know which bulb to go with.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you have DRL lights none of the ones vleds sale will work. They all say cant be used with the tundra drl.

I have found some from Tail Lights LED Flashing that dont say you cant use them with drl. I ordered 2 and will see if they work when they get here.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
The reason you can't use the V-LED bulbs as DRLs is because the 3-chip amber LEDs (running on the high element) will generate too much heat in a steady-on state and burn out after a short period of time. But, you could still use these bulbs if you can avoid having the amber LEDs on all the time.

This is what I remember being told from the source. Hopefully V-LEDS will correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're a little ambitious you could do what I have planned and what others have already done. As soon as V-LEDS has them back in stock I'll be ordering a pair of the 92 LED amber/white switchbacks and doing the amber to white DRL mod:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/152310-amber-drl-into-white-drl/?highlight=amber+to+white+drl

This way the white LEDs (running on the low element) will be on all the time as they are designed to be, and I'll have white DRLs instead of amber. The amber LEDs will only light up for signaling. Of course the other option would be to skip the amber-to-white mod all together and just drive with my headlights on all the time, but I choose the challenge.:biggrin1:

VooDooDan - please do let us know how those other switchbacks work. They're certainly a bit cheaper than the V-LEDS equivalents, but has anyone compared the two types? I'm going to stick with my original plan, but I'm still curious.

·
Registered
397 Posts
VooDooDan - please do let us know how those other switchbacks work. They're certainly a bit cheaper than the V-LEDS equivalents, but has anyone compared the two types? I'm going to stick with my original plan, but I'm still curious.
Will do. Should have them by next weekend.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes please let us know how the switch backs work. I have been informed by VLED that they are working on an option to make the 92 switchback work in 07 and newer tundras. I just don't know how long this will take. I am planing on switching all exterior bulbs to led as soon as uncle sam gets me my money.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I thought those vled switchbacks did work? I've seen videos of them on YouTube? I'm curious of which ones to go with as well cause I hate the drls, which is why I disabled them. But they are still on with headlights so I'm not sure what ur talkin about by leaving ur headlights on? They stand out a lot especially now that I have hids...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I thought those vled switchbacks did work? I've seen videos of them on YouTube? I'm curious of which ones to go with as well cause I hate the drls, which is why I disabled them. But they are still on with headlights so I'm not sure what ur talkin about by leaving ur headlights on? They stand out a lot especially now that I have hids...
If you have the amber lights on with your headlights off then you have drl and vleds says you cant use them. If you disabled that then you should have no problem using them. Just make sure you get Ohm resistors.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I thought those vled switchbacks did work?
You're right, they did. But only the bulbs that have single-chip amber LEDs. The bulbs with the upgraded 3-chip amber LEDs cannot be used for DRLs.

so I'm not sure what ur talkin about by leaving ur headlights on?
What I meant was that with the headlights on, the DRL function is off. DRL off = low element in use = white LEDs on = OK!:tu:

V-LEDS mentioned that this was the only way to run the 3-chip amber switchbacks without doing any mods to the wiring.

If you have the amber lights on with your headlights off then you have drl and vleds says you cant use them. If you disabled that then you should have no problem using them. Just make sure you get Ohm resistors.
:nod:

I have been informed by VLED that they are working on an option to make the 92 switchback work in 07 and newer tundras.
Thanks for the tip! :thumb: Looks like I'll be waiting a bit to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ok, I got my LED's today in the mail and had about 30mins of light left so I thought I would give it a try.

It works and looks awesome, but there is bad news. With the headlights on I get a hyper flash for the signal on the driver side with the Ohm resistors installed on the red wire. This wire I tested with a volt meter as the hot wire for the turn signal with the headlights off. The turn signal works fine with no hyper flash when the headlight are off.

So I am thinking I might need a Ohm resistor for both hot wires because of the DRL. I ran out of light and it started to rain so I wasnt able to test this. I also didnt have time to test the other side yet.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Ok, I got my LED's today in the mail and had about 30mins of light left so I thought I would give it a try.

It works and looks awesome, but there is bad news. With the headlights on I get a hyper flash for the signal on the driver side with the Ohm resistors installed on the red wire. This wire I tested with a volt meter as the hot wire for the turn signal with the headlights off. The turn signal works fine with no hyper flash when the headlight are off.

So I am thinking I might need a Ohm resistor for both hot wires because of the DRL. I ran out of light and it started to rain so I wasnt able to test this. I also didnt have time to test the other side yet.
Hey VDD - have you solved your hyperflash issue(s) with these yet?

Also, can you provide some other info:
1. The number of LEDs on the bulbs you ordered (20, 30, 48, 60)?
2. Type of bulbs (AO vs. AW)?
3. Pics? (only if you happened to have some already - no need for a special trip)

Thanks for the leg work so far, and thanks in advance for the above!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts