Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
probably irrevelant but i have a 05 rclb. i bought it with a flowmaster system installed already. it starts right after resonator and includes a flowmaster cat, 50 series single in dual out muffler and 90 degree exit behind the tires. i want the louder sound of a 10 or 40 series flowmaster but i dont want to waste the nice system i already have. has anyone ever had a muffler cut out of a system like i have and had another one welded in its place? if so how much did it cost? i also want to take out the resonator but i know thats an easier job. thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a BA Muffler system from Dirty Deeds Industries. Best upgrade I have ever done on a vehicle. Tons of great reads on this product, look it up. A member on here (escondidotundra) is the owner/chief engineer. Send him a PM, or better yet, read about it: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...7499-how-properly-built-exhaust-system-works/ . Keith is a stand up guy.:tu:
i want to just stick with the system i have. all i really want to do is pay for the muffler and labor. I'm on a student budget here

·
Registered
33 Posts
Then go buy you a 10 or a 40 series and take it to the muff shop they will just cut that one out and weld your new one in and maybe if yours isn't in too bad of shape you can sell it to someone who is tight on funds that would want to put in on their truck. Muff shops just cut mufflers out and replace them all the time. Shouldn't cost very much at all. I work at a school the boys here are all the time changing from glass packs to straight pipe to flowmasters, turbo's what you are wanting to do is as simple a change as they come.

·
Registered
33 Posts
here in BF missouri they are going to replace my oem from Y pipe back and run stock tail pipe, muffs and all 85 smackaroos. What a deal.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I bet a six pack you're getting exactly what you're paying for either way ;).

Aluminized mild steel in a salt state might last a couple years. Clamps leak. If you guys were in the southwest, it probably wouldn't matter a bit, but in most cases you're paying for the sound of a cheap aluminized muffler with baffles directly blocking the exhaust stream, welded to a decent low-grade stainless factory pipe, and that is all. No torque benefit, and you'll be replacing it in a few years when it rusts out, all for the ability to sound imho like a clapped out low-end Detroit truck with blooie tubes and a hole in the muffler.

But it's your money.

I actually have a Magnaflow in the garage I'm not gonna use. Polished stainless casing, straight through design, but there's something about the perforated inner section I don't remember that led me to abandon the Magnaflow and get one of Keith's setups instead. Might be the inside is mild or aluminized or something, or half perf/half solid. Keith would know. At any rate, it'll be far better in a salt state than any cheap aluminized can, and it's straight through, so you'll actually get some torque from it vs the Flowmaster.

I don't remember what I paid for it on Amazon, but it wasn't much over 100$, maybe 130$ or something. I'd send it out for 100$ plus shipping, if any of you guys are interested. It's still wrapped in plastic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man you hit the nail on the head as far as the sound I was looking for. hahahahah. Good thing we ******** have a sense of humor. Nope mine is stainless with my stainless pipe. I will have so no rust and it is straight thruuuuuuuuu thanks for your input. As a fact of the matter Keith was the one who told me what to do even though I wasn't using his stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I busted up laughing when I read that...cheers, brutha :crazy3d:. That's a great price for stainless. Most trucks I saw in OH were rocking aluminized Flowmasters with the baffles. I swear they sound better when they rust through.

What muffler you using?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I probably shouldn't say, but I work at a OEM muffler and exhaust manufacturing plant. So I put together everything from vette muffs to VW and even harley. So I have taken a GM straight thru res. put it in place of mine some certain parts maybe misaligned (if you know what I mean) and then cut open a Screamin Eagle Harley pipe to check out what was in it and made another just like it only a little shorter 30in to be exact and now as of Saturday I will have it installed. So I will have my clapped out Detroit with blooie tubes on the road to rusting out in a couple of years 85 dollar exhaust system going. No really modified stainless Screamin Eagle straight thru behind a modified straight thru res. Nothing invested in new muff just labor putting it on. Don't care about torque, HP gain just good ole rumbly rumbly when I step out to pass on the interstate. If it don't work then I will try something different.Maybe poke a hole in it. hahahahahaha

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Come awn, they're not blooie tubes unless they're three feet of four inch tubing at the exit, one each side of the receiver! Yeah I'm about to "misalign" everything from the y-pipe back and hope I don't leave any holes.

So is it gonna sound like a Harley? :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okay had it done. Would you believe that it is actually quiet. Oh we'll,it was free and except for the labor of course. When I pulled out on interstate and stepped into it sounded like a good ole Turbo did back when they first came out.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Okay had it done. Would you believe that it is actually quiet.
:shocked3d:

Alright, you got me :crazy3d:.

Oh we'll,it was free and except for the labor of course. When I pulled out on interstate and stepped into it sounded like a good ole Turbo did back when they first came out.
It's still a smoking deal. Throw us some pics?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts