Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will be picking up my new 2010 DC 5.7 4x4 with the TRD off road package. I was thinking of immediately replacing the stock BFG Rugged Trail in 275/65R18 with something better. I haven't heard anything good about the rugged trail's and I need a tire for light off roading and works good in snow. If I'm gonna do a swap, I would like to go a little bigger while still using the 18" TRD alloy rims.

From what I've gathered off the board, a 275/70R18 (33") will fit a factory truck. I plan on doing a Ready Lift 2.4" leveling kit down the road anyways. I was wondering if anyone else has swapped tires at the dealership AND if they have gone to a different size without getting much hassle (warranty issues, etc?). Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Good luck, I have tried to do that and the dealer had no interest in my stock tires. I think your best bet is to swap the tires right after you get the truck, I got $300 for my Bridgestones with only 300 miles on them.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Stealerships will not mess with wear items on vehicles,new or used.
Stealerships are strictly "profit" as with any other business.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
discount tire i think does or has had some trade in type programs and u can sell yours to them...otherwise get the tires from tire rack or someplace cheap and have them mounted, and then sell the ragged trails on craigslist or here. someone will buy them up. and you will come out ahead vs having the dealer do it.

oh and great choice on the 275/70s thats the size they shoudl have put on there to begin with IMO. they look great on stock or slightly lifted trucks. i have pics in my gallery of mine on there both stock height and lifted now. they look 100000000% percent better than the stock raggeds did. whats even sadder is the non TRD trucks...those tires are so small and narrow...the 275 width is the absolute narrowest that looks even remotely OK on the truck..that 255 or whatever the non turds have, thats horrible.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My dealer Pauly Toyota, installed my BFG 305/65/18 All-terrain KO's and my Toytec 2.5"Front/1"rear level lift too. They did it without questions or hassles and might i add did a great job, the tires were perfectly balanced and the truck road great. They also installed the diff drop because its a 4x4 and installed the skid plate spacers. They even trimmed and repainted my skid plate. The guys there are GREAT and really know what there doing! I cant thank them enough. :tu:

I asked the service manager if it would void the warranty or anything and he said "no". He said they would warranty all the work done including the level lift and if i had any problems to bring it back and they'd fix it for me. (got it in writing)

I had my brand new spare swapped out (for a matching TRD one with the P275 tire which i purchased form a friend) and they took the old rim and tire that had yet to see any miles and deducted the cost of the old P255 tire from my level lift/tire install bill. I think they gave me like $150 for the tire and rim.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some calling to area tire dealerships to see if any would be interested in letting me trade new tires in. Some weren't but one was and really nice to talk to. Quoted me $490 out the door to trade for mounted/ballanced BFG All Terrain KO's in 275/70R18. This was the best quote I got (so far) and gives me about $125/tire trade in. I think this is a pretty fair price. Any lower and I think I would keep them and sell them on my own like Barney_Fife mentioned.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Wow radiant you got a good dealer there. I would give them my business again.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Wow radiant you got a good dealer there. I would give them my business again.
Yea no kidding! Id go back to them in a heart beat. They were great to when i traded in my old 04 F-150 for the Tundra.

Pauly Toyota's the best dealership Ive ever been to and Ive become great friends with the service manager there, He actually coaches my sons baseball team.:usa1: Haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts