1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Replace it with what? A Central Council? A supreme soviet? A Student Council? A British House of Lords and House of Commons? A dictator for life, like Chavez? A secretary general?

Jeez, they just voted them in. What do they want?

A Democracy is the worst form of government imaginable, except for all the other alternatives. :D

My favorite quote from the article: "Despite these reviews, more than 90% of Congress routinely gets reelected every two years. It’s a shock when any incumbent loses. One explanation for this phenomenon frequently heard in Washington, D.C. is that “people hate Congress but love their own congressman.”

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Of course down here in Louisiana federal indictments & sex scandals help us to keep our politicians from staying in office for 2 long. Mary Landrieu has stayed clean for a while and I havn't heard anythang bad about Gov. Jindal, but when you sit and watch the evening news down here it's truely sad. It starts off with all the elected official corruption then goes into murders home invasion armed robbery's & such then the weather then sports. You gotta have thick skin to watch the news cause it's just plain dramatic. Yea you could run 90% off & it'd probably help.

·
Yamahauler
690 Posts
id like to get rid of all of them too, get a fresh start with some new people, some of them have been in there for WAY too long, Ted Kennedy is a great example, he was worthless for the last 5 years or so because he was too sick to do anything, but he was still getting that tax payer paycheck.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I think sex scandals shouldn't be a deterrent. In fact, the single people might be the best ones to vote for, then they can swing their d!ck into anything.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
For some reason Clinton's didn't bother me, in fact I thought it was great, cigars & keeping Hilary quiet he was a master politician. The others with the bathroom stalls, fags going after young boy pages make me sick. Then our senator Vitter with his BS GOP homevalues speeches while he's got a skanky call girl mistress just shows what a scondrel he really is. Now I'm no saint myself, but when they start taking 100.000$ bribes and putting the money in there Freezer's, well that senator's gone for a long time now. Course Jefferson's a plain idiot & I'm sure there are more thieves on capital hill that we would care to know. Wonder what would happen if you cleaned the whole place out & replaced with middle class working people, carpenters, nurses, cab drivers, waitreses, strippers, bartenders, painters, auto workers,truck drivers,clerks & such and let them run it for a while. Never happen, but would we better or worse off? AH WELL IT IS WHAT IT IS

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wonder what would happen if you cleaned the whole place out & replaced with middle class working people, carpenters, nurses, cab drivers, waitreses, strippers, bartenders, painters, auto workers,truck drivers,clerks & such and let them run it for a while. Never happen, but would we better or worse off? AH WELL IT IS WHAT IT IS
Not a bad idea. Most of the legislators are lawyers so "real" people might be refreshing.

The bottom line is that things will remain the same whether Republicans or Democrats are in power. Their differences are only measured in small degrees. We have seen what "change" the rhetoric has given us.

Vote in some Libertarians and then see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
A Democracy is the worst form of government imaginable, except for all the other alternatives. :D
And another from Churchill; "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
Personally, I think we need a representative democracy. I honestly believe that most people are too busy, too selfish, too stupid, or some combination of the three, to trust with legislation or leadership. I think we need to elect people who seem to be competent enough to lead, and to make, enforce, and interpret our laws.

I just don't favor lifetime representation. I really do think it would be healthier to boot congressmen after eight years, just like presidents. It would probably be best to limit compensation and pension to congressmen as well, or simply turn pay and benefit decisions for congressmen over to the voting public, rather than Congress.

Some congressmen do excellent jobs. There is no reason they cannot educate and assist new congressmen, after their own term is up...but I am sick of a small handful of familiar faces from two or three states consistently ordering around the rest of a country which does not seem to agree with them.

I shouldn't have to wait for Nancy Pelosi to develop cancer, just so she'll leave Congress...eight years, and then she has to get a real job.

Really not sure at what point people decided the President was the one holding the reins and started ignoring Congress...but I think it's time we took a long, hard look at limiting Congressional terms in the same way we limited Presidential terms, for the same reason...and for that matter, I wonder if there isn't a need for a more obvious check & balance of SCOTUS power, to minimize the effect of "activist judges" in our current era of emotion, empathy, retribution, and general lack of reason.

-Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts