7,925 Posts
Fothermucker that looks tempting!

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow. That's amazing looking. Intercooled, too.

$10000 is pretty pricey, though.

Wonder why they're making a kit for out of production vehicles/engines that aren't particularly popular with enthusiasts...?

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's a lot of money to make dick for power. Can't run any more than 5-6 pounds. That's why it only put down 330. With the pincle dick rods that are in the 2uz. Its a terrible platform for boost applications.

I make more power full Bolton and a small shot. With a way better power curve

But if you won't boost go turbo. Log style revers manifold you would be 2500 into a compliete turbo build. Plenty of room under the hood no need for tubular manifolds

·
Registered
422 Posts
Remote turbo setup would be inexpensive and easy to setup. I've thought about it some...
Tuning would be the hard part.

·
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a lot of money to make dick for power. Can't run any more than 5-6 pounds. That's why it only put down 330. With the pecil dick rods that are in the 2uz. Its a terrible platform for boost applications.

I make more power full Bolton and a small shot. With a way better power curve

But if you wan't boost go turbo. Log style revers manifold you would be 2500 into a compliete turbo build. Plenty of room under the hood no need for tubular manifolds
Whipple Superchargers run up to 20+ lbs of boost. And they are still effecient.
When this SRT supercharger kit was put at 8 psi, it creates 394 HP/341 TQ on the GS430: 4.3L engine ---- Swift Racing Technologies - Lexus GS430 Supercharger Kit
The TRD M90 Supercharger is 1.475 Liters.

I agree this would be a supercharger kit for those who have a forged motor setup.
You're correct on the stock 2uz-fe rods probably only being able to handle 5-6 psi.
BUT...that's why I made it fine with 7.5 - 8 lbs of boost on my setup.
Headers, Full exhaust system, Volant CAI, and I made 300HP/305 Ft-lbs on the dyno on my 4x4 Tundra and a rich tune.
It equates to around 410+ HP at the crank with the 24-26% 4x4 drivetrain losses and running heavy steel wheels/33's and stock gears.
I've beaten the holy H*ll out of my setup and it had been driven hard everyday for 20K miles. Only took the supercharger off to buy a spare motor that is Fully Forged. Fully Built Heads, and got 2 Ported/Polished Superchargers with the deal.
Still nice to know its out there for those who can afford it.
Its a good way to make lots of HP.

·
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remote turbo setup would be inexpensive and easy to setup. I've thought about it some...
Tuning would be the hard part.
Tuning will/would be the easy part as soon as URD-USA hurries up with the UCON-EMS !!!
The Engine Management System of his can tune the motor for you.
You put in the Air/Fuel ratios yo want.
Option to run E85 injectors/in-line E85 sensor in the fuel line to make the swap and change the Air/Fuel ratios to compensate for E85.
WiFi so Gadget can help tune the truck. You drive the vehicle and he can further tune it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Inturnals are way to much. There is really no aftermarket for the 2uz. And don't tell me Lextreme does BC they are a joke and you will never get your stuff and TTC is way to expensive.

I have known 2 people to run an STS turbo kit. 4 people run a pullied TRD charger and 2 run an under hood turbo. And they have all popped.

I love my truck. It has 220k miles on it. And it still runs like a champ. I have full Bolton's and a 100 shot. Cuts a 1.6 60 ft in 4high spraying out the hole but that is as good as its gonna get. Its a great truck and it has always been there for me. But if you won a go fast get something ells.

My Chevy friends all went and pulled a 70k mile 4.8- or 5.3 out of a truck at a junkyard for $400. Weld up a revers manifold turbo hot side for $350. Cheep $800 turbo and fuel lines. HP tuners and make 550 600 wheel on mild boost . All that for what it cost me to do full Bolton's. ..

I have friends running stock bottom end and studded 6.0 LQ4 junk yard motors putting down 900+

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
What I20 said sounds reasonable. :nod: It is always good to see other companies bring our products for these trucks until we see the price tag.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cams for a 2uz. $1700 gains 25-35 if lucky
Cam for. LS $450 gains 50-100+ depending on profile

Heads for 2uz. Around 3k. Gains. Not **** if you didn't buy those $1700 cams lol
Heads for LS you can get ported 317 truck head ready for boost for practacly nothing. Or you can spend 1500 on some really nice machined heads gains. Pretty good

Let's talk stroker kits.

LS cheep. You can get compeate rotating assemblys for $750 -1500 yea you can spend more but at least you have options. Gains. Significant.

Stroker kit for 2uz haha 4-5k. Gains. No one knows. Nobody spends the money

You can for get about intake manifolds , throttlebodys, ..ex

Im going to stop now. Its depressing lol

·
Registered
690 Posts
There is no substitute for cubic money well spent. At the age of our trucks, and the availability of high power engines in the yards, one would be money ahead to do a conversion like an LQ and drivetrain, and stuff it with goodies.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Nice to know there's a kit out there. There was one made in Australia, but importing one of those might be a pain.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Wonder if bolting a $12,000 kit to my $13,000 truck would make it worth $25,000 :beatsme:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Heh, probably not. I have to wonder what the true cost of an engine swap is, though. Besides the cost of the engine,you have to worry about electricals, fuel, motor mounts, transmission/adapter, etc. I suspect it would be easier (and maybe even more cost effective) to supercharge with this kit than to swap, say, a Toyota 5.7. While there are other engines that would be cheaper and easier to swap, I still have to wonder how much easier/cheaper it would actually be. For someone without major automotive/fabrication experience, finding someone to upgrade internals and install a supercharger must be easier than finding someone to swap an LS1 or something, right?

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can pick up an 6.0L. LQ4 out of an older gm truck for $600. And a 4L80 for about the same. Swap shouldn't be to difficult. You could make more reliable power with that untouched motor than you proly could building one of these plus. It would free up some room under the hood putting a smaller motor in also .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts