Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y'all

i'm putting on an 18watt LED license plate surround from vLEDs.

the LED license plate surround has a positive and a negative wire that i'm supposed to tap into the positive (i'm guessing the red/blue wire) and negative (i'm guessing the white/black wire) wires connected to the backup bulb in the light housing.

that's easy enough, but i'd like to mount a switch in the switch bank to the left of the steering wheel and have the lights function normally (whenever i put it in reverse) when the switch is off and then be always on when the switch is on.

i don't know much about switches. will a three pronged SPDT switch work in this instance or do i need another kind? what wires would i need to solder to what prongs on the switch? a simple wiring diagram would be EXTREMELY helpful if anybody has the capability and know how to make one.

also, since it's 18W do i need a certain rating on the switch? will 18 guage wiring be sufficient?

thanks for all advice. i wanna get this right the first time and not just go in there and try things until i get it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I wanna do this as well but i first have to get a new back up cam, i have one thats integrated to the license plate.

Yes what u need is a three way switch. One would be connected to ur back up lights and another to a constant source of light, so that they can opperate like the in cab and cargo lights. (on when doors are open, off when closed then independently on or off)

Let me see if i can find a diagram...

·
Registered
797 Posts
ok here u go

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanna do this as well but i first have to get a new back up cam, i have one thats integrated to the license plate.

Yes what u need is a three way switch. One would be connected to ur back up lights and another to a constant source of light, so that they can opperate like the in cab and cargo lights. (on when doors are open, off when closed then independently on or off)

Let me see if i can find a diagram...
thanks a bunch for your replies.

i found a way to do it with a two way SPDT switch on another forum. that way when the switch is off the LED lights will turn on only when in reverse and when the switch is on they'll always be on as long as the ignition is on.

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/ge...question-anytime-backup-light.html#post100695

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I have them tied in to the reverse lights on my mother in laws RX330 and while they are not as bright as my White Night system they do a pretty good job. My only suggestion is to paint the frame with a heavy duty spray paint b/c the finish starts wearing off quick and looks like garbage :td:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts