Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well TS team, I hate to say this but I traded in my 2007 Toyota SR5 CrewMax 4x4 for a Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4. The CrewMax had approximately 80,000 miles on it and though it generally was a great truck, there were starting to be a few issues that had me concerned.

I do have the weather tech rubber floor mats (front and rear) that I will send to someone if shipping costs are paid. The are a bit stained from the nasty mud we have around here, but, I can post pictures if any one is interested. I just hate to throw things away if they can be of use to someone.

Also, I have a set of used 18" SR5 rims (maybe 25,000 miles on them) from a 2007 CrewMax that look like they are in pretty good shape, that I was going to install on mine when the tires needed replaced, as mine had rock chips on them from all the gravel roads I travel on. I will sell these for the cost of breaking off the tires and getting the tpms sensors that I promised a friend and shipping charges and any supplies I might need to buy. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Good luck! Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a ' not 2 clever ' decision by you. haha

I can tell you one thing though; ( and i thought i'd never say this ) i will be looking to jump ship if Toyota doesn't pull their heads out of their azzes. This air pump situation has got me concerned the most; and to think the highest rated car company ( in my eyes anyway ) could have the issues they do is beyond me. The ' made in the USA- find the cheapest supplier ' path they've chosen is most certainly NOT doing them any justice whatsoever.

I just saw on the news tonight; an older lady in a 06 Rav-4 'claimed' her accelerator stuck and she plowed thru 40' of fencing at a school. This was in our area; and while i have my serious doubts about the sticky pedal situation, it's still going to hurt Toyota pretty bad going into the future.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Good luck Dave. Give us a pic of the new Ram.
Look over at Arthur's (Arthur still welcome; in Off Topic) thread, he went with a Ram and has a couple of pix of the black one he picked up yesterday. :tu:

·
Registered
848 Posts
i will pay for the shipping on the weathertech's send me your info so i can paypal you the $

if they are black .. if they are tan i will pass them to someone else that needs them

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Well TS team, I hate to say this but I traded in my 2007 Toyota SR5 CrewMax 4x4 for a Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4. The CrewMax had approximately 80,000 miles on it and though it generally was a great truck, there were starting to be a few issues that had me concerned.
If you don't mind going more in depth. What issues were you starting to have with your Tundra? How do you like your new Ram? Ram vs Tundra pros and cons from your opinion? Congrats on the new truck BTW :)

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Dave ,
You are not alone!
I also would like to hear of the issues.
It seems this trend is a lot higher than back when the 1st gen had teething troubles.
I also am thinking of ditching my '07 DC.
Please also give us a comparison.
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
559 Posts
I will tell you this, I switched from my 07 Tundra to a Dudge. BAD IDEA!!! That thing was the biggest piece of junk I have ever driven in my life! Within 5 months of ownership, balljoints needed replacing, replaced fuel pump, FCA shot, fan clutch going bad, theromostat sticking, u-joints getting sloppy. I will never own a Dodge again, in my experience, you might as well just burn your money!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Stains on Weathertechs will come off very easy with some wheel cleaner! That works the best for me. Looks better than new after that.

Now about Dodge, would like to see some pics plus want your updates on how it compares to Tundra. Gongrats!

I would have to agree with Only Toyota for Me, that lately the quality of Toyotas is not up to their previous standards. The price is growing, the quality is falling. The biggest disappointment is the cheap plastic! Saw the new GX460 the other day, what a beauty inside and out!:tu: That is exactly what I expect from Toyota and their price tags:rolleyes:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I will take the weather techs. How much is shipping to 32807? What color are they? I need black or gray.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I'm not loyal to any brand, but I still can't help but wonder if you jumped from the frying pan into the fire...Dodge is the ONLY brand I refuse to buy outside of the Korean makes.

The Ram is a good looking truck, aside from the gauche application of Ram heads all over the vehicle. Best of luck with the reliability aspect, and brace yourself for the resale. At least you put quite a few miles on your trucks, so you probably don't care much about value retention.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
What's to be sorry about? The RAM is an awesome looking truck! I just hope you don't experience similar problems like you've been having with the Tundra.
My feeling on this is that Toyota is really getting nailed without a whole lot of evidence to back it up. Not saying your own personal experience isn't true. I've had a host of issues... mainly with the front differential; but that was fixed and aside from some installation frustration on after-market mods, the truck has been VERY good. I don't like how the plastic gets so easily scratched up and I don't like the cheaper materials inside, but even the GMC Denali wasn't much better... aside from the leather seats and trim, everything else was cheap plastic as well. So, I'm not sure I should be surprised anymore. But even THAT has some advantages... the dash is probably unlikely to split anytime soon from the sheer heat of the sun. As much as I like a softer-feel to the cover of the dash, I've seen many vehicles where the material has split because owners didn't keep the sun off of it or kept the material properly hydrated with the appropriate material conditioners.
In any case, I think the Dodge is a nice truck, so enjoy! Be sure to post some pics and let us know how it does for you! Take it easy...

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
If I jump brands, I will not be purchasing a GM or Chrysler product. Enough of my income is already going to these companies. I do agree, however, Toyota's quality has diminished.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guy's I know this was going to cause a bit of a firestorm so I will give my reasons and please this is what I was experiencing with my Toyota and I will let you know it was meticulously maintained. So, following are the reasons I traded it:

1) Dash was dropping on the passenger side. It was at about 1/2 inch and getting worse every month.
2) The dash was starting to squeak and rattle all the time and not just on the gravel roads I travel on, even on the smoothest road and you hit one minor bump there was an annoying high pitched squeak with some various rattling coming from the dash.
3) Thought the bed was loose, every time I went down a gravel roads it sound like the bed was loose and I checked all the bolts. I know the tail gate was part of the problem as it rattles.
4) Front end was starting to make the wwah wwah noise, the last time it did that the front diff and axles were replaced. Fortunately it was under warranty at that time, but is no longer under warranty and everything is on my dime.
5) I felt there was excessive rust underneath for a 3 year old vehicle. Also, the front bumper keeps getting rust spots where I have rock chips from the pea gravel they use on icy roads in the winter.
6) It started not to start at times. I read on this site it could be the vehicle security with the key (I did replace the battery), but, it has happened 4 times during the last few months. Only way it would start was to disconnect the battery cable and reconnect the it would work fine.
7) Thought I hadn't had a problem with the air pumps, it was on my mind as a possible expensive future expenditure that I don't have the money for.

Why I bought the dodge:

I looked at the Ford FX4 (my 1st choice, since they didn't take government bailout money) but the way they have their rebate set up couldn't make the numbers work. I have a monthly payment I cannot exceed and the dealer and I couldn't make the finances work.

I didn't even look at Dodge/GMC, nor did I want too.

I didn't look at the Nissan Titan, nor did I want too.

So that left Dodge. I have never owned a Dodge and never thought I would, but here are the reasons:

1) Stepson has an 2005 Ram 1500 (he bought new) and this poor truck has been abused (he is 24) it has 140,000 miles on it, it is hard core off-roaded, he tows his toy hauler trailer that should be towed with a turbo diesel all over Nevada/Utah/Idaho. This truck has few rattles, and the only thing that has been replaced is his rear diff, as the bearings went out at 80,000 miles probably due to his trailering.

2) I really like how the power of the 5.7 HEMI comes on. I think the 5 spd automatic should be a 6 spd with today's technology, but, I can live with the 5 spd.

3) It has traction control, but the rear diff is also a limited slip. I really had issues with how toyota did their rear diff. I got stuck in the mud more than once with that set-up.

4) The dodge rides nicer than my toyota. The dodge just feels more solid and planted on the road.

5) This doesn't really apply, but, the wife says it looks better and she likes to drive it as she says it doesn't feel as big as the Tundra and she likes the power and handling. I have trouble keeping her out of it.

Since it only has 400 miles on it, I am not sure of the reliability, but I can keep the everyone up to date if you don't kick me off the site.

One last thing...........If people want to talk about depreciation, my Tundra trade-in was essentially worthless. If gas goes up to $4.00 gallon like the (anal)yst are saying all gas guzzlers will be take a hit.

I will catch up with everyone that has PM's me for the parts.

Dave

·
Registered
918 Posts
I came over from a Chrysler. Had an 04 Dakota that chewed through 2 sets of ball joints and 3 sets of rotors in 75000 miles among other things. Made the decision that that company would never see a dime of my money again when they initially dragged their feet on the balljoint recall. Then they actually said to the media, without making any bones about it, that they didn't feel a recall was necessary because wheels had only fallen off trucks at slow parking lot speeds, nobody had been killed yet, and it was the customer's fault for not properly diagnosing their defective part and getting it fixed beforehand. When some owners who got tired of waiting for DC to square them away went to the press, Chrysler tried to bribe them with the free repairs they'd been previously refused to keep it out of the news. Just a dirty company that seemed to take the attitude that once they got your cash any problem is your problem, not theirs. Saving a penny was more important than making a customer happy or keeping them safe, they all but admitted it. They'd really have to develop a track record that proves a 100% about face from their old ways to get my money again.

BTW with all that I just don't get how they're ready to slam Toyota with one of the biggest financial penalties in history for something they haven't even found a proven cause for yet while the Big 3 have a documented hisotry of ignoring dangerous safety defects to save a few pennies. But let me stay off my soap box...

To each his own. Those rams are nice looking trucks, let us now how it goes.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I have a few thoughts on your response, I for one am very much like yourself in the fact that if my truck began to rattle and make abnormal noises, that crap drives me crazy and i'll go to lengths to keep my interior quiet, as for noises from the front end being that bad, I agree with you if the dealer couldn't or wouldn't fix that issue i'd be upset too... Much of customer satisfaction comes from how your dealer in your area takes care of you, their customer with the brand you bought, be it from them or Not...
Your dodge should ride better, it has 4-link rear suspension, yet won't tow as much or haul as well, but the ride should be very car like and it doesn't surprise me that your wife love to drive it more the view from the seat is different and more car like than truck like... my wife isn't fond of our Tundra either, yet that's why i bought her a Sahara Jeep...

I have a couple buddies with Dodge mega cab trucks and they both hate them except for the cummins engine,, the trucks they just can't stand. they both bought them new and the front seats have just come apart and they feel the frame of the seat through the pad material and fixes only last so long,,, they both have had issues...

Long and short of it, i wish you had gone to Ford,, yet i understand staying within your budget, although i think my Tundra is the best gas truck on the road, without question and it rides great for a truck. Maybe your luck will change with your Dodge, i'll cross my fingers and toes for you on that, I think Dodge owners need some luck..

Looking forward to hearing how well your truck endures and how your mpg compares after several thousand miles... its not easy getting mpg out of the Tundra but she will get decent milage.
My Tundra :first:
Ford Truck :second:
All other non-gov. owned trucks:third:

Then the rest.... hahaha :amen:

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I had a Dodge.... Once. Actully Overall it serviced well. 140k on the '97 I traded for the Tundra. Service that rear end! Enjoy and Good luck with it.

WTH?, I just got booted off a Dodge forum for trying to sell a box of service tools, filters and manuals ???

·
Registered
101 Posts
well, I do understand your reasoning. I just hope that I don't run into any of those problems cause I sold my Dodge Ram 1500 to get this truck, so that I can use it as my truck that would last for many many years (as I had a Taco that gave me a good 110k miles out of it).

Also, I was hoping that I could take those WEATHERTECHS off of your hands if they are tan...I know that all of the other guys mentioned black or grey, so just in case.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What air pump situation??

good luck! Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a ' not 2 clever ' decision by you. Haha

i can tell you one thing though; ( and i thought i'd never say this ) i will be looking to jump ship if toyota doesn't pull their heads out of their azzes. This air pump situation has got me concerned the most; and to think the highest rated car company ( in my eyes anyway ) could have the issues they do is beyond me. The ' made in the usa- find the cheapest supplier ' path they've chosen is most certainly not doing them any justice whatsoever.

I just saw on the news tonight; an older lady in a 06 rav-4 'claimed' her accelerator stuck and she plowed thru 40' of fencing at a school. This was in our area; and while i have my serious doubts about the sticky pedal situation, it's still going to hurt toyota pretty bad going into the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Love the Tundra, but I agree on the rust issue for sure. Way too much rust on my 07'. I'll be doing some corrosion prevention this summer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts