Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock 16x7 alloys on my 05dc4x4 and would like to switch out to a 17" size just because they seem to look a little better. I was planning to change out the wheels anyway so I'm just wondering if there are any issues switching to the 17 from a 16? I would think as long as the bolt pattern matches it should be fine. Does anyone know of any other problems I might encounter?

From what I've read here at TS, it seems 3 5/8 - 4" is the preferred backspacing for new wheels on my truck, anything over 4 will likely need wheel adapters is that also true? The wheels I like seem to only come with a 4.5" backspace.

Thanks!!

Paul

·
Registered
469 Posts
Stock backspacing is 4.5". If you get wider tires or plan to lift your truck then you might want to get a smaller backspacing, but if not, then the 4.5" backspacing will work fine.:tu:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock backspacing is 4.5". If you get wider tires or plan to lift your truck then you might want to get a smaller backspacing, but if not, then the 4.5" backspacing will work fine.:tu:
I was looking to bump up to 285/70/17 from a 265/70/16. I've read a couple posts here that say they have no rubbing w/285/70/17 on 4.5 BS but I was looking for a few more opinions:cool:

I know I'll need a lift and diff drop and maybe cv boots but I'm hoping to avoid wheel adapters as well

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have 17" Centerlines that are made for Tundras with 265's and no rub. I think you might get a little frame rub with the 285's on a full lock turn. Best thing to do is find a good tire shop and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
NO prob lem is the bolt holes fit, as toyota 17 and 16 are the same diameter ov erall due to the 70 aspecgt vs the 65 aspect same width I noticed this in my 02 with 265 70 16 vs my o4 with 265 65 17 both measured the same overall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts