Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'02 Tundra SR5 v8 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Tundra SR5 V8 with a no start issue.

Truck sat for a couple months due to leaky rear differential cover.. Went to start it to move onto car trailer to get to a welder. Started fine but began to misfire and loose power quickly but was able to drive it up the trailer ramps. Welder brings back. Go to start it and back off trailer ramps. Starts but is misfiring and quickly stalls out while backing off ramps. No idea how moving it went for welder at the shop.

Current symptoms. Truck does not start. It will crank all day till the battery is dead but wont fire up. Pumping gas pedal while cranking engine seems to help some...can hear some cylinders sputter when ignition is turned to ‘run’ and engine is cranking but doesn’t actually fire up. CIL codes were for multiple misfire, misfires on both odd and even cylinders and a P1305 for cylinder #2. Also, can hear fuel pump running when I have key in ‘start’ position (as it should) but it never stops running. It just keeps humming until I turn the key back.

Thing I’ve done.

Checked fuel pressure. Shows no pressure when key is turned to “start” position (so while I'm hearing the fuel pump humming and not stopping, there is no pressure showing on gauge.) Fuel pressure jumps to specs when key is turned to ‘run’ and engine is cranking. Fuel pressure holds to specs 5 and 20 minutes after. Fuel definitely reaching banjo bolt. Replaced fuel filter.

Checked F/P relay as well as EFI and C/OPN relays. F/P relay, EFI and C/OPN all pass bench test. F/P relay has significant crack. Replaced cracked F/P relay. Truck started and ran good for about 3 seconds before sputtering and stalling out.

Checked F/P relay circuit, EFI circuit and C/OPN circuit. EFI and C/OPN circuits seem fine but F/P relay circuit might not be fine. 2 grounds to fuel pump are good but no power coming from ECM when key is off or when its in ‘start’ position.

Pulled Ignition coils. Decided at least half were questionable or worse. Replaced entire set. Pulled out a dirty MAF sensor and cleaned it with MAF cleaner. Sounds a little closer to turning over but effectively no change.

No smell of fuel in or around engine. Battery is charged and resting at about 12.5. Have also tried "resetting" the computer but no success.

I’m wondering if its maybe a bad ECM but was hoping to hear some other ideas before tearing apart the glove box.

Thanks!

·
Registered
'02 Tundra SR5 v8 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I forgot to mention that the first thing I did when it was back from the welder was drain the old gas out. It was cloudy/bad. I put in a 2 or 3 fresh gallons along with some seafoam and the truck fired up. It ran at idle for a few minutes before the CIL started going off (misfire codes and a P1305) and then stalled out. After that is when I started checking fuel pressure, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts