Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 Tundra, and i was thinking about going to Syntectic but i dont know if i should, I heard their are chancing of getting oils leaks. I love Syntectic probally the best thing made by man :) but i dont know if other 01 tundra have switch to Syntectic without getting oil leaks. have 75k on the truck and want to make it last for about 400k.

If so and you guys do say switch to Syntectic, do i need to flush my system to put Syntectic in what are the steps.

Whats a good Syntectic oil type?

Sorry for asking so many question it used to be my dads truck and he past away and i just want to keep the truck to rember him

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I don't know why switching to synthetic would cause oil leaks. I've been running Mobil 1 Synthetic in my Tundra and my wife's Infiniti G35 since day one, and if the good Lord's willing, neither one of these engines will ever see conventional motor oil. For me, it's a peace of mind thing, but I do know that synthetic is better. However, changing your oil at regular intervals (every 3-5k) is by far the most important thing. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I own a 2001 Tundra, and i was thinking about going to Syntectic but i dont know if i should, I heard their are chancing of getting oils leaks. I love Syntectic probally the best thing made by man :) but i dont know if other 01 tundra have switch to Syntectic without getting oil leaks. have 75k on the truck and want to make it last for about 400k.

If so and you guys do say switch to Syntectic, do i need to flush my system to put Syntectic in what are the steps.

Whats a good Syntectic oil type?

Sorry for asking so many question it used to be my dads truck and he past away and i just want to keep the truck to rember him

Thanks!
I switched to Mobil 1 at 90K and have not had any leaks whatsoever. That synthetic causes oil leaks is in my opinion a myth. Furthermore I switched my wife's '94 Lexus over to Mobil 1 at 120K with no ill effects. I also use Mobil 1 atf in all my vehicles.
Engine is actually quieter on startup and seems to run smoother. The smoothness aspect is not scientifically quantifiable but rather seat of the pants impression. Also went from 3K changes with dino oil to 5K with the Mobil 1. I have continued to use the Toyota filter and do my own oil changes.
I like Mobil 1 because the availability...WalMart, Costco, AutoZone etc. Amsoil is another choice but availability is a problem, because you have to deal with a local distributor who does not always return your calls. Redline, Royal Purple, the list goes on. All of the afforementioned products are reputable as far as I know so the choice is yours. Bobistheoilguy has some good analytical information on synthetics if you're interested.
Like I said before when I get ready to change my oil I prefer to purchase at a local retail business rather than having to wait on an order to come in. I inquired about Amsoil and got an envelope full of literature with order forms and an invitation to become a dealer, which did not appeal to me. If Amsoil were available at retail businesses rather than having to deal with an "exclusive dealer" I probably would be using it instead of Mobil 1.
If you decide to go synthetic you won't regret it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the oil leak thing is also a myth. Penzoil Platinum gets a lot of good reviews, and is reasonably priced (although only a few dollars cheaper than Mobil 1). Another great forum to check is "bobistheoilguy.com". It will answer any and all of your oil/filter questions.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Just don't put synthetic in the rear diff of your truck. The 2000-2002 Tundras didn't like synthetic in the rear; the seals can leak. Although if you put new seals in your set.

Every other part of your truck will love synthetic :tu: I've been using Mobil 1 for 35,000 miles and I'm at 65,000 now and I have had no issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I put synthetic in my 01 with almost 80,000 miles last oil change. Been 2,500 miles and no leaks. Put it in and don't worry about it. :tu:

·
Registered
15 Posts
From what I remember reading awhile back about synthetic oils is that they break down any accumulated sludge in the engine. That sludge is what is plugging any leaks that the gaskets may have.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to go for royal purple for my oil. But just got 1 more question since i am changing from the reg oil to synctectic should i flush it or change it after so many miles?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I am going to go for royal purple for my oil. But just got 1 more question since i am changing from the reg oil to synctectic should i flush it or change it after so many miles?

Thanks Guys
Just change it as you normally would. There's nothing special to it :tu:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts