Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I average driving about 1100 miles per month. Don't really know how many miles or months one should go between oil changes using synthetic. I have been changing every 4 months. When do you recommend changing at 1100 miles per month? Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
I change mine about every 7500 miles, using Valvoline Synpower or Penzoil Platinum and wix filters. I don't have any oil results from my truck, but over on bobistheoilguy.com, tests show that our 4.7s are some of the lowest wearing engines you can buy. Others have proven they can go farther on full syn, but I figure 7500 is safe.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me 7500 would be around 7 months. Would that be safe? How long between changes if mileage is fairly low?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've had my oil tested at 9K and it still had life in it so now i change it at 10K. I run Mobil 1 w/napa gold filters. Go by mileage, not time.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I run mobil 1 5w-30 extended service and a baldwin high capacity filter. This is the first change that I will run 7.5k on as I've always changed at 5k previously. You will be fine with synthetic if you go by mileage and not time.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I go 5K on mine and i suppose it could go further but keeping the engine clean is the name of the game, some say 7500 miles but i do not put that many miles on my truck and i also change the Mobil 1 Oil filter at 5K. Never run any oil sample test and why should i, it does not stay in long enough to wear or collect too many contaminants! I do not run the Extended Mobil 1 Syn i only run the 5W30 regular Synth!

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
I go 5K on mine and i suppose it could go further but keeping the engine clean is the name of the game...
I'd argue that keeping the metal components properly lubricated (and thus cooler) is the primary duty of a motor oil. The fact that it is designed to suspend contaminants and not suffer catastrophic breakdown over extended miles is a result of years of chemical engineering development.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've had my oil tested at 9K and it still had life in it so now i change it at 10K. I run Mobil 1 w/napa gold filters. Go by mileage, not time.
This is exactly what happened to me. Tested the oil (Pennzoil Platinum) at 9k, and it was good so it's 10k and a new filter (Purolator Pure One). As an asterisk, if you don't drive 10k in a year, I'd do it yearly.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
If you are worried then go 6 months or 7k and send a oil sample into Blackstone labs.
Blackstone Labs
I second Blackstone Labs. They'll tell you how much life you have left in your oil
and as an added bonus will let you know if there are any potential problems and
wear on your engine.

I also agree with the mileage vs. time theory that has been mentioned. I'd go
with what you're comfortable going mileage wise and get the analysis done,
then you can adjust from there.

There was a thread by bamafire titled "For those wondering about oil breakdown
in time, not miles" which you should check out. He drives about 5K miles a year.
Blackstone told him he could go 18 months between oil changes and maybe
even two years if he felt comfortable. I'd link to it if I knew how, but I'm not very
computer savvy :D.

John

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've been using Mobil1 0w30, OEM filter and changing at every 5,000 miles.

I'll still be changing at every 5,000 miles as my truck is now my dedicated towing vehicle and winter beater as I drive the Corvette every chance I get. My truck should last a long time as it doesn't get the miles on it it used to.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
I change mine at 5k intervals. Mobil 1 and Toyota filter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I change every 3k to 4k using Mobil-1 5w30. I don't drive much either (I only have 74,000 miles on my 2001). I know it can probably go longer between changes, but I get a better piece of mind changing it at 3-4k.

Also, I have been using different filters (OEM, K&N, and Mobil-1) I can't tell the difference between them really, only the K&N filter has a slight difference in that I operate with slightly lower oil pressure under load and idle.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'd argue that keeping the metal components properly lubricated (and thus cooler) is the primary duty of a motor oil. The fact that it is designed to suspend contaminants and not suffer catastrophic breakdown over extended miles is a result of years of chemical engineering development.
Most Auto Manufacturers recommend when their oil should be changed and Toyota told me even with Synthetic applications that they would not warranty an engine that went more than 5K miles on a change cycle. I agree viscosity is important and keeping the engine cool is important but the longer you leave engine oil in a combustion engine the more soot/coke will accumulate which gets circulated inside and causes wear on all internal components and once the filter fills up from those that never change their filters as mentioned that is when severe damage can happen! To properly lubricate an engine i hope you would do it with clean oil instead of aftermarket additives which all oil manufacturers will claim is not needed in their oil and they claim it causes their oil packages to break down and not perform as they have formulated them to perform. Mobil Oil Engineer told me of this issue with adding aftermarket additives and what they will do to quality oil and the need to use them which they said there was no need because their oil was all your engine needed. Advancements in oil quality have increased cycles which could be a bad thing and one thing that has not changed is operation of an internal combustion engine and the process of combustion has not changed and will always cause coke and soot deposits regardless of whose oil is inside keeping it cool! 5K is probably way too early but i plan on keeping my Tundra till it drops and can afford to change at these interval regardless if it's an early change. I spent around 15 years on a grease rack changing oil back in the 60's and 70's and i remember when Mobil could not keep their oil in the engine due to leaks and problems with seals made in that era. Also being a retired aircraft mechanic i somewhat understand the concept of engines and their proper lubrication and the properties of lubrication fairly well. We would run SOAP & JOAP samples when we would have reasons to do so which was no fun. It would spot issues with oil breakdown and component break downs!

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Laboratory Comparison
Just a little feedback on Labs that had a few interesting findings but nothing too unusual, but as mentioned i would not waste my time and money since i cange on an accelerated schedule and the Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil i use has the Zinc addative package in it that was put back in it a while back! if i were trying to stretch oil change cycles or filter changes i suppose testing the oil would be more of a concern to me!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I agree viscosity is important and keeping the engine cool is important but the longer you leave engine oil in a combustion engine the more soot/coke will accumulate which gets circulated inside and causes wear on all internal components and once the filter fills up from those that never change their filters as mentioned that is when severe damage can happen!

you didn't read the entire post...

did you? :confused::confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts