Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 4.7L SR5 with 157,000 miles and I’m thinking of switching to synthetic oil. Any recommendations before I do my oil change? I mainly want to know if synthetic oil will help or harm my truck having high miles on it. Also if it will help, witch synthetic oil would be the best to use.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. I think I got my answer as well as learn a lot on how to search info before posting a question. lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do thanks. by the way Remmy, thanks for explain the search options. I think that will help me in the future.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not going to hurt anything by switching. In my diesel I run 15w40 regular in the summer and 5w40 synthetic in the winter. Has 385k km on it and is still taking a beating.

I run Mobil 1 in my Tundra.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info lightforce, after reading some threads Mobil 1 keeps coming up as one of the best ones to use.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I've run mobil 1 since my first oil change as I always do on my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
dude. why are you limiting yourself? hit up google and read through the hundred of thousands of opinions people have on the subject. surely you don't want to base your decision on what to put in your truck based on a dozen or two opinions here. there are scientists and everything out there that are WAY more knowledgeable on the subject than me or anyone here on TS. do yourself a favor, broaden your horizons and do as much research as you can on the subject before making your choice of what oil to go with. if you don't, you may just get a bunch of biased opinions from those that buy in the marketing hype from the manufactures that are in business to do nothing else to make a profit and maximize shareholder wealth.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I initially switched to Mobil 1 5W30. I now use Mobil 1 0W30. I've had great results using both. Keep in mind that you should also use a good quality filter, no matter what type of oil you use. I currently use the Toyota filters for my truck. I bought a case of them a few years back and still have quite a few left so I'm still using those.

John

PS After you master the search function, figure out how to use spellcheck :D LOL

·
Registered
819 Posts
I initially switched to Mobil 1 5W30. I now use Mobil 1 0W30. I've had great results using both. Keep in mind that you should also use a good quality filter, no matter what type of oil you use. I currently use the Toyota filters for my truck. I bought a case of them a few years back and still have quite a few left so I'm still using those.

John

PS After you master the search function, figure out how to use spellcheck :D LOL
Same here, I used to use M1 5w30 and when 0w30 came out, I switched to it. Same with the Toyota/OEM oil filters kerryman71. I got a case a while back and still have a bunch left.

I got 3 cases of Fram Full Synthetic 5W30 for a great price so I'm now running it and will be for a while now. From now on, I'll be buying the cheapest full synthetic I can as I'm not picky.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
As long as your oil carries the proper sae rating for your application you'll be fine no matter the brand.

·
Registered
819 Posts
As long as your oil carries the proper sae rating for your application you'll be fine no matter the brand.
This is so true. Any oil nowadays will work just fine. Unless one is racing the truck on a banked oval in 3rd gear for 500 continuous miles at 5,000 rpm, our 4.7L motors are easy on oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been running castro since day one (i love its scent). just recently i tried out the synthetic castro edge syntec. Major differences. I have like 250k and never heard that engine so quite. i put in about 5.6 quarts. cost about 40-50 bucks with filter. (always a fram).

when i change my oil ill drain all the oil then use that .4 from previous oil change and run it thru the engine, just to clean out ne deposits if any.
some engine thing i did myself over the years.
replace 4 coils
replace starter (2 times)
replace 5 o2 sensor
Flush radiator and rear axle fuild and tranny fuild once around 150k
timing belt once at 170k
changed out 3 times spark plugs
on 3rd set of breaks
did everything myself and still runs like a dream.
on my 3rd set of tires.

2000 limited tundra.

this last time i didnt change my oil till about 8k miles. on regular castro. my tundra is a beast !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts