Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Taco Owners who are former Tundra owners...

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  flafos 
#1 ·
To all of you who bought a Tacoma when you had a Tundra. or any other full size PU,

Why?

and

Are you happy with your decision?

:)

#2 ·
Just sold my 01 tundra trd and bought a 05 tacoma trd sport and so far ill never look back! Seems quicker, rides on the highway smoother, and the gas mileage is WAY better. Have yet to see if the tacoma is a reliable as my tundra but all that ive heard it will be. I'm an access cab owner, so the only thing I lost was the bench seat in my tundra to the little flip down seats in tacoma, but everything else is perfect! If its something your thinking about and dont mind losing a little tow capacity, and very little hp I'd say go for it.

#3 ·
Cool! Thanks!

Yes going from small to big is one thing, but going from big to small is another.

No snowplowing using a truck anymore for me. I got an ATV for that now, my only concern would be loading the ATV into the bed. That might be tight.

Yes the Tacomas are a lot bigger nowadays, as are the Tundras, which is why I'm considering a Tacoma. Seems like all trucks got a lot bigger (and more expensive) in recent years for some reason.

Thanks, man! Now I have something to think about.

#4 ·
Just had insurance take my 00' Tundra due to major hail damage..
Had a laundry-list of mods to that truck(See post history.. LOL)
That truck would haul-ass. and get average 21-23 MPG on open-freeway, and about 19-20 towing 4500lbs..(See previous mods)
Loved the truck, but I took the insurance money, and ran.

The Tacoma?
LOVE this truck!
Haven't had a stick shift in about 4 years, so, very nice/fun going back to it. So far my city MPG is about 17, and I'm not driving it like a granny either.
Tundra was an access cab, Tacoma is a double cab, loving the extra space inside the truck. Only qualm on space is the bed, as I'm a musician who plays shows quite often, loading all the same gear is going to take a little more brain power.. haha

You really just need to look at what your priorities are. My Tundra was used for work, and hauling heavy loads. I no longer need a truck like that. Plus, I'm planning on kids in the (near-ish) future, so I needed something with more interior space. The crazy-good crash ratings are also very nice.

#5 ·
Ah OK got it. Family = big back seat. Makes sense. Thanks!

#7 ·
Just put my '00 Tundra SR5, 4WD, V6, 5SP on the disabled list due to poor running issues. Issues that would cost big bucks to have a real live mechanic fix and at the age of the vehicle I can't justify the cost. I all ready had turned it into a flatbed due to rust issues. Yesterday I picked up an '08 Taco Quad Cab TRD SR5 4WD V6 Auto in exceptional condition and at a very good price. I have noticed that there is a little less room in the drivers seat but some of the other features make up for that. Plenty of power since it has the newer V6, only thing I miss is the 5SP manual, just have to get used to being shiftless! The short box is a drawback but since I no longer work construction and don't have any power toys to carry around I don't see that as a big problem, still big enough to hold the groceries.

#8 ·
Almost went back to Tundra, had an 1999 that ran for 255K and the rear end dynamited...so, thought about getting another one, maybe an 05, saw loads of them with decent miles. However, considering they have been superseded by the current and much bigger 5.7L Tundras, I could not bring myself to that level of commitment (financially). My parents burned through two Tacoma's, never any issues, and I loved driving them whenever I was in town. Consequently, when I spotted a 2009 taco 4door-4x4 SR5 with 34,000 miles on it, in racer-blue even, I jumped on it! Although I MIGHT spring for the big Tundra sometime in the future, I will most likely spend the money on converting my base model into a sleeper TRD. With that said, I have also ride big Enduro bikes, and my BMW F800GS is my principal transportation through the better months of the year, I'll be spending more time on it, than in the Taco...so, the 34K won't increase too fast. Giving the choice, I would own both Taco and a Tundra, but never drive either that much:)...I say, Taco is primarily the best truck for me...

#9 ·
I had an '06 Tundra and due to a DIVORCE traded it for a 2007 Sequoia to haul kids around instead of a boat. 145,000 miles later and it's time for a new vehicle. I have 2015 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport coming in before the end of the month. I'm really looking forward to a little smaller vehicle but a whole lot more fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.