Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Eric and I am looking at buying a new Tacoma or a FJ. My concerns before buying. I want to be able to tow and move my belongings. I do anticipate needing it to cross uneven terrain, however I wouldn't say I NEEED off-roading capabillities. This would be my first truck purchase and I wanted to make an informed decision.
Neeeds
- be able to tow my stuff, so anything that makes this easier/faster/more controlled is better... to that end is a 4x4 better at towing?
- serve as a part time commuter (I have a motorcycle that I will be riding when the weather is nice)
- I would like to buy an FJ (but they take premium fuel and I am not willing to pay for 91 octane on a regular basis)
- If I buy a 4x2 will I later have buyers remourse? And dump more money on a 4x4 in the future?

I appreciate your help.
Newb truck buyer.

Eric

·
Registered
151 Posts
91 octane is the recomened fuel for all 2005+ 4.0L 1GR-FE engine. I run it, but others run regular with no problems.

4x2 would have a slight adv at towing/carrying (Gross Combined Weight Rating) more weight vs a 4x4. For towing the longer the wheelbase of your truck the better (to a limit).

ie GCWR 4x2 7500 GCWR 4x4 7000

tow ammount is the same 3500.

I have a 4x4 might use 4x4 10% of the time. I like having the option there if need be. Some of the ranges we go to a 4x4 just makes it easier. You can still get there with 4x2 you just throw more rock.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi Eric,

hows Ft Rucker?

Since you are looking at the FJ Cruiser I imagine youd consider the double cab, maybe the access cab, Tacoma. BTW, the Toyota site has all the specs on each model. A AC 4x4 Tacoma has more towing weight then the 4x2, since the 4x2 is not offered with the towing package. Of course you could probably go buy a aftermarket kit (which is typically 5000 for the Tacoma) but you have to be careful of the trailer pushing the lighter truck.

The Double Cab, 4x4 or PreRunner, is available with the tow package so its good for 6500 lbs. Without the tow package your tow cap is 3500 with the bumper hitch. Again, its 5000 with most of the aftermarket hitch kits.

I run 89 in my truck without any problems. The only time I have ran 91 was when I was towing a uhaul fully loaded from Albuquerque to Charlotte NC, and up here to Vermont. And I ran it for goofing around before the gas prices sky rocketed about 1.5 years ago.

Deciding between the 4x4 and 4x2 is a hard one if you arent sure off the bat. It was one of the things I knew I wanted when I got into my first truck, which was a '04 Tacoma Extended Cab, which ended up being too small for me. Great truck though. If you have any plans (Army plans...) to go someplace where it gets a lot of snow it might be nice to have. Before getting into trucks I was pretty much into Mustangs and MR2s, I just got tired of not being able to drive where I wanted to. I want to get to less travelled roads for photography, mountain biking and whatever else. Any truck, other then a slammed POS, goes off road better then a sports car whether its 4x2 or not.

A 4x4 will eat more gas, just because it has more weight to lug around, and to spin. And the up front cost is going to be higher, along with insurance. If you dont have any plans on taking it off road, or driving through snow all the time, a 4x2 would probably be the better option. My dad owned mostly 4x2's here in Vermont and swears he has no more problems getting around with them compared to 4x4's, with a box of sand for weight in the rear.

HTH...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I want to thank Snakeii and Gregory_K for your expertise... because I don't know anything about trucks. I have a few more questions I hope I can get some help with.

So from your details and my personal needs (where I get stationed is the needs of the army and so I don't really have a choice... I could go to someplace full of snow like Ft. Drum or Alaska.) I am leaning towards a 4x2.

- 4dr Access cab V6 pre-runner $ 18,197
I read somewhere that a Limited slip differential, partly fills the role of 4wd.

- SR5 package (its the cheapest convience package and the off road package on a 4x2 doesn't make any sense, however you need a convience package to get TO and LD) $1,788

- LD Limited slip differential. $322

- TO Tow package $ 520 (I don't know what class tow hitch it is)
(all prices are invoice prices so I have to accept I am probably going to pay more)

My hope is that will give me the best "bang for the buck" a working machine that can negotiate obsticals and not run $30,000 dollars.

Speaking of bad deals
In alabama there is a SET (South East Toyota) fee assigned to all cars purchased here, and I can't find an invoice price on SET fees. I understand that it varys from car to car and from dealership to dealership but... There are some shady toyota dealers near me and I don't want to overpay for something ridiculous like this.

Another question, The truck I was looking at had some kind of special sprayed truck bed? (I haven't seen this options outside of the dealership) and it has the vin etched in the glass? And they want me to pay an extra 700 dollars. I would assume this to be a bad deal, becuase Toyota talks about their new composite rust proof bed.... so whats with this? And if its rust proof I am assuming there is no need to Rhino-ize the bed. (I think thats the name for the aftermarket truck bed liner)

Lastly and thanks for your patience.
Now that I have an idea of the truck I want... I am sure there are not any 07's left that are configured how I would like. If this is true how would you go about getting a vehicle like this? Wait for 08? (can you special order a truck you want?) Pay a little more and get features you don't want on an 07? (although I wouldn't cry if I got a 4x4 truck... I just might not like the price tag)

Sincerly
Eric:ts:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Only reason to coat the bed would be for slip. The plastic bed anything you put in there will slid around. I found a simple toyota bed mat fixes this problem 100%.

Yeah a 4x2 w/ LSD rear can handel just as well as a 4x4 in snow. It is what is under the hat not the hood when it comes to driving in non normal conditions.

the factory TO would be a class IV (4) hitich 2" square frame mounted. Aftermarkets are the same, but only class III (3).

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
My 4.0 V-6 Tacoma has never had a drop of anything but 87 octane and it runs fine - no knocks and plenty of power, even when towing. It amazes me that so many people still think this engine "requires" premium fuel. Yes, you might get a little bit more power with 91 octane, but - IT IS NOT REQUIRED.

I made the same decision of a truck versus an SUV when I was looking at my Tacoma. I think it is a hard call and depends on whether you truly need an open truck bed or can get most of your stuff inside an SUV. You can always tow the large or nasty stuff in a trailer - so that is another option.

Either way you would be getting a great vehicle - let us know what you decide.

Jim

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My 4.0 V-6 Tacoma has never had a drop of anything but 87 octane and it runs fine - no knocks and plenty of power, even when towing. It amazes me that so many people still think this engine "requires" premium fuel. Yes, you might get a little bit more power with 91 octane, but - IT IS NOT REQUIRED.

I made the same decision of a truck versus an SUV when I was looking at my Tacoma. I think it is a hard call and depends on whether you truly need an open truck bed or can get most of your stuff inside an SUV. You can always tow the large or nasty stuff in a trailer - so that is another option.

Either way you would be getting a great vehicle - let us know what you decide.

Jim

Same here. Originally I wanted a 4Runner but then started thinking in order to put the bikes inside I would lose the rear seats. The bikes would be completely safe. I bought the 04 Tacoma thinking I was going to install a cap on it, then decided the extended cab was too small. Bought the 05 DC but I find the bed too short to put the bikes in under a cap without having to pull the aero bars off or dropping the seats, etc. I look at the bed as a big trunk that I can use for bigger things if/when needed. I love the set up I have now, only drawback are the bikes are still out in the open and in the elements.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, My name is Eric and I am looking at buying a new Tacoma or a FJ. My concerns before buying. I want to be able to tow and move my belongings. I do anticipate needing it to cross uneven terrain, however I wouldn't say I NEEED off-roading capabillities. This would be my first truck purchase and I wanted to make an informed decision.
Neeeds
- be able to tow my stuff, so anything that makes this easier/faster/more controlled is better... to that end is a 4x4 better at towing?
It'd be a bit better at draging boats up slipery launch ramps, but for normal actual towing you won't see much of a difference, and you'll probably never tow in 4wd (unless you're draging a boat up a wet launch ramp).

- serve as a part time commuter (I have a motorcycle that I will be riding when the weather is nice)
I think the 4wd package adds around 400lbs of extra wieght. If this a commuter you'll be paying with gas to move that wieght on a daily basis.

- I would like to buy an FJ (but they take premium fuel and I am not willing to pay for 91 octane on a regular basis)
Double check the specs on that. Alot of people misread the specs on the V6 engine.... I think it says 87 Octane (91 RON Octane) or something like that. The first number is the North American system of measurement, and the second is the European system of measurement. So, if you're in North America you only need 87.

- If I buy a 4x2 will I later have buyers remourse? And dump more money on a 4x4 in the future?
Only time will answer that question. I know people that've bought 4x4s thinking it'd help them out in the snow then later regretted it because they had to pay to maintain something they never used.

So from your details and my personal needs (where I get stationed is the needs of the army and so I don't really have a choice... I could go to someplace full of snow like Ft. Drum or Alaska.) I am leaning towards a 4x2.
Ft Drum doesn't have alot of snow. I lived on a base just north of them for years and I drove a 2wd Chevy 1/2 ton. Snow is nothing snow tires and a few sandbags in the back can't solve.

- 4dr Access cab V6 pre-runner $ 18,197
I read somewhere that a Limited slip differential, partly fills the role of 4wd.
Limited-Slip prevents having one tire freely spinning. People like them in winter for that reason since it'll keep you from getting stuck on a small patch of ice.

- TO Tow package $ 520 (I don't know what class tow hitch it is)
(all prices are invoice prices so I have to accept I am probably going to pay more)
Get the tow package, even if only for resale value and particularily if you're buying an automatic. It'll pay for itself in the long run.

Another question, The truck I was looking at had some kind of special sprayed truck bed? (I haven't seen this options outside of the dealership) and it has the vin etched in the glass? And they want me to pay an extra 700 dollars. I would assume this to be a bad deal, becuase Toyota talks about their new composite rust proof bed.... so whats with this? And if its rust proof I am assuming there is no need to Rhino-ize the bed. (I think thats the name for the aftermarket truck bed liner)
Sounds like a scam. I'd order one without that sh*t unless you're buying used.

Lastly and thanks for your patience.
Now that I have an idea of the truck I want... I am sure there are not any 07's left that are configured how I would like. If this is true how would you go about getting a vehicle like this? Wait for 08? (can you special order a truck you want?) Pay a little more and get features you don't want on an 07? (although I wouldn't cry if I got a 4x4 truck... I just might not like the price tag)
Tell the dealer what options you want and let him do the leg work to find one that either matches your wants or comes as close as possible. It shouldn't be that hard to find a SR5 Prerunner with a tow package....the LSD is the only thing that might make it tricky as I don't know how many of them come with an LSD outside of the Sport package.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The window etching is just a theft deterrant. A sprayed bed... Well, the plastic bed is a little slick, especially when its wet. It would I guess protect the bed a little bit from shock, but I dont think it would be worth doing. Most people spray their metal beds to prevent it from rust, and to get a non-slip surface. Except if you plan on trying to walk up the sides of the bed, you will be well off with the factory rubber mat (its pricey but well worth it). If you really want to take an extra step, the Bedrugs are pretty sweet. I dont know how they look in the 05+, but it looked and worked great in my 04.

You should be able to special order any truck you want, for as long as the options are available together.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Coobeans,

If you haven't emailed Dianne Whitmire ([email protected]) yet, you are doing yourself a disservice. She was at Carson (CA) Toyota for many many years, and recently moved to San Juan Capistrano (CA) Toyota (formerly known as Family Toyota).

Dianne may be far from you, but in the early days of TundraSolutions, she made such awesome deals on Tundras for members here, that it was cheaper to buy from her and have it shipped to you across country than it was for you to buy at the dealer down the street from you.

I do believe her abilities to serve your customers made her the NUMBER ONE SALESPERSON IN THE NATION for Toyota. She can work magic!!!! Many members from across the US here on TS can attest to her. She can get you almost ANY truck you want. She doesn't normally work at the dealership on Sundays, but I believe she will still check her emails.

Oh, and she doesn't play that dickering around/bartering all-day-at-the-dealership game. She tells you how much she can sell it to you for, and there you go. In my past 4 transactions with her, I found that my price from her was better than those that spent all weekend at the dealership 'negotiating' with the other salesfolk.

She is still very active here at TundraSolutions. Check out her threads and forum here for more:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/pricing-and-dealers/

Good luck!

EDJ

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you haven't emailed Dianne Whitmire ([email protected]) yet, you are doing yourself a disservice. She was at Carson (CA) Toyota for many many years, and recently moved to San Juan Capistrano (CA) Toyota (formerly known as Family Toyota).

EDJ
Is she able to work out good deals on other Toyotas as well?

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I wish I could work with Dianne's pricing, but on the other side of US makes in cost-prohibited. Also, I think there is the double tax thing. I can't remember if you CA charges as well as the gaining state. I believe VT double taxes not giving credit for what you pay elsewhere. Anybody know the skinny? :confused:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wish I could work with Dianne's pricing, but on the other side of US makes in cost-prohibited. Also, I think there is the double tax thing. I can't remember if you CA charges as well as the gaining state. I believe VT double taxes not giving credit for what you pay elsewhere. Anybody know the skinny? :confused:
Xedge, just email and ask her. Last time I checked, like I posted earlier, she could get a Tundra across country and into your driveway for LESS than you could get it at the dealer down the road from your house.

Snakeii, I believe she has juice across the entire Toyota line. Just email and ask her, she is responsive.

Good luck, and please post your results!

EDJ

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I bought and originally had my Tacoma registered in New Mexico. All I had to show the Vermont DMV was that the tax was already paid for. Be sure to have all of the receipts and proof on hand, especially if you used a trade-in. I had to get the dealership to send them everything because what I had wasnt proof enough, which was the registration papers from both the new Tacoma and the 04 I used for a trade-in. I think they just wanted some extra money from me but I wasnt willing to play along nicely. For some reason the NM DMV wasnt showing me as a owner of the 04. Whoever bought it after I traded it in is the only owner listed, showing a purchase date in the later part of 05. How many dealers do you know hang unto a last years model for that long, especially with 20,000+ miles already on it? NM and their wonderful DMV.. pretty pathetic, no wonder theres so many people there with 10+ DWI's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts