Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and have been lurking for a while. Nice place and lots of good info!

I've just purchased an '07 Tacoma dbl.cab long bed and I'm trying to decide on bed cover options. I recently sold my '99 Tacoma ext cab and had a Century matched camper top on it. I've obviously become used to having a shell and the benefits of a lockable covered space. I've thought about the retrax cover this time yet I still lose on height compared to the shell.

What are you guys using and who's shell looks the best to y'all?? Just trying to find all options and make up my mind.

Thanks!

Tapp

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like the A.R.E Bed Caps, they look really nice on Taco's and I'm currently saving up to get one myself. Leer makes some too; the ones that are kind of raised, rather than a flat bed cap.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Hello and welcome... Congrats on your new purchase... Well, it all depends what you like... For me there was only one way to go but that's me... Hence, Undercover Tonneau... It's lockable too... Also prevents tailgate from opening when closed... Undercover ™ is the new standard in tonneau covers. Our Patented X-effect ™ design and advanced polymers give this tonneau cover unparalleled strength and durability at a fraction of the weight and less cost than fiberglass. A co-worker of mine has a 03 Tacoma 4-door like mine and he has a Snugtop Cap and loves it... SNUGTOP - Manufacturing fiberglass pick-up truck caps, tops, toppers, camper shells, canopies, hard tonneau covers, work caps and truck accessories since 1959 Then again, he bought it with it on...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like the Leer camper shell. They have a great warranty. The paint is a perfect match. I had the Thule roof rack and the electric lock installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Leer XQ is a good looking topper. The one piece glass is less than ideal and I didnt like the recess' in the shell that the Leer logos go in. Really slick looking topper though. Snugtop makes the supersport, I just don't like it. I have the Snugtop Xtravision, functional windows and can look really clean after debadging. My only qualm about my topper is the finish on the windows, they look pretty good, not great. Click on the camera to see pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your comments! I've just got to make up my mind but I'm leaning toward a camper shell again. I haul musical gear more than anything and some of my stuff is taller than the rails so a flat top would hinder that. I've thought of a roll top cover; that way I could roll it up and move it out of the way if I've got taller items. The negative of course is the weatherproof option of not having a cover and security is lessened. Decisions decisions......

Tapp

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have a Leer 100XQ too and love it dearly. Had some paint problems initially, but Leer was great about it and custom painted it to match my fuel door as they couldn't get the Speedway Blue colour right for some reason.

At any rate, I have the electric lock as well and love that feature. I think it's very clean looking with the one piece glass windows and with the cap being the same height as the cab from front to back.

I do not like how/where the Leer logos are applied (as someone above mentioned) because you are left with indentations where the logo was if you were to debadge the cap. All in all, amazing product and Leer has been great to deal with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the looks of the Leer but I'm not sure if they make the top for my long bed double cab Taco?? It's not listed on their website. I also don't like where the Leer badge is on the back window. My local dealer felt sure that he could get me a Leer but it's strange that they don't show it on their website.

I may have to go back to Century since they make one to fit my truck and I can get it locally. Snugtop is nice but I can't find a nearby dealer. I'm debating on buying an Access or Truxedo soft roll up top too.

Tapp

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 07 Tacoma, D Cab, Long Bed and purchased the Leer 100 XQ. It comes with a carpeted headliner and I had the Thule Roof Rack, and electronic lock installed. When I purchased my truck I priced it through the dealer thinking I might save a buck. Not so. The dealer wanted almost $3,000. I got mine with the options for $1,700. I decided on the XQ because the glass is seamless. I just thought that looked better, but it opens from the bottom and does not open up enough in my opinion. That's the only thing I dislike about it. As for the Leer decal on the back, I don't think you can remove it. I have had no problems with mine but have heard from a few people who had problems with the paint. In all cases Leer gave them the option of a new cap or repainted the old one. What ever you do decide I would suggest getting the electronic lock for the back window. It works with the key-less entry on your truck. I think all brands, not just Leer offer this feature. On my last truck I had and an ARE that had 2 latches/locks on the back, one on each side. I hated this because it was to much to lock and unlock compaired to having one latch/lock in the center. I have attached a couple of pics. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just got the A.R.E. Z Series topper for my access cab tacoma. I love it, fits great, I got it with the sliding rails for the roof rack, so I can go with Thule or Yakima racks. I did not go with the remote lock, but from what some of you are saying, maybe I should have. The only complaint that I have about the A.R.E. is the attachments for the bed rail system are kind of non functional because the lip from the topper sits right on them. Over all, I love having the extra storage room, and my dogs love getting to go for a ride now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TugBoatCaptain!

How did you deal with the front window on your Leer shell? I notice in the brochure that my Leer dealer gave me, they offer the front of the shell windowless and you can buy a compression boot to seal it to the truck. I'm wondering if this would be a better option for rear view visibility. I would definitely be able to use my existing truck sliding back window. Has anyone had any experience with this compression boot install; any leaks, etc??

The Leer does look nice!

Tapp

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's to bad you don't have a Snug Top Dealer near you. I have a '05 DCab shortbed and a Snug Top Shell. ITs fully carpeted, pop-open side windows and a sliding window on the cab side, and I can still use the bed tiedowns. The shell dealer doesn't suggest those window boots here in New Mexico because our dust is high in pummis, and very abrasive. The dust will wear away the paint where it comes in contact with the boot. I love it, my two German Sheppards love it, my wife loves it, my kids love it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I didnt have a Snugtop dealer next to me I would have picked up a Leer. I'm not saying other toppers arent good, the fit and finish seem a little superior on these two brands. Then again the price is superior too. I had a snugtop Expo on my 00 Tacoma for 6 years and it looked great when I sold my truck. Just a little more info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess if I really wanted a Snugtop, I could order one in from the midwest distributor and get my camper/truck shop to mount it for me? I was really pleased with my last Century top. It was old Taco for 7 years without a hitch; aside from the shocks giving way after 5yrs. I just don't want the "framed up" look like my last top had.

Tapp

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought to go with the compression boot, but the Leer dealer talked me out of it. The main reason was that it would mess up the paint on the back of the cab. No problem if you plan on keeping the top on all the time. I was worried about being able to see out the back, but it was no problem. You would think that with the back window of the truck and the back window of the topper being tinted it would be hard to see out of, but it is not in my opinion. I did get the removeable, sliding window option just in case I changed my mind. I beleive the XQ comes with just a solid window thats against the cab. Adding a removeable one also makes it easier to clean the glass and if you find it too hard to see then you can always add the compression boot and remove the window later.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I thought to go with the compression boot, but the Leer dealer talked me out of it. The main reason was that it would mess up the paint on the back of the cab. No problem if you plan on keeping the top on all the time. I was worried about being able to see out the back, but it was no problem. You would think that with the back window of the truck and the back window of the topper being tinted it would be hard to see out of, but it is not in my opinion. I did get the removeable, sliding window option just in case I changed my mind. I beleive the XQ comes with just a solid window thats against the cab. Adding a removeable one also makes it easier to clean the glass and if you find it too hard to see then you can always add the compression boot and remove the window later.
My XQ came with the sliding window standard. It was also carpeted and came with an interior light standard. The only option I opted for was the electric lock feature (which IMHO is mandatory). Great product!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Thanks all for your comments! I've just got to make up my mind but I'm leaning toward a camper shell again. I haul musical gear more than anything and some of my stuff is taller than the rails so a flat top would hinder that. I've thought of a roll top cover; that way I could roll it up and move it out of the way if I've got taller items. The negative of course is the weatherproof option of not having a cover and security is lessened. Decisions decisions......

Tapp
I had a tough time deciding between a tonneau and a shell. Since hauling my mt and road bike is one of the main reasons I bought a truck I needed something that would work. I would have had to buy a shell that was tall enough, like those that raise up more towards the rear, which I dont think look too attractive. Plus the road bike has aero bars on it so that would prevent the shell door from closing. That pretty much concluded I couldnt go with a shell.

But, for hauling around your equipment, the shell would be perfect, especially since they generally give you better weather protection then any tonneau cover.

Id love to see a manufacturer create a system that would allow you to switch from a tonneau to a shell easily. Perhaps a shell that would mount on top of the Retrax frame, then have the ability to remove the Retrax's cannister so you would gain back the 13" or whatever of space it uses up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts