Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It got me last week Thur. I was backing into a parking space and the engine took off. I was looking over my shoulder, foot on the brake, and the steering wheel cramped hard left. The engine started racing like I had floored it. I turned around in my seat and the first thing I thought of was 'is my foot half on the accelerator and half on the brake? No, it was all the way on the brake. I had both feet on the brake now but the tires were squawling and smoking. I remember reading a thread on this site a while ago about staying calm and shifting to neuteral. The engine was still racing. I looked at the tach and it showed right at 5000 rpm. I turned the ignition switch off and the engine back fired and stoped. I restarted the truck and finished my parking with no further problems. I came in and called the dealership immediately. They said bring the truck in and they would keep it a couple of days to read all the codes and open the computer box. They also called me and asked if cruise control was on, air conditioning on, or floor mat bunched up in front of the pedal. No to all questions.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Sounds like yours may be one of the very rare cases when 'pedal mis-application' or bunched mats were not the problem. Also sounds like you never had the 90L recall done. This is the one where they reflash the ECU and trim a bit off the bottom of the gas pedal. I was skeptical but finally had it done and I have no complaints or regrets. You can enter your VIN at Toyota's website to see if your truck is affected by that recall (or any others).
Here's a link: Toyota Safety Recall and Car Service Information

And here's a flowchart (thanks, Moose) of what to expect from the reflash:

·
Registered
663 Posts
NP Splicer. Glad I saved those charts when Toyota put them out there.:tu:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts