Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's been a lot of discusson on this forum about the seats being too low in the 05+ Tacoma, but I haven't found posts from anyone that's actually done something to change it. I've had my truck for two weeks and I too am finding these seats to be too low. I'm 6'2.5", 230lbs, and when I drive this truck for 45 minutes or longer, I really start to fidget my legs. I find my thighs begin to feel fatigued and my right heel begins to go numb. I think if the seat was just 1-2" higher off the floor, it would be a much nicer ride.

Has anyone actually lifted the seats in their 05+ Tacoma? If so, how did you do it? Are you happy with the results?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For reference, here are pictures of the seat height in my '06 Liberty versus the '06 Tacoma. In the Jeep, I feel like I'm riding in a tractor-trailer. It's like sitting in a kitchen chair. I love it. In the Tacoma, it's more like I'm sitting on the floor in front of a sofa with my legs stretched out in front of me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I haven't measured. I'm going to do that this eveing and will write back with the results. One thing to notice is the black rails that the Jeep seat is mounted on. They're about 4-5" tall. The Tacoma seat is mounted directly to floor. From the slide rail to the lip of the seat cushion, the Tacoma seat looks to be about 2" taller than the Jeep seat. But the Jeep seat is lifted about 4-5".

·
Registered
80 Posts
i just drove (my new taco!!!) 16 hours and really didn't have any problems at all. granted i am only 6', but what i noticed was the stearing wheel being almost too low for my legs. it was up as high as it would go, but if there were any sort of seat lift to it, i doubt i'd even be able to get in. fortunately the low seat height has not been a problem at all for me

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheel tilts & telescopes. Do you maybe have it tilted all the way up, but telescoped all the way towards the dashboard? I have mine set to about 1/2 tilt and full telescope away from the dash. I find the top of the wheel is very high compared to other vehicles. If if hold the wheel at 12:00, my fist is at about chin level for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found that after a couple of months, the seats became more comfortable. (6-1 200lbs) I sat in the passenger seat the other day, and it was awfully hard and uncomfortable compared to the driver's seat. It also helps to take my shoes off on long trips. the extra 1/2 inch makes a big difference! I would like to raise the front of the seat about 1/2 inch, but the steering wheel would be in the way if I went any higher.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Another thing is that I would probably not try to raise the seat myself, as this could pose a serious safety issue should you ever get into a crash ...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point. I've was thinking about that a bit today. All the crash testing that's been done with the vehicle is based on the seats as they are now. Raising it could dramatically alter what happens to the driver in a crash based on his relation to the shoulder harness, roof, and steering wheel. Also, I'd be concerned about any homemade mounting hardware failing and leading to injury.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Brackets on the Liberty do appear to give the actual seat about 1-1/2" higher more height....I drove a bare bones Taco and actually though the seats were better than the optioned up model. I wonder if the semi bench seat is actually a bit higher.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I've got some measurements to compare the seat hight of the '06 Liberty to the '06 Tacoma. To take the measurements, I placed a level on the front-edge of the seat bottom. I then took a relatively plumb measurement from the footwell to the level as close to the seat as possible. This would eliminate any measurement skewing caused by differences in distance from the seat to the footwell.

The Liberty, 14.75":

The Tacoma, 11.5":

(The level was slighty off in the Tacoma pic, giving a reading of 11.25". It's hard to take this picture with your right hand while holding the rig with your left!)

·
Registered
293 Posts
you could try taking a drawing similar to this (but better and with details like dimensions) to your local machine/fab shop and asking if they would make some brackets (2/seat). I believe this setup will work. if you have questions about the drawing feel free to ask and i can explain better.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
JPSMITH, I asked all the same questions you are. Don't you just love when people reply with "I just drove 5000 miles in 24 straight hours and just LOVE my seats". I'm sure some people do, but that doesn't answer the question for those of us who don't like the seats!!! I'm not tall, but the lack of thigh support drove me crazy. I almost bought the Frontier because of it. (Much better seats) I like to tilt the front of my seats up and tilt the back aft slightly. This allows me to drive in a somewhat reclined position and REALLY helps my back & legs during longer drives. Obviously the Tacoma seats don't allow for this. I have the off-road package, so my seats are slightly longer (I believe) than yours. After sitting in them for about 1000 miles, they are starting to conform and feel better. That being said, I'm still considering adding a spacer to the front especially now that I see you can telescope the wheel. (Don't ask why I didn't know this....) Anyway I just moved the wheel all the way up and telescoped all the way out and found that I should have plenty of room for a spacer. I would recommend going to a really good bolt. A 160 ksi Holokrome Socket Head Cap Screw (Usually Available at Lowe's) is certainly better than what's in there now and would compensate for the extra length in the event of a crash. Just make sure to increase the bolt length by the same amount as your spacer. Getting 4" is not practical, but a combination of modest height increase and tilting the front may give you the same feeling as the much higher seat. Give it a try by shimming it one weekend. If it works, make it permanent. Good Luck and please let me know how it turns out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
VT-fan
It isn't as simple as shimming and longer bolts. The front seat brackets are angled where they bolt to the floor. Unfortunately I think the solution involves fabricating some new brackets.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree with Tser, the seats are definitely more conforming after a few months. I haven't driven longer than 1 1/2 hours at a time, (6ft/190) but would still prefer to raise seat slightly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just for kicks, I removed the bolts and wedged 1/2 inch of wood underneath the front mounts on the drivers seat. I sat in the garage for a few minutes to see if it was any more comfortable. It was but then the armrests seemed too low.
I decided to stack 2, 1/16 flat washers under each front mount, and fasten the bracket down.That was all that would squeeze in there without further modification. I probably should put longer bolts in, but I just want to try it for a few days. I sat for about 15 minutes and the 1/8 inch lift actually made a big difference for me! The change in angle of the seat was noticeable.
Keep in mind that the seat rails are not level to the floor. Meaning the farther back the seat is set the lower it is in relation to the floor.
I think the ultimate solution is to remove the rivet holding the rails to the floor mount brackets, place a piece of flat iron in between the two, and carefully weld everything back together. I would like to try 3/8 flat iron under the front, and 1/4 for the back to help the seat angle. This would actually be stronger than the factory setup.
For now, I'll try the washers for a few weeks and let you know what I think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TSER,
You're right. With any significant angle change (front lift) you'll need an angled shim if you want the entire foot of the seat to sit flush on the shim. This isn't hard to do especially if you look at some of the angled washers that are out there. If you go to McMaster-Carr, then search for square washers, then in the middle of the page you'll find beveled washers. This is what I was thinking about using. They come in a variety of sizes / angles. Of course if you go too far, you'll run out of free play in the bolt hole and have to open it up to still fit in the threaded hole. I for one am not to interested in modifying the foot too much so this will be a limiting factor for me.

It's interesting to see how little you needed to feel a difference. That's good news. Thanks for trying it and sending feedback. That was the info that I was looking for before I bought my truck. (Can't really try these things on a test drive!!!) :) Now that I have the truck, I can experiment.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for their feedback, suggestions, and even trying things. With less than 400 miles on my truck, I'm going to take a wait & see stance for a bit longer. Once I have a couple thousand, then I'll know if I still think something should be done. But I'm glad this thread is keeping itself alive. There's been a lot of talk about the seats being too low. Maybe some aftermarket manufacturers will read this and see the need for a seat lift kit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good thing you don't drive a car. In most cars you sit much lower. It's a personal thing, but I find the seating position in the Tacoma better than the sofa-like one in my Dodge Ram and other full size pickups.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I've had my Taco for about 2 months and while I've gotten somewhat use to the seats, they still drive me nuts after about 2 hours. I tried to find various seat bases from junk yards and after market vendors with out any luck. I finally gave up and started fabricating my own this weekend. I thought hard about the safety issue and took that into consideration. Haven't quiet finished them, but it look likes there going to work out well. When I'm finished the seat will be tilting backwards rather than flat and a bit more height. Kelly, Austin, TX

1 - 20 of 39 Posts