Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Kmceuen,
Please post photos and let us know what you did, and results!
Update - After fabracating the first set of brackets, I wasn't satisfied with the design, but the process helped me with the redesigh. I'm almost done and should get them installed to test within the next couple of days. I'll post the pics when I'm done. Should be by Friday since I'm going out of town for a week Sat. 3/10 and want them for the trip. However, I won't have time to post the details untill I return from the trip. K-

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I noticed that I was riding with the seat reclined to about 25 degrees back from vertical. I prefer a more upright seat position, maybe about 10-15 degrees back from vertical. So I adjusted the seat to be more upright and raised the steering wheel so I could see the speedometer and it's now a more comfortable ride on my legs.

I know that a lot of people prefer a more reclined position, so this isn't a good solution for most, but it helped for me a bit. I'd still like to have the option of raising the seat an inch or so.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm only 5'10" but having issues as well. I've been driving Tacomas since 1987 but only seem to notice it now, but I'm a lot older now too. With heavy work boots I find it hard to find enough foot room too.

I think the best solution is to buy a 07 Tundra and be done with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has the bracket been fabricated yet? I just stumbled across this forum today when I was looking for info on modding the front seats. I just got an 07 Tacoma and find the front seats' lack of adjustment frustrating.

I too find them relatively uncomfortable. I thought I was the only one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
... I really start to fidget my legs. I find my thighs begin to feel fatigued and my right heel begins to go numb. I think if the seat was just 1-2" higher off the floor, it would be a much nicer ride.

Has anyone actually lifted the seats in their 05+ Tacoma? If so, how did you do it? Are you happy with the results?
I'm of the opinion that leg numbness is not a seat height issue, but instead the seat base is too short. For taller drivers the front edge of the seat puts pressure on the under side of your thigh cutting off blood. It's like sitting on a top of a block fence. I'm only 6' 0" tall and have noticed this a lot on Toyotas. Maybe they're still designing seats for the short average body size of Asian drivers or maybe marketing wants to keep the seat bases short to visually trick the eye into thinking there's more legroom than really exists.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just an update. A couple of months after my modifications, I am happier with the seats. I added two washers under the front mounts, and went to a thinner floor mat. It seems like such a small amount, but It made a difference for me. It was going to be temporary, but I think I will leave it for now.
I look forward to seeing pictures of modifications others have made.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Any engineers out there?

I'm just wondering how safe it is to lift up the seat with washers. Mounting brackets are curved to fit snugly on the floor so that they arent putting all the stress on the bolts. If the bracket is lifted where there is no snug fit, you are placing all the stress on the bolt. Not a problem just driving around, but if theres impact which results in 40-50 g's (at 30mph supposedly) you are increasing the risk of sheering the bolts.

Its been a long time since I calculated the figures on particular bolt grades, I'll have to talk with one of the engineers at work. From what I remember its just a simple calculation of the g force multiplied by the weight, which would put you around the ball park figure of how much sheer force there is. What are the grade bolts for the seats, 5 or 8? Using some info off rockcrawler.com tech page...

If they are grade 5, and 3/8" the capability of tension is 9888. 60% of that gives you the shear, 5933. So, if you total 200 lbs (with the seat, etc) you would place 10,000 pounds of force on the bolts. Of course there are 4 bolts, and its not going to be exactly 10,000 pounds of shear force since the weight isnt perfectly lateral, there would be some tension force as well.

Supposedly at 70mph the energy is about 4 times more, so that would equal 160-200 g's? So with that 200 lbs that would be between 32,000-40,000 pounds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any engineers out there?

I'm just wondering how safe it is to lift up the seat with washers. Mounting brackets are curved to fit snugly on the floor so that they arent putting all the stress on the bolts. If the bracket is lifted where there is no snug fit, you are placing all the stress on the bolt. Not a problem just driving around, but if theres impact which results in 40-50 g's (at 30mph supposedly) you are increasing the risk of sheering the bolts.
<snippage of much "sheering" stuff>
He's only shimming the front mount bolts. Their highest-stress situation would be in a rapid deceleration scenario; in that case, the driver's body inertia will be controlled by the seat belt, not the seat (or seat mounts, or seat mount bolts). The bolts will be resisting the inertia of the seat's own mass, and anything that was stored behind the seat in an unrestrained manner (like your bowling ball, or your unbelted-buddy, Paul) that slams into the back of the driver's seat. The 1/8" washer stack sounds ok--assuming the bolt still makes full-thread penetration (and with just 1/8" increase, I'd guess it will)-- to me, but I'm not a rocket scientist or automotive crash test engineer. I've had some skewling in traffic accident analysis and basic college physics...all disclaimers apply ;)

BTW, you guys aren't the first to notice the ride-height issue...Consumers Reports noted "low driver's position" as a ding on the Tacoma back in 2005.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I ordered a new base SE model Jeep Wrangler in 2003 and that year the seats were lowered 3-3.5" and at the same time the backrest was raised 5-6" almost touching the roll bar, at work we have a fleet of Ranger pickups, and the 03's had the same thing done, the bottom cushions were on the floor and the backrest covered the entire height of the rear window(reg cabs). I remember reading that rear end crash protection standards had changed necessitating this requirement. I raised my Jeep seats about 2.5" and many on most Jeep sites did also. The drivers of the Ford Rangers complained about the seats versus the older models. So does anyone know if the older Tacoma's, or any other smaller/mid size vehicles changed the seat height around 2003 versus earlier models? I was in the drug store a month or so ago and picked up an issue of Consumer Reports while in line and it was the annual new auto issue. While thumbing through I saw a best & worst section, the Tacoma had quite a few good things pointed until the the seat/fitting come up. The Tacoma scored the worst seating/hardest to get comfortable for both Tall drivers as well as short drivers. With the steep w/shield slope combined with the low (relatively) roof line I can see how some people can find some discomfort. I love my truck, and worked to get used to it as I think most can, but it was kinda odd at first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BTW, you guys aren't the first to notice the ride-height issue...Consumers Reports noted "low driver's position" as a ding on the Tacoma back in 2005.
If the seats were any higher and you're taller than, say, 5'10", you'll probably be ducking a lot at intersections to see when the light changes. I'm 6'0" and have to duck at times with the stock seat height.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If the seats were any higher and you're taller than, say, 5'10", you'll probably be ducking a lot at intersections to see when the light changes. I'm 6'0" and have to duck at times with the stock seat height.
I have no problem with the seat height, I'm 5'10". The only problem I have are certain left turns where the pillar seems too be way to thick or not in a very good position.

Physics is something I had intended on taking by now in college, about the closest thing to is I guess is a aerodynamics class at ERAU. Other then that, drafting/architectural class way back in high school. Its not that I really need it now, but I do find it pretty interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:td: I too HATE the seats in my new 08 Taco DC. I only test drove for a few minutes, but once I drove over 30 min, it is real uncomfortable. I wish I could raise it up and tilt it back. I may just sell the truck and get the tundra if I can not figure out how to raise them.....ITS THAT BAD:td:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You'll get quite used to it. I whined about the seats like a child for the first month to six weeks. I got used to them and I never think about it anymore. I'm very comfortable in the truck now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just for kicks, I removed the bolts and wedged 1/2 inch of wood underneath the front mounts on the drivers seat. I sat in the garage for a few minutes to see if it was any more comfortable. It was but then the armrests seemed too low.
I decided to stack 2, 1/16 flat washers under each front mount, and fasten the bracket down.That was all that would squeeze in there without further modification. I probably should put longer bolts in, but I just want to try it for a few days. I sat for about 15 minutes and the 1/8 inch lift actually made a big difference for me! The change in angle of the seat was noticeable.
Keep in mind that the seat rails are not level to the floor. Meaning the farther back the seat is set the lower it is in relation to the floor.
I think the ultimate solution is to remove the rivet holding the rails to the floor mount brackets, place a piece of flat iron in between the two, and carefully weld everything back together. I would like to try 3/8 flat iron under the front, and 1/4 for the back to help the seat angle. This would actually be stronger than the factory setup.
For now, I'll try the washers for a few weeks and let you know what I think.
I just took out one of the front bolts and noticed that the last 1/4 inch of the bolt is smaller diameter than the rest of the bolt and it is threaded. So if I add some washers it seem that the smaller diameter past of the bolt won't be contirbuting to hold the seat in place. Is it possible to buy bolts such as this that are 1/4 inch longer than the existing one? Or maybe that smaller part on the end wasn't meant to touch anything? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The tapered bolts help to get the threads started. There is still eneough bolt grabbing, even with washers added.
Since I added the washers under the front of the seat, and after a substantial break in period, the seats have gotten much more comfortable. It is hardly an issue any more for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just bought a 2007 Tacoma and drove it back home approx 1.5 hours and am wondering if I made a big mistake! I couldn't get comfortable the entire trip as I'm used to my old beater 1990 Acura Integra which has seats that fully support my thighs. I'm 5'11" 195 lbs and so far am not impressed with the seat angle. Looks like one of you has schemed up a design drawing, has this been tested and tried yet? Has Toyota provided any modification kits for this problem? I almost bought an F150 for the comfort but couldn't justify the domestic. Any help you guys can provide would be great. I'm assuming the seats are broken in now with 57,000 kms on her so a little worried I may be stuck with the uncomfortable seating position. Read some further treads posted here and think I'll try out the double washer deal, if that doesn't suffice, I'll keep adding washers, increase the bolt lengths and potentially drill out the hole to help everything align properly. Don't think the wait and see thing is going to work for me on this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
what I ended up doing to solve this problem for myself is I bought a seat cushion from amazon that boosts you in your seat a few inches, after that i got some seat covers and put them right over the seat cushion so it blends right in. Hope this helps!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts