Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm buying my first car soon and am wondering if i should get a tundra or tacoma.
i test drove the tundra crew max and am very happy with it. The gas is horrible though and i have to get the 5.7 :D

but since this is my first car the tacoma is smaller and has better mileage, and cheaper. Price is not a problem i'm either getting the platinum tundra or a top of the line tacoma. What do you guys recommend? also whatever truck i'm getting im going to put a 6 inch lift with some XD monsters.:devil:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
You want the machine with the best 0-60 time for drag racing. With only six cylinders, that would not be the Tacoma. :devil:

·
Registered
754 Posts
the tundra is the bigger brother of the tacoma....whatever the tacoma can do the tundra can do and whatever the tacoma cant do the tundra will finish it for him...

·
Registered
49 Posts
i'm buying my first car soon and am wondering if i should get a tundra or tacoma.
i test drove the tundra crew max and am very happy with it. The gas is horrible though and i have to get the 5.7 :D

but since this is my first car the tacoma is smaller and has better mileage, and cheaper. Price is not a problem i'm either getting the platinum tundra or a top of the line tacoma. What do you guys recommend? also whatever truck i'm getting im going to put a 6 inch lift with some XD monsters.:devil:
So youre worried about gas mileage, yet youre going to daily a truck with a lift and oversized tires? Makes sense...

get the tundra....wtf is wrong with you?

·
Registered
57 Posts
the tundra is the bigger brother of the tacoma....whatever the tacoma can do the tundra can do and whatever the tacoma cant do the tundra will finish it for him...

unless you're off road. Then the Taco is the winner big time.

I've got a 08 tundra 5.7 and my brother's got an 08 taco v6 6-speed off road package.

Here's my persepctive:
The tundra is definitely faster, but the 4.0 tacoma has alot less weight to throw around and is almost as quick.
The tundra has an alphabet soup of electronic nannies keeping you from spinning of hte road, the taco does not. In that respect, I prefer the taco, but honestly, the electronics in the tundra do a great job at keeping the rubber side down and the truck going in the direction you want.
The tacoma with the stick shift wins hands down in the fun to drive department. The auto in the tundra is the best one I've ever driven, but nothing replaces that 3rd pedal.
Tundra is more comfortable, especially if you are moving more than 2 or 3 people.
The tacoma has a sportier road feel.
the Taco with the off road pack and the rear locker will walk all over the tundra off road (real off roading, not fire roads and sand washes, ROCKS and technical trails), if that's your thing.
Tacoma gets a few MPG more but if you keep your foot out of the tundra, it does ok. (this point is moot because your mileage will be awful in either if you lift and get bigger tires)
Tundra will tow 2x as much 4x easier than the taco.
Tundra has better brakes.
tundra has a V8, enough said.

I bought the tundra to tow my off road rig and drive on the street and in bad weather.

My brother bought the tacoma to drive on the street AND be his off roader.

Both great trucks, and you'll most likely be happy with either one.

I like to know where you're getting the funds to but a 30-40k truck and lift and tires for your first vehicle. Trust fund much?
:confused:

·
Registered
530 Posts
So youre worried about gas mileage, yet youre going to daily a truck with a lift and oversized tires? Makes sense...

get the tundra....wtf is wrong with you?

x2... lifted truck and you are worried about gas mileage??????

The newer Tacomas must get better gas mileage than the older ones... Heck, my 01 Taco got 15.5 at BEST!!! The tundra hasnt been much worse than that....

If funds are unlimited, just buy both!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts

By the way, you would think that every wheel shop in California would be sold out of the XD Monsters by now.....

hahaha

·
Registered
754 Posts
yeah but the tundra looks more badass than the taco..I mean just looking at your pic shows you the size diff between the two and which turns more heads...
x2... lifted truck and you are worried about gas mileage??????

The newer Tacomas must get better gas mileage than the older ones... Heck, my 01 Taco got 15.5 at BEST!!! The tundra hasnt been much worse than that....

If funds are unlimited, just buy both!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
yeah but the tundra looks more badass than the taco..I mean just looking at your pic shows you the size diff between the two and which turns more heads...

I like the Tundra more than the Tacoma just based on the interior room alone, the crewmax is HUGE and that Extended Cab taco really only seats 2 people.... BUT, when I was in college, there was NO way I could have driven a Tundra... it was hard enough squeezing the Taco into those tiny campus parking spots....

The taco is a BLAST to drive, but they are just too small for me...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had four Tacomas and I loved them, I just got my Tundra three weeks ago and there is no going back for me!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I had an 08 Tacoma Double Cab Longbed and loved it. It had a very sporty feel to it and was very quick even though everything was stock. However, after my wife and I found out we were expecting our first child, the car seat her parents bought for us simply did not fit behind either of the seats without the seat being pushed ALL the way forward. We tried putting it in the middle, but my wife was having to climb into the cab to put the carseat into the base and I was straining my back standing outside and trying to lean all the way in. Obviously, this was not going to work. Started looking online and found a great deal on an 08 Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7L. The Tundra is much better than the Tacoma in almost every respect....I do miss the sporty feel of the Tacoma though. As far as MPG, the Tacoma averaged 21mpg on the highway (commute 50 miles for work) where as the Tundra is getting 19mpg. However, on a recent trip, the average MPG display got as high as 23.8mpg. Both trucks are bone stock. It all depends what you're going to be using the truck for. For me, it's going to be mainly a baby hauler (much safer with all the airbags) with the occassional trip towing my friend's travel trailer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had an 08 Tacoma Double Cab Longbed and loved it. It had a very sporty feel to it and was very quick even though everything was stock. However, after my wife and I found out we were expecting our first child, the car seat her parents bought for us simply did not fit behind either of the seats without the seat being pushed ALL the way forward. We tried putting it in the middle, but my wife was having to climb into the cab to put the carseat into the base and I was straining my back standing outside and trying to lean all the way in. Obviously, this was not going to work. Started looking online and found a great deal on an 08 Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7L. The Tundra is much better than the Tacoma in almost every respect....I do miss the sporty feel of the Tacoma though. As far as MPG, the Tacoma averaged 21mpg on the highway (commute 50 miles for work) where as the Tundra is getting 19mpg. However, on a recent trip, the average MPG display got as high as 23.8mpg. Both trucks are bone stock. It all depends what you're going to be using the truck for. For me, it's going to be mainly a baby hauler (much safer with all the airbags) with the occassional trip towing my friend's travel trailer.
GOOD GOD!!!! The best I have ever averaged over a long trip was 14 in the Tundra!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Tundra all the way, you will get more bank for your buck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do with it.
Are you married with kids?
Do you live in the City?
Are you going to take it off road?
Are you going to have passengers?
I just got a Tundra Ext Cab and it is plenty for my family of five. On long trips we take the mini van.
The Tundra with the big motor is a rocket ship. Enjoy
SScott

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
GOOD GOD!!!! The best I have ever averaged over a long trip was 14 in the Tundra!!!
I NEVER believe these numbers people claim. I have never seen 20mpg!!! I think the best I've ever gotten on a long trip was 18 and change.

Now then for the OP, if you aren't worried about buying a fifty thousand dollar truck then why are you worried about gas??? If I were younger I would get a Taco since that is what I drove a few years back anyway. A taco is plenty of truck for a young guy with no family to tow around. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And, before you make the assumption I am getting off the in dash ave. mpg, My 17 mpg is hand calculated. I have seen 20mpg ave on the highway. I hear alot of people say 18-20 is unhead of with the new Tundra.....BS!! Also my in dash mpg calculator is almost exactly what I get with my calculator in the glove box. My brother has a standard 06 Tacoma and only gets 1-2 mpg better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It really does depend on what you want to do. I have a 2010 DC 4x4 and a 2005 Tacoma DC 4x4.

If I'm going off-road, Im taking the Tacoma, it will go places out on my acreage that my tundra could only wish to go. It still has a real locking rear axle, is narrower, has a better arrival angle, is lighter etc. If Im taking a trip, Im still taking the Tacoma until I can resolve this bed bounce issue on the Tundra.

If Im going to get a load of Sod Ill take the Tundra and its my daily driver back and forth to work mainly because my Tacoma does not have satellite radio. I had planned on getting rid of Tacoma after I got the Tundra buts that's on hold until I can get some Tundra issues resolved.

As far as mpg I have a lot of stop and go traffic and the tundra is averaging 13.9, the Tacoma averages 17.3.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts