Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, anyone that tows a lot, by a lot I mean anything over 7,000 lbs, does your new Tundra sag in the rear with that load? Are you hitting the stops? Close to the stops? Have you got a WD hitch or not?

Yeah, I know, its a small group of people that even have a new Tundra let alone tow that much but this thing on the rear sag has me concerned.

If you tow to the max, or even w/in 5-10% of 10,000 lbs, is the new Tundra going to ride the stops? I know it sounds like I'm 12 with this but it is a concern nonetheless. I have to make a decision between a 2500HD 6.0L NBS 4.10 rear, 6 spd Sierra and the Tundra.

To me, if its close to the stops with weight approaching the max then the truck might not be ready for towing in that range on any kind of regular use. I'm not always towing at 10,000 lbs. but quite a bit between 7,000 lbs and 10,000 lbs.

I really want the Tundra based on ergonomics, styling, performance, etc. but those spring ratings have me worried.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm towing about 3 tons daily with my new Tundra and I just left a 2500 HD Silverado with the 6L. The rear did drop on me at first when the trailer was hooked up, but I solved the problem by adjusting my insert so the ball is almost even with the bumper, and its not a WD hitch. Now my trailer rides perfectly level and the drop is minimal. My 2500 HD never dropped a bit, but it also rode like it had concrete tires. You can always add an extra leaf spring but then youd have the crappy ride of a 3/4 ton. Or you could add airbags to the rear and just inflate them when you tow.

Either way, I'm using my truck for work daily and it pulls 3 tons like its not there and merging into traffic on the highway with a full load has never been easier. If you tow over 10,000 lbs daily then the Tundra may not be the right choice and you may need to consider a 3/4 or 1 ton, but for under 10,000 lbs, its a breeze.

Also, if you tow at least 5 days out of the month, buy the backup camera. Its the best money I've ever spent on an gadget. It literally cut my hook up time in half.

Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts