Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone by any chance come up with a way to install one of the tailgate drop assist actuators on their Gen I? I have been looking for one to fit the Gen I trucks, however for some reason they do not exist. I know they have them for Fords, Chevys, Dodge, and even the Gen II Tundras, so I was wondering if anyone out there has found a way to fit an actuator to the bed of their Gen I and was willing to share how they did it?

Tailgate Assists | Dee Zee EZ Down Tailgate Assist Kit | TonnoCover.Com

Also, again, since there is no tailgate with a backup camera installed in the handle available for the Gen I's, has anyone come up with a way to install a camera with the same viewing angle as the Gen II Tundras? I am aware that backup cameras can be purchased that fit over the license plate or attach to the towing hitch, however with those you can not see your bumper for a reference point. The way the Gen II cameras are positioned you can see the rear end of the truck to be able to have a reference how far things are from your bumper. Anyone out there find a way to fit a camera into the tailgate of their Gen I for a viewing angle similiar to the Gen II's?

Thanks for the help and insight/suggestions...

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I have a camera that was installed on my 06 DC when I bought it. The camera sits just under the handle and I assume a hole had to be drilled to get it to sit where it does. The viewing screen is displayed in my rearview when I'm in reverse or when I hit a button on the mirror. It allows me to see the bumper and is very useful when trying to get out of a tight spot. The paper work for it is in the glovebox and I'll get the name of it for you.

I do know there are lots of options for cameras like this out on the market and you just have to decide which you'd like to go with.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have a camera that was installed on my 06 DC when I bought it. The camera sits just under the handle and I assume a hole had to be drilled to get it to sit where it does. The viewing screen is displayed in my rearview when I'm in reverse or when I hit a button on the mirror. It allows me to see the bumper and is very useful when trying to get out of a tight spot. The paper work for it is in the glovebox and I'll get the name of it for you.

I do know there are lots of options for cameras like this out on the market and you just have to decide which you'd like to go with.

Would you mind taking a picture of it so I can see hows its mounted and the angle its mounted at??

Ive been wanting / needing to buy a back up camera for some time since I dinged my bumper 2 days after buying it but I dont like the license plate ones or the hitch receiver ones.

Thanks in advance!! :tea:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
defhaps,
That would be terrific. I am at the point in my search that I realize in order to get a viewing angle that shows the bumper some drilling and possibly some body work may be needed on the tailgate. I have even began searching around scrap and junk yards for a tundra with the same tailgate to perhaps practice on or at least give it a shot before I tear apart my tailgate.

I have thought about possibly getting one of the tailgate protection guards that are on GMC's and Avalanches as they all have a lip on them, which looks as though it would be at the correct angle to drill into and add a camera, however what you have for a setup sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
My camera installed under the tailgate handle on my 2002 Tundra.

The camera is mounted on a bracket and can be rotated. It currently is at the highest point and could be pointed down further. It just misses showing the rear lip of the bumper in the current position.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
oh no!!!! socks and sandals????????????????????/ its 2010!!!! lose the socks!!! hahaha oh...yeah..camera....thats what the topic is.....

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Just made the post in this thread http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/196749-dc-back-up-camera-ideas/

When I bought my truck it had a RearSight Backup Camera installed and it works very well. I didn't even notice it until after I bought the truck because you can't tell the screen is in the mirror unless you're looking for it. The mirror has 3 inputs as well for expandability but I haven't added other peripherals. I've been thinking abut adding a camera to the front but it's not a high priority.

After a little searching, it looks like this is the exact kit that is installed on my truck. RearSight Backup Camera The camera sits just under the handle on the gate and doesn't look too out of place in my opinion.

Sorry for the somewhat crappy pics, it's the best my BB can do. Please also excuse the dirty truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Has anyone by any chance come up with a way to install one of the tailgate drop assist actuators on their Gen I? I have been looking for one to fit the Gen I trucks, however for some reason they do not exist. I know they have them for Fords, Chevys, Dodge, and even the Gen II Tundras, so I was wondering if anyone out there has found a way to fit an actuator to the bed of their Gen I and was willing to share how they did it?
I too would like to know if anyone has come up with a solution for this....

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Nice "Mandles" rlehan!; didn't someone do a mod on here once where they replaced the key lock with the backup camera to avoid any cutting/glueing? I forgot if that mod was for a wide angle lens to see the back bumper in addition to what was behind you.

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

Tailgate Assists | Dee Zee EZ Down Tailgate Assist Kit | TonnoCover.Com

I too would like to know if anyone has come up with a solution for this....
Me too.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I'd really like the ezdown style tailgate assist for my truck however they never released it. I've written them as have many others but it just didn't happen. The torsion rod one I've seen tears up the sheet metal at the base of the bed and I won't go that way. As for the camera I'm really wanting one to go with my nav system so I can back up without a ground guide but haven't decided on which one to use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts