Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to mod their pre 07 Tundra's tailgate to work like the 07's? Easy open hydraulic drop. I have found add on hydraulic shocks for Fords and others but not ours. Also after checking out an 07 I noticed there are no shocks. How do they work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw a cutout diagram at the dealership, and there appeared to be a shock mounted behind the drivers-side tail lights...

I too would be interested in more info on this, as I have a 2005 DC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Man, I would love an easylift tailgate for my 06 DC that isn't a torsion bar add on. C'mon Toyota !

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Well now, you boys with the big bucks go right ahead and buy that factory job and do without breakfast for awhile. I found a torsion bar on the web for $20 all inclusive and it works great.

Two small holes and you don't know it is there. My truck is a work truck and this is just what was needed for a difficult to lower tailgate.

And, I did the job all by myself. It was easy if you take your time and check your dimensions twice, (or even three times).

·
Registered
568 Posts
this would be nice when trying to close a tailgate while holding a 151 inch track sled on your shoulder so you dont have to strap it down ahah

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Well now, you boys with the big bucks go right ahead and buy that factory job and do without breakfast for awhile. I found a torsion bar on the web for $20 all inclusive and it works great.

Two small holes and you don't know it is there. My truck is a work truck and this is just what was needed for a difficult to lower tailgate.

And, I did the job all by myself. It was easy if you take your time and check your dimensions twice, (or even three times).
Could you post a link to the bar you bought? I'd like to check it out.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just checked the DeeZee website and they are now listing a EZ Down for a Tundra. Part #43600. Check it for yourself. Father's Day will be here soon!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
that deezee product is nice (no drilling) but it only controls the downward motion of the tailgate, it will still be hard, or even harder to push up.

BTW here is the link to the DeeZee product: LINK

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Could you post a link to the bar you bought? I'd like to check it out.
Well, first of all when I pulled my receipt I found that I had lied a little. I had to pay shipping of $6.95.

The part is EasyLift and got it from "Automotive Accessories Connection inc" This thing works for both up and down and if you are an old man like me it makes life a lot easier. The web page is supposed to be Automotive Accessories Connection Inc For Truck Accessories, Car Accessories And Suv Accessories, AccessConnect.com

Good Fortune to you and yours

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just have a problem having to remove the tailgate and drilling holes to mount this mod, and what's the metal fatigue factor on the torsion bar.
I like that the EZDown is a bolt on application that can be easily removed if the tailgate needs to come off. Unfortunately it only helps on lowering but that's when I would want the most aid. Have a feeling if someone ever does end up making one that works both ways, it will be to costly of a mod for this application.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
All modern trucks have tailgates that are easy to remove. I am 70 and I did it by myself. It does not rattle and it works. This is a great solution for a real problem. I protected all surfaces just in case I bumped something, so no scratches and it all works perfectly.

If you later find a system you like better, buy a couple rubber plugs for the holes you drilled and they will look like all the other unused accessories holes in your truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts