Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two days I've had a loud rattling noise coming from the back of my truck when driving over uneven pavement. My wife commented that it sounded like the bed was going to fall off. I took everything out of the bed to eliminate that and it was still there. I tried shaking the tailgate and it wouldn't make the noise and it felt pretty darn snug. So today I stopped 3 times coming home trying to figure it out. As they say, the third time is a charm.

I don't know why, but I grabbed the bottom of the closed tailgate and gave that a tug, sure enough the left tailgate to bed hinge is making the noise. I haven't broke it down to figure out exactly what is causing it but that area is the source of the noise. It will go to the shop for repair.

This might not help many people right now but as more Tundras hit the road it may. The search function has a way of doing that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dude, I feel sorry for you. Did someone roll your truck down a hill before you took delivery? :(

I sure hope you stop finding things wrong with this truck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For the past two days I've had a loud rattling noise coming from the back of my truck when driving over uneven pavement. My wife commented that it sounded like the bed was going to fall off. I took everything out of the bed to eliminate that and it was still there. I tried shaking the tailgate and it wouldn't make the noise and it felt pretty darn snug. So today I stopped 3 times coming home trying to figure it out. As they say, the third time is a charm.

I don't know why, but I grabbed the bottom of the closed tailgate and gave that a tug, sure enough the left tailgate to bed hinge is making the noise. I haven't broke it down to figure out exactly what is causing it but that area is the sorce of the noise. It will go to the shop for repair.

This might not help many people right now but as more Tundras hit the road it may. The search function has a way of doing that.
Mine has been doing the same thing since new 1 week ago I have 500 miles on it tailgate rattles I have the TRD package dont know if the stiffer ride has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude, I feel sorry for you. Did someone roll your truck down a hill before you took delivery? :(

I sure hope you stop finding things wrong with this truck.
Maybe it was a Friday afternoon or Monday morning truck, who knows. :devil:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has been doing the same thing since new 1 week ago I have 500 miles on it tailgate rattles I have the TRD package dont know if the stiffer ride has anything to do with it.
Have you brought it in? Did they have a fix? It might have something to do with the assist system but I don't know. I don't even know how that system works on this truck. Does anyone here know?

I have the TuRD package as well. I catch hell about that everyday from my Ford buddies. I don't think that is the cause but you never know.

Mine didn't start until I had about 1900 miles on it. In two days it will be a month old.

·
Registered
107 Posts
thanks for the info, ill investigate this issue to proper folks at my job. i know the area of the plant in which this part is installed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you brought it in? Did they have a fix? It might have something to do with the assist system but I don't know. I don't even know how that system works on this truck. Does anyone here know?

I have the TuRD package as well. I catch hell about that everyday from my Ford buddies. I don't think that is the cause but you never know.

Mine didn't start until I had about 1900 miles on it. In two days it will be a month old.
I would NOT recommend anyone buy a 5.7L Tundra

Just curious why this is a part of your signature...I am new here and may not your history with the truck...why would you recommend this? I am planning on purchasing a Crewmax Limited...what do you know that I don't? :confused:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I would NOT recommend anyone buy a 5.7L Tundra

Just curious why this is a part of your signature...I am new here and may not your history with the truck...why would you recommend this? I am planning on purchasing a Crewmax Limited...what do you know that I don't? :confused:
do a search for piston slap...alternatively, click on the mln's name and you will see all his postings....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe I also have the tailgate rattle although I haven't tried shaking the bottom yet so I don't really know if it is the tailgate for sure. But it sounds similar, I can hear it when I go over bumps at slow speeds, and if the rear window is open it is much easier to hear. It sounds like something is slightly loose in the rear of the truck.
Hopefully when I take my truck in to get the oil changed in a few weeks I can get the dealership to take a look at it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doc

Do a search of my posts. You will find the answer there. If you have more questions you can PM. I don't want to send this thread into a downward spiral. :ts:

Former Minnesotan

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info, ill investigate this issue to proper folks at my job. i know the area of the plant in which this part is installed
It would be cool if this thread ended up helping out all the future truck owners. That would be the Internet at it's finest.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It would be cool if this thread ended up helping out all the future truck owners. That would be the Internet at it's finest.
For some reason, I don't think that was your intention with this thread. Honestly, you should sell your truck. I don't think you'll ever be happy with it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There you go making assumptions. You know what happens when you assume right?

Why don't you re-read my post. I made sure there was no negativity in it because I knew someone like you would accuse me of mal intent.

I've addressed the sale of my truck in previous posts. I guess you just don't get it or are willing to throw away $10,000. I am not.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
For some reason, I don't think that was your intention with this thread. Honestly, you should sell your truck. I don't think you'll ever be happy with it.
thats helpful advice.......take a $5000 loss (depreciation number off the top of my head) because toyota screwed up on your engine? mln spent lots of money on a new truck and expects it to perform accordingly....nothing wrong with that........it seems like lots of members here do not want to hear anything negative about their beloved tundra.....since I am a prospective purchaser, I would like to hear both good and bad so I can make an informed decision......

·
Registered
548 Posts
mln-
i suggest keeping all of your records. you may soon be able to lemon law your truck. then you can start all over with another tundra, or another something else.
did you ever post audio of your truck noise issue? i would like to hear it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
mln-
i suggest keeping all of your records. you may soon be able to lemon law your truck. then you can start all over with another tundra, or another something else.
This is absolutely the way to go. And yes, a video would be very nice.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys

Lets keep this thread about the tailgate rattle. I'm tired of trying to defend my position. If no one believes me that is fine.

To all who care. I did not mean to be negative with this thread. I truely thought it may help others find an annoying noise coming from the back of the truck. I am anal and try resolve all squeaks, rattles and other noises. They bug the crap out of me. It's just the way I am.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mln-
Cruiser

I have no intent of posting any sound bites. I don't need 12 million barracks lawyers telling me they heard this or that. I know I hear something. Thanks for the other advise.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cruiser

I have no intent of posting any sound bites. I don't need 12 million barracks lawyers telling me they heard this or that. I know I hear something. Thanks for the other advise.

Hate to hear you're having another problem. I understand what it's like to be an overly anal person, because i too suffer from the same problem. I had a 03 silverado ss, really nice truck but the rear door had an extremely high pitched squeak that most people would never notice. I however became outraged every time i drove the thing. I took it to the dealer several times, but they never could fix the problem. "Now that i think of it a piece of foam weatherstrip would have cured it, boy why didn't i think of that till this very moment." Well anyhow i eventually sold it for a 04 avalanche which was quiet as a mouse, same thing so far luckily with my 07 sierra, it hasn't had a single squeak or creak thus far amen.. Hopefully someone will find a cure for this issue, i guess it's just a risk of a first year vehicle.:eek:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts