Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if you guys know, but the 2nd gen Tundras has a tailgate that has a soft open feature. I'm not sure "soft open" is the correct way to describe it, but my buddy pulled up, hopped out and pulled the handle on the tailaget, then let go, and the tailgate drops down nice and slow by itself.... soooo nice!
i was jealous to say the least.
Anyway, I looked closely at the hinge mechanism, and the configuration looks identical to ours. I was thinking if you bought the hinge parts for the new tundras, maybe it'll fit ours? Anyone work for Yoda that can try it?
I dont' know how its mechanically dampened, I'm sure there's a spring and dampener inside the tailgate, but externally they look interchangeable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a nice feature, but I seem to detach my tailgate a lot when I do projects at the house. It sounds great, but if it inhibits how I remove my tailgate, I might have second thoughts.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
THe 2nd gen mechanism is behind the tail light, not inside the gate. Someone probably could mod one to work

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Nothing more than a simple hydraulic piston, could use any one off of anything really so long as it fits.
Thats the problem, finding the one that will fit. I've tried it with about 6 different cylinders and couldn't make them fit or work correctly without cutting into the tailgate or the bed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thats the problem, finding the one that will fit. I've tried it with about 6 different cylinders and couldn't make them fit or work correctly without cutting into the tailgate or the bed.
Well of course, once you find the right one thats the key.

Personally I dont see the value in it at all since I often remove my gate. What I do like and have yet found is the same metal bracket supports for my T100. I am almost ready to take them with me should I sell the truck and mount them to the new one cause they are far superior to the simple cables.

·
Registered
187 Posts
DeeZee makes them for almost all applications, just give them a call. It is a shock absorber with special taps on the end that use factory hardware to secure them in place. With the tailgate closed, the assy sits inside the gap where the tailgate cables are. I believe they sell for around $50 or so... and if not DeeZee, i think there is one other company that makes them. Pretty sure it would be the same design that is factory on the 2nd Gens.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
DeeZee doesn't make them for our Tundra's. Just Tacoma's. I've called them. They keep promising (for 3 years now) to have one for the 1st Gen DC, but haven't made one yet.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
But if you use one from lets say trunk wouldn't it give resistance when lifting the tail gate as well? or is the dampening only one way - to lower it?

P.S. its for those people that are lazy or want to use one finger to operate the tail gate. Come on, dump that gym membership and loose some lard by lifting tail gate.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
It is resistive on the 2nd gen. To keep the gate from slamming. It helps with closing. Safer too.
I don't think doing this would negate the benefits of your gym membership.
Vincas, did you take the springs off your garage door? That's the manly thing to do

·
Registered
187 Posts
These are not valved the same as a hatchback shock. Those shocks are valved to have outward thrust to push the hatch open. On tailgates they are normally valved to have outward resistance, so that it absorbs some of the load as the tailgate opens. This creates a slower and softer opening. When closing the tailgate, the valving opens allowing for a much faster retracting of the shock. It still has some slight resistance so that you dont SLAM the tailgate.

I will see if I can check my catalog system to see if I can find the other manufacturer for these, I know I remember seeing them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got it, I remember now...

Hopkins Manufacturing (Hoppy) makes something called the Easy Lift. Its a torsion bar/spring that sits under the tailgate. It preloads tension on the spring as the tailgate opens, alllowing the tailgate to open without dropping down with such force. That tension that is loaded on the spring allows closing the tailgate with less effort. Its not as graceful to open as DeeZee's EZ Down, but its better than nothing. Claims it only takes 15 minutes to install, and runs like $30. Have yet to install one since everyone goes with EZ Downs, but give it a shot.

Hoppy makes the Easy Lift for 2004-2006 Tundra, and 2007+.

·
Registered
295 Posts
has anyone come across a resolve for this yet?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Actually I have one on my Tundra

( It is called a tailgate assist bar )

It is a U shaped spring ( or torsion bar ) that is barely visible when the tailgate is open.

It is universal and works well on Toyotas and other trucks

The tailgate is not that heavy but when I carry bags or tools in one hand, it is nice to be able to open said tailgate with just one hand

As I use the truck ( with camper shell ) to actually camp, my wife can open the tailgate easily as well.

·
2,875 Posts
It's a shame that the deezee never made it to market for us dc owners. I'm not drilling holes in my bed and tailgate for a torsion bar.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You could just fab up a bracket that would attach to the tailgate hardware points and move the pivot point to the tailgate back (faces in towards the bed when closed). Attach another adapter to the bedrail. Then use the EZ Down damper... ;)

Yes...it's gonna be exposed but at least it has a good chance of working... ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts