Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have broken both of my tailgate straps on my 04 DoubleCab and NO ONE can get this part for me. I've checked Napa, AutoZone, Oriley's, Advanced Auto. And they can't find the strap for a doublecab. Apparently it is a different strap than a regular cab. My nearest dealership is 30 miles away. Does anyone know where I might be able to get this at? The straps should be about 17" long and the regular cab straps are only about 13-14" long. Any help would be great!:tu:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mail order them from any of the genuine Toyota parts houses on line. There are also a few Toyota dealerships that support this web forum that could take your order. Then let UPS throw them on your front porch.
Cheap? Absolutely not since I'd assume these would be Toyota parts.
There are also wreck dismantlers that sell used transmission/engines etc on Ebay. Locate one of them and see if they can sell you a used set. Search Ebay for "Tundra transmission" or "Tundra engine" and I'll bet a number of prospects will pop up. Like this one....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I got replacement straps for my 2004 DC at NAPA. Not an exact fit but did the job. I took the old strap off my truck and took it in and sized it up with one of the replacement straps. I think the brand was "Help" and you can find it in the aisle with all the generic replacement parts.

No problems with my replacements and have had them over a year. I did have to lay the one end against a grinder to make it a little thinner to fit over the top retaining bolt but other than that no problems.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it's called the "stay assembly", you can find it at toyota-parts.com, for about $7 apiece. Can't tell much from the drawing on the screen, but it looks right. Don't know what shipping will cost.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I replaced the stay assemblies on my '04 DC about 6 months ago. I bought the replacement parts from Conicelli Toyota in Pennsylvania and had them shipped to me - don't recall the price.

On mine, they broke because where the cables bend in half while the tailgate is closed, the plastic coating had cracked. That let moisture in, and the cables themselves rusted clean through.

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Get em at the dealer there cheap enough. Why waste time going around to all the aftermarket places?

·
Registered
655 Posts
get me your VIN #,il beat anybodys price on them,and i can ship them to you,im outta las vegas,but the straps are light,so shipping wont be much.i just punch in a couple of part #,and the most expensive one is $6.40 your cost.just let me know if i can help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts