Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Would this already have been installed on my truck that I bought a couple weeks ago or will I have to get them to put this on? JB

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yowsa, they need to repaint the tailgate afterwards? It's about time they came out with a fix but I'll stick with the TailGator, which is most likely stronger anyway.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Would this already have been installed on my truck that I bought a couple weeks ago or will I have to get them to put this on? JB
you can check with toyota...more than likely its not(unless they did it so they wouldnt have problems like the 05/06 models). they may have redesigned the inside of the tailgates on the 07 models is what i mean.

greenmtnman....yeah,that tailgator is NICE!!! when i save up some cash, this is a mod that will definitely be done to my truck!!:tu:

·
Registered
157 Posts
its not a recall. A lot of people are finding out when going to the dealer for it that the tailgate must be damaged first in order to get the tsb done. Some had luck in getting it done without it being damaged first though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Doesnt 03/07 qualify as "Later" than 02/07?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Doesnt 03/07 qualify as "Later" than 02/07?
x2 :confused:

My build date is 03.07 as well, so I hope I have this too. I just loaded my dirt bike in the back this past weekend for the first time, and the tailgate felt as strong as any other truck. Now the soft *** rear leafs is another story. I've bottomed the truck empty going the speed limit over a drainage "ditch." Not impressed with the springs on this truck AT ALL.

·
Registered
666 Posts
So my tailgate isn't bent (well very slightly bent, but it would be a tough sell), and only because I have been very carefull because I read all the complaints about the weak tailgate on ts. Does anyone know if this kit can be bought from Toyota if your tailgate is not yet bent? If so, how much? Or am I better loading my buddies ATV into the back of my truck and letting the tailgate get bent? Whoops I hope no Toyota people are reading. I probably wouldn't actually try to bend it on purpose, but it seems like better that then having my tailgate get bent by accindent after the warranty is up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can not see this kit helping much. looks like two pieces and to me the joint looks like it is still right in the middle where you would be loading bikes. looks like it would still bend right in the middle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wanted to see the link to the pdf file at the very begining of this post. It doesn't work for me. Can anybody post up a link for the part description or part number toyota uses for the upgrade?
thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got pics of the finished product over at TN in the tailgate TSB thread if anybody wants to check them out.

When I took the truck in for the fix, I had ordered the parts ahead of time. I got a call from the parts dept after they came in (about 2 weeks) took a trip down to the stealership and picked up the parts. Instead of paying for them, went to the service dept, with TSB in hand. Service rep had not yet heard of the TSB and I explained some people were having problems getting the fix covered. Service Rep understood and scheduled an appointment to drop the truck off.

Dropped the truck off, only to find out it was going to be a few days to install the parts, paint, etc. So I just left them the tailgate. Took them 4 days to do the work, but the tailgate came out perfect and didn't have to pay a dime. :tu:

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Dropped the truck off, only to find out it was going to be a few days to install the parts, paint, etc. So I just left them the tailgate. Took them 4 days to do the work, but the tailgate came out perfect and didn't have to pay a dime. :tu:
Does the tailgate protector sit a little bit higher?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the tailgate protector sit a little bit higher?
No, you can't even tell. As soon as I got home I pulled the protector off just to see if they actually made the repair.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts