Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Sequoia Limited (4WD)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently the tailgate on my 2003 Sequoia stopped locking. I replaced the latch/lock actuator assembly less than a year ago with a part from RockAuto and everything worked great until about a week ago. Every other door in the vehicle locks and unlocks properly when using the fob, door locks and key hole(s), except for the tailgate. I also have noticed that when I lock the truck with the fob, it no longer beeps and only beeps when unlocking the vehicle. I have seen others with this issue but haven't seen any solutions. I'm hoping it is just the lock actuator/latch part that went bad and not a more complex wiring issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One reason is as the hatch handle above the plate gets rusted and messed up, or if you have replaced it, the cable it attaches too tightens. There may be too much tension on the actuator cable that moves the locking mechanism at the bottom, make sure there is some play. Open the back hatch and pop off the lower panel, remove metal cover and make sure it has some play at the bottom or detach the cable and try to lock (with the door open), reattach cable and see if it locked. there could also be rust buildup at the bottom of the hatch inside. Take it apart and start experimenting, good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Does the rear hatch open and close correctly? I recently had an issue where the mechanism wasn't working correctly and would get stuck and wouldn't latch when the latch hits the pin. It turns out that the cable had popped off the little bracket inside the door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One reason is as the hatch handle above the plate gets rusted and messed up, or if you have replaced it, the cable it attaches too tightens. There may be too much tension on the actuator cable that moves the locking mechanism at the bottom, make sure there is some play. Open the back hatch and pop off the lower panel, remove metal cover and make sure it has some play at the bottom or detach the cable and try to lock (with the door open), reattach cable and see if it locked. there could also be rust buildup at the bottom of the hatch inside. Take it apart and start experimenting, good luck

I just did this and mine had too much tension and it was not allowing enough room for the actuator to move. After some minor adjustments it will lock.

But that left me with a strange issue where if I use the key fob everything unlocks fine, but if I try to lock the doors using the fob none of my doors lock but I get a long beep. However, if I use the lock switch on the drivers door everything locks and unlocks no problem (haven't tried the passengers side but I assume it works too).

Not trying to jack the thread but if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
132 Posts
The long beep indicates the car senses a door is still open. You can still lock the doors from the door switch with the a door still open.

·
Registered
2003 Sequoia Limited (4WD)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the rear hatch open and close correctly? I recently had an issue where the mechanism wasn't working correctly and would get stuck and wouldn't latch when the latch hits the pin. It turns out that the cable had popped off the little bracket inside the door.
Hatch opens and closes just fine, but it wont lock. Tailgate window also works fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts