Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cracked my windshield on my '08 Sequioa...I'm so mad I could just kick myself!! :mad2: .

Here's how I did it.

I was cleaning the wipers, using one of those little wiper rejuventor wipes. I lifted the wiper arm and rotated the blade so I could wipe the squeegee portion of the wiper. Little did I know, that it only takes a bit of rotation of the wiper blade itself to disconnect it from the arm. No clips, no positive lock...nuthin!! When I rotated the blade, the steel arm became disconnected, and smacked the windshield (with great speed thanks to the rather strong spring) resulting in a VERY loud smack. YIKES! I thought. I looked at the windshield closely, and there appeared to be no damage.

However, as my wife was driving the next day...just sitting there at a stoplight, she watched a crack grow and spread across the lower right windshield. You guessed it....originating in the very spot that the wiper arm smacked the windshield the night before. Dag nab it!!

We've only had the vehicle for 3 days, and I've already blemished it. Good thing its covered on my insurance. Has anybody had to put a new windsheild in a Gen2 Sequoia? I'll obviously have the replacement done professionally, but is there anything I should have them watch out for..or request up front?

Cheers, TJ

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Moral of the story: If you can't replace a wiper without cracking the windshield you should only sit in the passenger seat. You are not allowed to run the radio and especially not allowed to drive it. :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be spending plenty of time riding shotgun since the wife loves driving it so much. With all dues respect...and having changed probably thousands of wipers in my time...this is the first one I've seen where the blade itself has no positive engagement with the wiper arm. In short, it simply falls off when rotated. Live and learn, and all lessons come at a price.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
"Toolman" must mean big power tools :D

Gentle is the word of the day. Relax, fix it and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'll be spending plenty of time riding shotgun since the wife loves driving it so much. With all dues respect...and having changed probably thousands of wipers in my time...this is the first one I've seen where the blade itself has no positive engagement with the wiper arm. In short, it simply falls off when rotated. Live and learn, and all lessons come at a price.
Thousands of wipers? Do you work in a wiper factory? That's a lot of wipers. :boink:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
wipers seem to be a major concern for you huh? lack of rain sensing ones and now they break your windshield. stay away from the truck. stay away.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
Jeezaloo guys... give the OP a break. It was a fairly large consequence (cracked windshield) to a very small action (wiper blade disconnect); I think I'd be a little shocked myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geez...I just joined this forum, and already no shortage of bashing me, eh? No worries, I can take. I couldn't help but notice another thing about this forum...that being....most people just read, and don't reply. Makes me wonder if the average Sequoia driver might not get his hands dirty too often.

Anyway, no, I've got no hangup on wipers either...rain sensing, or otherwise. And yes, I changed thousands of wipers. I do lots of side work. Go easy on me fellas.....I'm just young grasshopper in this Sequoia forum, but that is not to suggest that I don't know which end of the hammer to hold!...and which one to thunk ya on the head with!! All in good fun. At least one guy sympathizes with me. Thanks remmy....

Cheers, Toolman_Johnny

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'll obviously have the replacement done professionally, but is there anything I should have them watch out for..or request up front?

Cheers, TJ
The forum is all in good fun, you are correct that there are a lot more look-e-loos than posters in this subforum. I think the majority of them are Tundra owners who wish they had a Sequoia :behindsofa:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Geez...I just joined this forum, and already no shortage of bashing me, eh? No worries, I can take. I couldn't help but notice another thing about this forum...that being....most people just read, and don't reply. Makes me wonder if the average Sequoia driver might not get his hands dirty too often.

Anyway, no, I've got no hangup on wipers either...rain sensing, or otherwise. And yes, I changed thousands of wipers. I do lots of side work. Go easy on me fellas.....I'm just young grasshopper in this Sequoia forum, but that is not to suggest that I don't know which end of the hammer to hold!...and which one to thunk ya on the head with!! All in good fun. At least one guy sympathizes with me. Thanks remmy....

Cheers, Toolman_Johnny
Don't judge us all by the actions of a few...I personally don't derive any joy from berating those who already feel bad about what's happened :rolleyes:

Guess what? We've all done stupid ****, and will continue to do so. Many of us encourage questions - even silly ones - and having owned both a Tundra and a Sequoia, I'd be happy to answer any inquiry for which I actually know the answer :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't judge us all by the actions of a few...I personally don't derive any joy from berating those who already feel bad about what's happened :rolleyes:

+1. In fact, I appreciate you letting us know that the wipers detach quite easily off the wiper arms. I'll remember that when changing them in the spring. Good to know!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sure as heck, when you WANT them to come off, it'll take a power tool.

When you don't, they just fall off.

Sorry to hear about your calamity! I've always worried about that happening (usually when I'm changing blades) so I always lay an old bath towel on the windshield.

Also, that 'rejuvenator wipe' is just an alcohol-soaked pad. Every once in a while, take some newspaper and some rubbing alcohol and wipe down the wiper blades and give the windshield a good 'scrub'. The alcohol will break up the 'mung' that builds up.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
'MUNG'- automotive technical jargon :ts:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I hate that sinking feeling in your gut when you do something like that. I've done a lot of wipers - working at a Jiffy Lube in HS and College and it seems the designs have gotten worse lately. Personally, I'm a huge Rain-X fan and rarely use my wipers at all so I get 2-3 years out of a set before they deteriorate.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
The forum is all in good fun, you are correct that there are a lot more look-e-loos than posters in this subforum. I think the majority of them are Tundra owners who wish they had a Sequoia :behindsofa:
theres probally alot of look e loos cause this is TUNDRASOLUTIONS not SEQUOIASOLUTIONS :) its not even toyotasolutions or anything..its TUNDRA hahaha

so yeah, alot of the main people do come over here to look. also, some people are just too polite and tactful to pick on you for stuff...some move on with the "if u dont have anything nice to say, dont say it" mentality. some of us just pick on ya. heck, i attempted to debadge my truck the other day. oops. little toyota came off w/o issue. bigger TUNDRA started to come off and i pulled too hard and it bent in half and the corner gouged the clear coat. dammit. so i had to remove it and order a new emblem to cover the blemish. oh well. it does look better w/o toyota now though hahaha so yeah, we all been there. we all pick on ya too. no worries.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thought I'd close the loop on this one.

I got the windshield replaced on Friday. Insurance company wanted me to go through Safelite, but I read enough horror stories about their low quality glass and workmanship to go elsewhere. So, I used a local Glass Doctor...I've been very happy with other work they've done for me in the past, and this was no different. They used PPG glass (read: high quality...unlike Safelite). The job would have cost me almost $800, but it was covered by my insurance (zero deductible on comp). I didn't know this, but there is a heated section on this windshield that is supposed to de-ice the wipers when they are in the park position. I guess this heated option makes it a slightly more expensive windshield.

In terms of the wipers, they are indeed supposed to positively engage to the wiper arm, via a couple of plastic tabs that need to be squeezed to disengage. Turns out, one of these tabs had been broken (unbeknown to me)..perhaps by the previous owner. So, this is why it came off of my wiper arm so easily. Just the same, be careful when messing with your wipers.

For what it's worth, I put replacement wipers on too...so they are now positively locked to the arm. The new wipers are OEM, and the design is slightly different (better locking tabs) that the ones that came on the vehicle.

Cheers,
Toolman_Johnny

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for mentioning Glass Doctor! I had done local searches for windshield replacement and the only thing I was getting was the local Safelite place. Did a search for Glass Doctor and its even closer than Safelite!

BTW, I had Safelite install a replacement windshield on my Honda Accord last year. It's noticeably thinner and I get some wind noise from the top, along with a generally louder road noise. Not cool, but it was who my insurance company sent out when I went through them. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad it helped. Glass Doctor does all of my glass related work. I've had them replace broken double pane arched window sashes, instal a frameless shower enclosure, install mirrors, etc. My local Glass Doctor shop is an absolute pleasure to work with and it's been my experience, that their prices are lower than others. Like all of their work, this windshield installation was perfect, and several weeks later, I can still report that there are no leaks, wind noises, etc. It's good as new, and you'd never know I had it replaced. I am in no way affiliated with Glass Doctor...I'm just one very happy customer, that's all.
Cheers, Toolman_Johnny

1 - 20 of 20 Posts