Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda wanna hear what tundra owners have to say against buying a tundra haha. so here's my situation:

I own a 2004 2.4L 4cyl 2wd reg cab Tacoma with less than 35k (value around $9k). never given me problems other than new tires since the old ones started to dry crack from lack of use (previous owner was a flight attendant) and uneven wear. just put $600 worth of General grabber AT2 rubber on it with an allignment. upgraded stereo, tonneau, and herculiner.

I'm sick of the 4cyl and its lack of power and i want an access cab cause its a bother to only fit 1 other person comfortably. 4wd would be nice in the winter too but i can make do without. if i got a tundra though, it would be 4wd

I want a 2000-2001 access cab 4wd v8 Tundra with less than 80k. I'm hoping to spend under $10 grand and MAYBE push to 11 for the perfect truck. the 2000-2002 tundra is my dream truck (hate the 03 and up grills) and i would love to have a V8

gas prices are no big deal as i make enough to cover it either way (im 17 btw) but any major repairs are gonna screw me over. i may only have the truck for a year or so until i go to college.

basically, why should i stick with the tacoma over the tundra and what would you do in this situation?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I think a Tundra would be a great upgrade for you, but, a couple of comments.

You will have to search for a clean, under 80K miles 1G 2000-2002. You also say you only
want it for about a year before school. Based on your old reliable and recent tires
and upgrades, I would stay with the Taco and save your money.

Plenty of time for a new(er) Tundra later, IMO.

·
Registered
313 Posts
my first truck was a 2.7L tacoma 4 banger, and after it got wrecked i got a 2000 access cab with the 4.7; so i've pretty much made the same switch that you're thinking about making. as far as the rear seat goes, the access cab will fit more than one other person, but i don't know about the "comfortably" part. the engines however, are worlds apart. the power that the v8 makes is unbelievable compared to what you have now. however, if you're looking in that range model year, go with one of the newer ones. like i said i have a 2000 so it's pre-iforce, which is the one thing i would change about my truck. i believe '01 and newer has the iforce which is good for another 45 horsepower or something like that i believe.

overall, my tacoma was a great truck and i was distraught for 2 weeks when it got totaled. however, i am absolutely in love with my tundra and would never go back

·
Registered
313 Posts
jbtoy posted while i was typing my response, so i didnt get to read it before i responded. but he does make some good points. if you're not going to be holding onto it for very long, spending the money on the tundra may not be the best idea. you may feel pretty golden right now...but take it from someone who started their 3rd year of college...you're gonna want that money haha, it seems to disappear REAL quick

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys. as far as the new engine goes, that started in 2005 which is way out of my price range. plus i hate the 03 and up grills with a passion and a swap would be too much work for me.

im still not sure how long ill have it for. depending on where i go, it may be able to come with me or ill leave it at home and have my dad drive it around every so often just to keep it running. and ill be home often enough to drive it there. i just dont want to insure it that whole time. i could use that extra $8,000. but a valid point nonetheless

my dad will buy my tacoma off me and sell his carolla so that end is taken care of. im willing to wait as long as i have to to find that perfect tundra. i dont want to rush in and regret it like with the tacoma.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
...you may feel pretty golden right now...but take it from someone who started their 3rd year of college...you're gonna want that money haha, it seems to disappear REAL quick
Sounds like voice of experience and good advice.

..like i said i have a 2000 so it's pre-iforce, which is the one thing i would change about my truck. i believe '01 and newer has the iforce which is good for another 45 horsepower or something like that i believe.
Just for accuracy to help, there is no pre-Iforce. The Iforce was really just a badge name for V8. It was used for all of the Tundras, from 2000 up.

The HP numbers went like this for the stock factory 4.7L:

2000-2004 @ 245HP (not counting the CA version at 240HP and of course SC versions)

2005-2006 @ 271HP

·
Registered
515 Posts
This:
...just put $600 worth of General grabber AT2 rubber on it with an allignment. upgraded stereo, tonneau, and herculiner....

i may only have the truck for a year or so until i go to college.
+ This:
im willing to wait as long as i have to to find that perfect tundra. i dont want to rush in and regret it like with the tacoma.
= Keep the taco.

IMHO, as long as the Tacoma is running w/no problems, keep it and make due. Not to mention, that if you do need transportation on campus, a little Taco is much easier to motor around in and find parking... You don't want to be worried about your bigger (and more expensive) ride getting messed with.

Lastly - the fact that your Taco is so small while in college is a major plus. "Sorry, only room for me and the hottie, ya'll gotta walk your asses back to the dorm." :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Go with a 2002 at the earliest. The 2000 has a terrible straight back rear seat and no posi. The 2001 has no posi. I believe in 2002 posi is standard in all
4x4 models. As far a tundra vs. a taco, A tundra is a truck, a taco is a sort of truck.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Kinda wanna hear what tundra owners have to say against buying a tundra haha. so here's my situation:

I own a 2004 2.4L 4cyl 2wd reg cab Tacoma with less than 35k (value around $9k). never given me problems other than new tires since the old ones started to dry crack from lack of use (previous owner was a flight attendant) and uneven wear. just put $600 worth of General grabber AT2 rubber on it with an allignment. upgraded stereo, tonneau, and herculiner.
Your truck is, for all practical purposes, new.
Because you got it 'previously owned' all the depreciation loss was taken by the past owner, not you, and you got the price deal.

See those pictures of Toyotas, loaded with a dozen armed men and bouncing over rough and rocky tracks of Asia?
They are 4-cylinder Tacomas. You, in fact, have plenty of power.
It's just that it is so much fun having gobs of extra power if you want to play for a few seconds or be in the position of having to slow down at the top of the freeway on-ramp rather than pray you have enough pep to merge.

I'm sick of the 4cyl and its lack of power and i want an access cab cause its a bother to only fit 1 other person comfortably. 4wd would be nice in the winter too but i can make do without. if i got a tundra though, it would be 4wd
There is a great video of a Sherman Tank sliding into the ditch during The Battle of the Bulge. I'm betting that most of your 'snow driving' is on cleaned roads and 4X4 is something that would be mighty nice, but un-necessary. Cheaper to buy chains for each wheel.

My Gen-1 is an access-cab. It is great having my stuff inside but if I were to need (need) to carry people on a regular basis, the 4-door is the proper body.
If the extra bodies are children, the access cab will do for a dozen years, until they are large enough to be uncomfortable.

I want a 2000-2001 access cab 4wd v8 Tundra with less than 80k. I'm hoping to spend under $10 grand and MAYBE push to 11 for the perfect truck. the 2000-2002 tundra is my dream truck (hate the 03 and up grills) and i would love to have a V8
I bought my 06 for $13,000.00 with less than 20,000 miles. I doubt many steals are left.
Traditionally, trucks have always had high resale and lately a bunch of used trucks were removed from inventory by our government with the stupid program that crushed trade-in's for new vehicles; the result is that there are now fewer, more expensive used trucks on the market.

gas prices are no big deal as i make enough to cover it either way (im 17 btw) but any major repairs are gonna screw me over. i may only have the truck for a year or so until i go to college.
DUH!
Your hormones want V-8 excitement.
You didn't even think about keeping the truck while you are away in college.

basically, why should i stick with the tacoma over the tundra and what would you do in this situation?
Because I can look back.....and you can't.

1. Keep the truck. Any woman who will have sex with you won't give a damn what you drive.....unless it cost over a hundred grand.
Guys might be impressed with what you drive, but will forget you exist later that day.

2. Do some Financial Planning. Seriously. You can get a wealth of information (free) at: www.ricedelman.com and libraries are full of books on the subject.
Why?
Why are you going to college?
How will you apply all that knowledge?
What will you do with your income?
How will you finance college?

Financial planning is a part of mapping out your life. You will live it, you might as well make it as wonderful as you can.

·
Registered
515 Posts
4x4 models. As far a tundra vs. a taco, A tundra is a truck, a taco is a sort of truck.
Disagree.
A Tundra is a big truck, great for doing big truck like things.

• Hauling stuff
  • Pulling stuff
  • Carrying people (double cab)
  • Motoring down the freeway
A gen1 Tacoma is a compact truck, great for doing compact truck like things.

• Hauling stuff
  • Pulling smaller stuff
  • Motoring down tight trails
I've owned both a gen1 2.7L Taco and a Gen1 4.7L iForce Tundra, both 4wd.... The Tundra can do lots of things the Tacoma cant.... but the Taco can GO lots of places where the Tundra can't.

As far as power goes, yup, the Tundra gots lots.... but, that little 4cyl has a surprising amount of giddyup; it never left me stranded or worried that I won't make it home. Keep in mind that Toyota has a proven history of making bullet proof 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah... I'm the same age too... dont get a tundra until you can afford to pay your gas... I pay for my own gas and it's about $60-100 a week. My old 00 was getting worse mileage so no dont do it yet. I monitored how much i spent only on fuel this year and it was close to $2000. Be glad that thing is a 4banger... I love my power and being able to get going fast and hard but it really isn't worth it. I'm going to get a 4 banger taco or an accord soon so I dont use this truck as much.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
The HP numbers went like this for the stock factory 4.7L:

2000-2004 @ 245HP (not counting the CA version at 240HP and of course SC versions)
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I feel so ripped off! Being a man and all 5hp is 5hp and I was never aware that I didn't have it! THANKS JOHN! :rolleyes: ruined my day.

All jokes aside, from the logic and reasons you gave you got some really good advice from the guys here, particularly from 00 tundra, jbtoy and shatto(who points out very good points:first:). Keep in mind every one of these members are very biased towards Tundra's and still haven't told you to jump into one. That tells you something

I had for a short time a bullet proof '93 pick up(pre tacoma) and loved that truck to death. I too wanted more room and of all things a V8. Do I regret? Never. But the difference is I didn't have college to go to or save money for. I used my truck for work very often. My 4cyd had over 200k miles (still runs today) and I found my truck while looking for a 04 pre-runner Tacoma(which is beyond overpriced).

For you, the best thing to do is stick with that Taco, throw a mod or two at it for added HP if you wish, or get a hold of a supercharged 3.4L v6 to drop in(which would be a rocket, sold at Cabe Toyota for about $2500 new). Keep that extra cheese and use it for school. I spend over $300 a month on gas alone. :td: Nothing cool about that.

If that isn't enough to convince you, see below for what happens when M.A.D.ness takes over.
Originally Posted by tundrunk
Hmmm, haven't added this up in a while, I'll try not to miss anything. All rounded numbers since I can't recall exactly what everything was...:confuseda:

window tint 130
coilovers 700
rear shocks 130
wheels/tires 1100
head unit 300
amp 350
sub/custom(ugly) box 250
door speakers 250
wire kit 80
capacitor 100
ipod 200
2cans of bed liner spray for the bed caps 18
spray paint for mirrors 6
dynomat for back wall 40
spicntech muffler/couplers 60
JBA headers 391
gaskets 45
Toyota header nuts 26
heavy lock cable for spare 30
fishing line for debadge 5
back up lights 10+ 18pack of budlight
sticker in back window 5
lug nuts 24
44 magnum valve covers 8
cheap rubber floor mats 15

****new items****
TRD Kazuma LSD 321
Camburg uniball UCA's 540
2 more cans of bed liner and adhesion promoter for door trim 28
Resonator delete 30
New kicker sub 120
Tool box free! (thanks Easy Run)

holy crap $5284 so far.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I say go for it!
Life is short, if it will make you happy dump the taco and get a tundra! you know you wanna :D

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Okay, so I don't own a 1st Gen, but I think I can offer some insite to this situation.

When I started college (18 years ago) I had a hand me down 1984 Nissan 4x4. We bought this truck new and drove the snot out of it. It got me from A to B very weel and then one day the head gasket took a crap (second time) and when I went to repalce it I had to replce the heas at the same time (man was I glad i didn't have a payment or big gas bill (gas was about 1.50 or so)). Replaced the head and got the truck on the road. Met my wonderful wife and bought her a new Camry (big Mistake #1). Graduated and Bought a 91 Toyota Xtra Cab 4x4 SR% (back when SR5 ment something)(big mistake #2). Moved home got married, sold the truck and bought a used beater from my inlaws (positive #1).

Got a better job, bought a house sold the beater (mistake #3) and bought a 94 T-100 (great truck never left me stranded) drove it for 4 years and traded it on a 98 Dakota (not a mistake), traded the Dakota on a Powerstroke (mistake #4). I WILL STOP COUNTING MISTAKES AT THIS POINT AS I FEEL THAT I LEARNED MY LESSON.

The point being is yes you may want to live life to the fullest, have as much power as you possibly can and use the crap out of it. If I had it all over to do again, I would still have bought the 91 Xtra Cab (best vehicle I have ever owned) and riven it into the ground (all vehicles starting with the T-100 have been used for work, driven for 100+ K miles and then traded in). If I had kept the first Toyota I bought and used a company truck (at least for the first few years) I would have saved my credit score (allowing me lower payments), my list of vehicles owned would be way shorter and I would have never bought another non-Toyota vehicle.

My wife kept the Camry until 98 when we bought a Tahoe that she traded off last year (175,000 miles). She has ownwed 4 cars in the time we have been together, I have owned 8. My need for power and my inability to see that what I had worked just fine has cost me a fortune.

I have passed this on to my 18 year old son who is going to college driving a 92 Toyota pick up. Great milage and it's paid for.

These are two things you have over the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really loving the responses here. I was expecting more positives from a Tundra Forum but it's pretty great to see you guys are all open minded.

With that said, as of this Saturday, i will most likely disregard all of your advice and buy one anyways provided my mechanic gives it a clean bill of health. And I have two reasons for this:
1. My top choice for college (which SHOULD accept me no problem) allows a vehicle all four years so whatever I have will come with me. It's a bit more in the middle of nowhere so 4x4 will give my family and I a little more peace of mind. I was looking at tacos for better mileage but everything comparable (same years, mileage, options) is at least a couple grand more expensive.
2. I picked up another job on the side with my friend. I've done landscaping with him for a while but we always had to borrow his dad's Sierra to tow the trailer around which was infrequent because he own a paving company and is usually off on jobs every day. We've always had to turn away customers because we can't work enough time to do their properties. Having our own truck (MY own truck) should give me the opportunity to make more money

·
Registered
819 Posts
"Open minded, F-That!", the Tundra is the one to have, if you need what it will do.

I've thought long and hard about getting the GenII Tundra with the 5.7-and all the extras but don't because my 2004 4.7 4WD, TRD/Tow AC does everything I need it to so very well.

I started back in 2003 with a Tacoma V6 4WD, it was stolen and wrecked and I decided to go up with the Tundra and make the payments on it as it was brand new and my loan was only for $14,500. I'm glad I did as I needed the tow ability of the Tundra for my boat in 2007, no way the 2003 Tacoma or even a current Tacoma is going to tow my 6,000lb+ boat much, never mind from FL-MA which I had done.

Smooth, quiet, dead-nuts reliable as I don't, or make that, haven't had the chance to take the truck off-road much, all the power I need, the 04 Tundra I have has been perfect.

While I'd like a 2010/2011 Tundra, they are much bigger than what I need and the Tundra is the perfect size for what I need it for.

Get the Tundra for sure.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
you'll love the Tundra. It's another experience altogether. I dig my '01. She only has 82k on her. I'll get a 2nd gen if she ever dies, but she just won't. In reality, an '05/'06 DC would be perfect for me (I haul more people than cargo nowadays) but I'll cross that bridge when I get there, which may be a long while still.

Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Really loving the responses here. I was expecting more positives from a Tundra Forum but it's pretty great to see you guys are all open minded.

With that said, as of this Saturday, i will most likely disregard all of your advice and buy one anyways provided my mechanic gives it a clean bill of health. And I have two reasons for this:
1. My top choice for college (which SHOULD accept me no problem) allows a vehicle all four years so whatever I have will come with me. It's a bit more in the middle of nowhere so 4x4 will give my family and I a little more peace of mind. I was looking at tacos for better mileage but everything comparable (same years, mileage, options) is at least a couple grand more expensive.
2. I picked up another job on the side with my friend. I've done landscaping with him for a while but we always had to borrow his dad's Sierra to tow the trailer around which was infrequent because he own a paving company and is usually off on jobs every day. We've always had to turn away customers because we can't work enough time to do their properties. Having our own truck (MY own truck) should give me the opportunity to make more money
I say stick with the Taco...put a decent set of wheels and tires to make it look good if it bothers you (if you haven't already) and just drive it as is. Why...well, I bought a new 2003 Taco V6 in 2003 just AFTER graduating college, when I was planning the way you are...on what should happen, and the money I should make here and there. Unfortunately, that usually doesn't work out nearly as well as you hope, and in my case didn't work out and I had to get rid of the Taco (budget too tight for comfort). And I agree with the previous posts...it will be far easier to deal with the small taco than a Tundra. I currently have a T100 (the Tundra preqel, if you will), and it would have been way too big for the tiny college parking spaces (door dings will ruin your life...trust me). Other people wont care about your truck nearly as much as you do.

Oh and btw...i doubt having the Tundra will free up more time to landscape as you are going to be really managing the amount of time college will eat up anyway. Besides...your taco is rated to tow 3500 lbs anyway. Get a smaller trailer (since you cant borrow the big one often anyway) and use it for way less than the price of a Tundra if you need it. Again, trust me...youre gonna want that money for things other than a truck in college (I don't really need to list them do I:laughing3d:?). Weekends are WAY more fun with money.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Go for the tundra if you want then... with the taco you would probably be saving the money from your gas and using it to buy your food or just extra hard earned cash you don't need to spend.... you'll save like $20-30 a week on fuel and yadda yadda... I love my truck and i won't switch it for a Tacoma, but this thing aint kid friendly ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Since I was a in your shoes not too long ago (I'm 23 and graduated college in '09), I'd recommend you save up your money for school/life expenses and keep the Tacoma, at least until you finish college. It sounds like you've got a great truck, why risk giving it up for something just because you want a little more power?

I had a 95 2.7 4cyl Tacoma Reg Cab throughout college and I loved it. It was rock solid, easy and fun to drive, and great for occasionally hauling light loads for family and friends. I purchased an 04 Tundra Double Cab a few months ago, and I love it, but I have decided that I'm glad I didn't have it during college. It requires more maintenance (IMO), has worse gas mileage (-10 MPG), and is a bit more... challenging... to maneuver than the Tacoma. The spacious cab and V8 are nice, but as others have said, it doesn't sound like you need those things right now.

You mentioned something about major repairs. I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say this, but the '00 - '02 models have been known to have some transmission problems (planetary gear). I test drove an '00 tundra with 215k miles on it, and it was rock solid. But even the owner admitted that he always figured the transmission would be the first thing to go, and it made him reluctant to tow anything heavy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts