Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
108k and i finally got to cleaning the TB. i've put 10k on the truck in 17 months of owning it. anyway, when i pulled the air hose and exposed the butterfly the exterior was CLEAN. ultimately, nothing was removed from the outside of the vavle. when i stuck my finger past the valve on the bottom of the valve seat (think gravity) inside where the valve is closed tight there was a good sized drop of dirty oily residue. not black like the gunk that i cleaned out of the throat, but more like dirty, gas filled oil, about 1/2 as much as you'd get from a Viseene eye dropper. is that a normal amount of crud?

i basically just sprayed the gumout cleaner on a cotton rag and wiped until everything was clean. do i need to reset the ECU or will it figure it out soon enough? i did the MAF 2500 miles ago and reset then. i have a smog check due even tho it was smogged 17 months ago when i bought it (seems like Cali is really in need of some $$$).

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
If you just clean it up as you described you will be fine, no need to reset the computer. Smog checks can be a pain her in CA, having a good smog guy you deal with regularly makes it nice.

As far as the residue, it's probably no big deal as long as you cleaned it. Mine was only dirty after the butterfly.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
When I first got my truck about three years ago it had about 100k on it and I cleaned the TB and it was really dirty, mostly black carbon build-up. I'm sure how and where your truck was/is used depends alot on the amount of gunk build-up.

You just reminded me, I have to pay my regerstration and get my truck smog by the end of this month...we'll see if JBA's are really 50 state legal!!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
^ I did notice after purchase that the manual says on the front page "Only legal for off highway use" and I noticed there is no CARB# on the sticker that goes under the hood. I asked my smog guy about this and he told me to go to some website(can't remember the name) and punch in the number on the sticker to see if it is smog legal in CA.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was looking at the pcv, i think. does it screw into the valve cover? my chilton manual i.d's something that doesn't exist on my engine. i'm pretty sure it's it cuz when i pulled the hose it had alot of vacuum thru the hose pulling away from the pcv.

i am now running synthetic. also, thinking back there was an oily trd air filter that i pulled out when i got it. probably explains the drop of goop?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes, the PCV valve is on the valve cover (driver's side for my 2000 V-8). It's possible that yours screws into the valvecover and then should have a vacuum hose attached. Just unscrew it and take it to a dealer or auto-parts store for replacement. Mine has a rubber grommett in the valve cover that the plastic PCV valve sticks into. It's covered with a spongy rubber sheath and then has a spongy rubber hose attached to the valve.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Yes, the PCV valve is on the valve cover (driver's side for my 2000 V-8). It's possible that yours screws into the valvecover and then should have a vacuum hose attached. Just unscrew it and take it to a dealer or auto-parts store for replacement. Mine has a rubber grommett in the valve cover that the plastic PCV valve sticks into. It's covered with a spongy rubber sheath and then has a spongy rubber hose attached to the valve.
+2. Note that the PCV valve is not threaded into the valve cover; it is just held in via the grommet. It will wiggle out with some good pull pressure.

Most can just be cleaned with a few blasts of brake cleaner. If you hear the little ball rattle around freely inside, the valve is fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts