Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let everyone know Toyota released a TBS for the weak tail gate on the tacomas on 4/30/07.

I bent my tail gate loading a avt about 3 months ago:mad: but now its being fixed for free. They order the parts today and should be fixed by next week.:D

If anyone else bent thier tail gate or just wants the reinforcement bars added run to your toyota dealer.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks for posting.

Yeah, TBS kinda sounds like "Total BS". LOL. :D

I am not sure if you can get this one done if there is no damage to the tailgate yet. It states in the TSB:
"Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint."
I guess that one is open for interpretation and may be at the dealers discretion. I am sure it's not a problem if the service manager likes you though ....

·
Registered
666 Posts
Wait... my tail gate is slightly bent at the bottom. So I can go have this part installed for free? But if it wasn't bent they wouldn't add this part?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wait... my tail gate is slightly bent at the bottom. So I can go have this part installed for free? But if it wasn't bent they wouldn't add this part?
Over at TN, the word is that they'll do the TSB if the tailgate is damaged, but not as a preventative measure. Folks are pretty baffled. I'm not surprised. However, a few have claimed that their dealer is doing it for them preventatively. YYMV

Someone claimed the parts cost onlt $27. A few more $ for the bolts and rustproofing. I saw the TSB. If you're reaonably handy you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This was one of the first things I fixed on the truck when I got it. I bent it the first time I loaded my 600lb warrior in the back. Pulled the cheap plastic off and put diamond plate down. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks for posting.

Yeah, TBS kinda sounds like "Total BS". LOL. :D

I am not sure if you can get this one done if there is no damage to the tailgate yet. It states in the TSB:
"Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint."
I guess that one is open for interpretation and may be at the dealers discretion. I am sure it's not a problem if the service manager likes you though ....
Well, I have a "customer's specific complaint", the cheapo tailgate is like something found on a kids toy truck, I'm afraid to even use the dam box. Mine is "sprung" and won't close unless you push on one end to get it to latch. I haven't even worked the truck yet. I hate that tailgate (and the box)so much I feel like getting rid of the truck.

How can a company like Toyota let this get approved in the design stage. It makes no sense to me at all. The tailgate on my 1990 Toyota was much stronger.

·
Registered
50 Posts
At the risk of repeating info already posted on this board, you guys *have* seen this solution, right?

Tailgate Gator-Saver

Not cheap, especially for something that should have been on the truck to begin with, but certainly a better option than "getting rid of the truck".

·
Registered
457 Posts
At the risk of repeating info already posted on this board, you guys *have* seen this solution, right?

Tailgate Gator-Saver

Not cheap, especially for something that should have been on the truck to begin with, but certainly a better option than "getting rid of the truck".
looks like a well designed product. the price is ok but It would cost too much for ship to canada because of the size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The TSB is worded funny. It says "When replacing a bent tail gate.... A lot of dealers have taken that to mean the tailgate has to be bent before they can work on it.
That's not true. Toyota should have said "If the tail gate is bent...." I called my dealer here in Albuquerque, Karl Malone, and while the service manager said he hadn't heard of the TSB, he did look it up when I gave him the TSB number BO004-07. He called me back to say he'd ordered the parts. This was on Friday. On Monday (8/6/07), he called to say the parts were in and I set up an appointment for Wednesday (8/8/07).
The job is done. Good for that Service Manager, Fernando Ruiz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts