Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys- nice to find these forums because I've become a big fan of the Rav- Or at least the older models.

Question for the gear heads. Not being a Toyota "guy" I am unfamiliar with their all wheel drive systems. What type does the Rav use and has it changed since the 4.1? I know it only engages when the the drive wheels slip but technically how? Computer controled clutches? Viscous coupling? Why do some members on this forum use the letters FWD. Do they mean front wheel drive (which Rav's are) or four wheel drive? (which the Rav is not exactly):confused:

And, among all these happy fans, is any one else disappointed that the Rav has gotten larger, heavier, and more expensive? Tiny third row seats belong on vans.:cry:

·
Registered
111 Posts
My wife has the 05 rav AWD with a 5-speed - and this is the perfect size for this segment and 27MPG to boot in the smooth and powerful 2.4. Toyota made a big mistake upsizing this vehicle - though $$ is no more expensive to manufacture and they could push the MSRP higher into the ridiculous realm. You can buy full size, domestic Utes for 22K! The Highlander will take car of those who need an incrementally larger Toyota vehicle. Now we have no quality Mini-Ute on the market - even Suzuki has gone upmarket! (I purposely neglected Korean Junk Kia and Hyundai - dont get me started on those abominations).
Tech wize I think it depends if you have an auto or manual for the Awd; viscous clutch on the manual, ala Subie. FWD is front wheel drive. Me, I drive an 2007 Chevy Silvarado classic W/T 4WD with 5-speed. and 4.3L v6. $16,700 on sale this fall. And yes the gas milage sucks at 16MPG and I would go with a used? Mitsu Montero Sport if I had a do -over.

Grumpy

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can buy full size, domestic Utes for 22K!
LOL Where? Please point me in the direction because I am not familiar with this used car dealerships name? :D

Toyota made a big mistake upsizing this vehicle
Oh really, that is why they are selling more Rav4's than they ever have??? Check the sales numbers budy. Dont be jealous because you have an old school outdated looking Rav. Maybe it is time for you to upgrade and enjoy the comfort too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm not jealous- this is just the stupid american - bigger - heavier - uglier - less efficient bull crap. I like mini utes and Toyota just killed the mini ute segment. Good for toyota and bad for the envoronment. If you need a bigger (much better, frankly) Toyota crossover ute get a Highlander! Dealers around here usually have on hand price leaders for GMC and Chevy Trailblazers and Ford Explorers at the 22K price point; Portsmouth ford and Portsmouth chevrolet in NH. Depends if you like 12-17 MPG which can push the annual ownership cost up anothert 1/3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWD means FRONT wheel drive and AWD designates ALL, or 4 WD. Do not know what method they use to accomplish their traction control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWD means FRONT wheel drive and AWD designates ALL, or 4 WD. Do not know what method they use to accomplish their traction control.
I'm getting 26-27 mpg from my V6 RAV4. To top it off, that is at 80-85 on hwy. I was only getting 29-30 mpg from my 2003 Matrix which I gave to my daughter. I am willing to pay the 3-4 mpg penalty for the increased passenger & cargo space not to mention that a 269 h/p vehicle is more fun to drive than a 130 h/p one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not jealous- this is just the stupid american - bigger - heavier - uglier - less efficient bull crap. I like mini utes and Toyota just killed the mini ute segment. Good for toyota and bad for the envoronment. If you need a bigger (much better, frankly) Toyota crossover ute get a Highlander! Dealers around here usually have on hand price leaders for GMC and Chevy Trailblazers and Ford Explorers at the 22K price point; Portsmouth ford and Portsmouth chevrolet in NH. Depends if you like 12-17 MPG which can push the annual ownership cost up anothert 1/3.
Trailblazers, Explorers are far from full size. Full size is Yukon, Tahoe, Expedition. How is it worse for the environment? I believe they are using the same engine that you have in your RAV??? So we may use a mile or two more per gallon. In the big scheme of things we are still doing WAY better than full size suv's. Your logic does not make any sense. You are fighting a lost cause.:td: If I wanted a Highlander I would have got one. The Rav4 looks much better IMO.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am not fighting any battle, I am expressing my opinion. This battle is long lost on the conspicuous consumption crew. If ya'll like driving around in a jacked up tin-can Celica all-trac, polished over to look like a mid-sized suv for 25 grand - go throw your money away. Ever look at the front suspension on this thing? - pure econobox; goes out of alignment driving over a pebble! BUT, My wife wanted AWD and 27+ mpg and the leftover 5speed 2005 Rav4 we bought for $18K was the only game in town. Given the construction, the tincan is only worth 16-17K. I concede it accomodates better than a Subie impreza wagon (which are also priced stratospherically). But, now there are NO new AWD crossovers/suv in the entry price range. Yes, the RAV will have good resale value, Yes, we hope to get a long service life. But the fact remains that it is: poor handing, not particularly comfortable, somewhat noisy and not worth a penny more than the 18K we paid.

Grumpy in NH

·
Registered
111 Posts
Traction control would mainly utilise the multichannel ABS along with other engine control manipulations with the viscous clutch-coupled manual transmission vehicles. Gotta love that DBW in a manual tranny car - i wish they programmed for the old ECO and PWR switch - put that DBW to good use. In the 2005 2.4L its mainly set in the power mode with very agressive throttle tip in algorithms. With an eco mode the car might squeak into the 30MPG range.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am not fighting any battle, I am expressing my opinion. This battle is long lost on the conspicuous consumption crew. If ya'll like driving around in a jacked up tin-can Celica all-trac, polished over to look like a mid-sized suv for 25 grand - go throw your money away. Ever look at the front suspension on this thing? - pure econobox; goes out of alignment driving over a pebble! BUT, My wife wanted AWD and 27+ mpg and the leftover 5speed 2005 Rav4 we bought for $18K was the only game in town. Given the construction, the tincan is only worth 16-17K. I concede it accomodates better than a Subie impreza wagon (which are also priced stratospherically). But, now there are NO new AWD crossovers/suv in the entry price range. Yes, the RAV will have good resale value, Yes, we hope to get a long service life. But the fact remains that it is: poor handing, not particularly comfortable, somewhat noisy and not worth a penny more than the 18K we paid.

Grumpy in NH
Speak for your 05' only. Our 06' was a tad over 19K OTD. Our Rav handles better than some sports cars. Anyway you are free to have your opinion, but I have driven a 05 and now own a 06. I feel that I have the upper hand on experience on this one. The 05 is a whole different beast and the 06 out performs it hands down. Enjoy your 05.:clown:

·
Registered
111 Posts
What has changed specifically on the 06 to make it better? Does it have a new suspension? I have not crawled under an 06 to make a direct comparo to the 05. They are still just jacked up eco car / wagons and I dont understand the pricing - but whatever the market will bear i suppose. I actually like micro cars and would be interested in a Smart or Yaris or Scion xa or xb. the Toyotas appear on the cover to be a better value than a smart fortwo but lack the ultimate "shock" value that a mico car would have on the general public. - though that yaris 3 dr is pretty micro looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts